“The calm atmosphere and aura of another time set our mood” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa

The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Burlington
“The calm atmosphere and aura of another time set our mood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

After three hours of driving through Friday afternoon traffic it was amazing how easy it was to relax in the tranquil environment of the Lake Lure Inn. Our room was in the beachside building and the comfortable décor in this vintage motor lodge triggered warm memories of family trips long ago. However, the amenities were 21st century. And, walking on the boardwalk around the beach late in the evening gave us views of the moon and stars that cannot be found at home.

The only negative thing that we experienced was with the Sunday brunch. Our group was told that we would receive a 15% discount. When we went to pay for it as we entered, the cashier told us that it was 10%. We reasserted what we had been told and she let us know in no uncertain terms that it was indeed 10%. At that point we chose not to have the brunch. And, we heard another employee inform her that 15% was correct. This did not interfere too much with our good day; we joined friends at one of the restaurants nearby. And, the positives throughout the rest of the weekend earned the very good rating.

Room Tip: Since we were with 45 other couples who seemed pleased enough with their rooms, there are probably n...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

We rented a terrific home at Rumbling Bald Resort and four of us booked spa appointments at this Spa on the afternoon of March 28th. So to be fair, we were not guests at the Inn. We knew this property was older and did not go expecting the latest in spa innovations and facilities. It WAS older with a great deal of comfortable charm.

The "spa experience" was first class in terms of the services and the technicians. And that's the only reason I didn't give this a lower rating.

The problem was the noise level. For those of us who love spas -- the whole experience is about pampering and relaxation. The pampering was definitely there - my technician was as good as any "destination" spa I've ever been to. The problem was the noise level.

On this particular day there was a wedding party having manis & pedis. They were having a good old "girls" time -- laughing, giggling & drinking a few beers. I do not have a problem with that...in fact, I would totally defend their right to do that and would have bought a round of drinks for them. My issue was the total inability of the staff to control the noise level. We could hear them in our treatment rooms even! We complained as nicely as we could...and the noise level got louder. If they were even asked to hold the noise down; I'm sure their group basically said "screw 'em" we're having a wedding here tomorrow, spending some cash and we'll do as we please. And honestly, I can't blame them for that.

The blame rests squarely on the shoulders of management. We learned this is a popular area for weddings and wedding party guests were a healthy source of revenue. Can't blame them for needing to make money -- but if this happens routinely -- why in the world don't you separate these parties from the other guests? Let them have their fun and the rest of us have our quiet! Or perhaps you don't have other guests...or you just don't care?

As we were checking out, I spoke to the manager and asked that the mandatory 20% service charge be removed from my bill. I was told the 20% went to the technicians. Not wanting to take anything away from my technician, I finally paid the 20%.

But here's my message to the corporation running the place. This is so simple. Either separate the wedding party from the other customers (assuming you have other customers) or inform those who call to make appointments that a wedding party will be there and it could get noisy. Golf courses do that when you call to book a tee time and they've just punched the greens -- you go expecting less than perfect playing conditions (and normally paying a reduced green fee). If we'd been told what was going on, we'd have kept our expectations of peace, quiet, relaxation and tranquility much lower. Oh and p.s. -- all of our services ran 30 minutes late. Not a huge deal but uncommon in a professionally run spa.

As for my group...we'll never go back and certainly won't recommend this place. I'm sure I can find another spa to drop $150 in and not walk away feeling like I've my nerves are totally jangled!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank GypsyAtLast
Cary, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

February 28th 2014 my wife and I arrived and spent the weekend at the Lake Lure Inn and Spa, and we give this hotel a five star rating, The hotel staff, all of them, made us feel as though we were spending the weekend with family.
Our stay there was very relaxing, and the area views are outstanding, especially in the town of Chimney Rock a stones throw from the hotel
We recommend to anyone who stays there to eat at the hotel as the food was outstanding and much better than any of the local restaurants in the area, and the Sunday brunch is to die for!!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 218 just down the hall from where the late Patrick Swayze slept when filming the m...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank sdwr75
Fremont, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

Very nostalgic of the days of old so if you are too hung up on new amenities this may not be the place for you. I read a review that said there was no internet, no views of the lake, and the only ice you could get was from a cooler. This was all untrue there was internet free to guests but cell phone reception was horrible bc u are in a valley at the top of the mountains. From my room I had a view of the lake and so did most of the rooms the only one that had a parking lot/dumpster view was the side window of one the cottages. The gift shop/snack bar had an ice machine and so did the breezeway with a couple vending machines there too. It may be an inconvenience but when you go to a hotel that was built in 1927 that is trying to stay true to its beginnings yet cater to modern times I can see it being difficult. I did find the nightly fee to be a little exorbitant and they are trying hard to keep the rooms original but their renovations/repairs are not well applied. They probably are struggling to keep afloat but the less than professional repair jobs make it look rundown. They did have some great old photos and antiques throughout the hotel. BTW my friend got a no kidding picture of a ghostly apparition that we are still analyzing and their were some spectacular views...I will warn you the Lake Lure Cafe right next to the hotel is horrible! Slow service and food is on the edge of inedible. I would take the time to travel a lil bit down the road and get better food for breakfast or midday burger at another establishment.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Paula F
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We live near Lake Lure and my husband booked us a one-night stay in one of the haunted rooms for my birthday. Since we were visiting in the off-season, the hotel was very quiet and we only saw a few other guests. I was really impressed by the hotel interior, the lobby and hallways are filled with antique pictures and other objects, we enjoyed wandering around looking at everything. We stayed in Room 207 because it was purportedly haunted, but we sadly did not have any ghostly experiences. The room was a little smallish (as expected in older hotels) but the bed was very comfortable and everything was clean and neat. We had a glass of wine and some excellent chocolate torte at the Moose & Goose bar located in the lobby. The hotel felt very European to me with all the antiques and decor, I loved it and would recommend to anyone interested in history or a quiet romantic evening.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Meg1230
Fort Mill, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We came for a weekend get away. The room, facility, staff we exceptional. The breakfast was the wonderful. The omelette was the best I have ever had. The room was everything the website shows and more, especially the fire place. We stayed in the fortune cookie room. The only downside for a light sleeper is hearing the footsteps above in the kitchen, on the flip side the room has a great porch and view. Overall, one of the best places we have stayed.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul B
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is a beautiful inn, in a beautiful location. The staff was friendly and the Inn was beautiful. The views of Lake Lure are outstanding. I'm happy to recommend! Several very nice restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: The rooms in the Inn are much more quaint and cozy than those in the rear motor lodge.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
The Esmeralda Inn
The Esmeralda Inn
#1 of 3 in Chimney Rock

Been to The 1927 Lake Lure Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!