“We didn't want to eat anywhere else!”
Review of Huckleberry's - CLOSED

Huckleberry's
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The History of Huckleberry's Lake Lure In the early mornings of high school, you could find Michaila in the kitchen at Huckleberry's Lake Lure stirring up all kinds of "goodies." In April 2012, she began serving a full breakfast and lunch menu six days a week. By May 2013, Michaila had hired an Executive Chef, Jim Camillo, to join her in bringing you the restaurant's fine international cuisine. She also expanded to seven days a week in the Lake Lure Season. In December 2014, she opened another location in Tryon, NC, "Huckleberry's Tryon." The Tryon facility took off so fast and furious, that in May 2015, Chef Jim and Michaila closed their Lake Lure location and moved to Tryon full time.
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This is an adorable little place with fantastic food and very reasonable prices--but it was the service that just blew us away.

We visited Huckleberry's during a weekend stay at nearby Rumbling Bald. Since we were only at the resort a couple nights it didn't make sense to stock up our condo fridge. We dreaded having to negotiate the winding roads to dine out for every meal but weren't wowed by the food at Rumbling Bald, so we tried Huckleberry's for breakfast our first morning.

The breakfast was quite good and quite a deal. The pina colada French toast in particular…heaven! And I'm not usually a big fan of unsweet ice tea but whatever they put in theirs had me asking for refills. Ms. Kathy H., our server, was quite helpful and gracious, and a peek at the dinner menu had us determined to return that evening.

So get this: it so happened that it was our 5 year-old's birthday, and he loved the eggs and pancakes he'd had for breakfast there so much that when he returned, he begged us for the same meal that night. We asked our server Amber if there was any chance the chef could make it happen, not expecting much…but she returned quickly and said that Chef Jim said that since it was the boy's birthday, he'd do it. Not only did he whip up eggs and pancakes (decorated with whip cream and sprinkles), they also presented him with a dinosaur birthday card signed by the staff--and Chef Jim came out to personally wish him a happy birthday and pose for pictures with him. The table next to us was celebrating a birthday at their table as well and sent over a slice of strawberry birthday cake, prepared at Huckleberry's (it's also a bakery), and it was amazing. If we had known we would have ordered a cake ahead as well!

My husband and I opted for something off the dinner menu, which was impressively extensive for such a small venue. He had the shrimp and grits, which he proclaimed were better than any he'd had in the years he'd lived in Georgia, while I had a rib eye cooked to perfection with tasty mashed potatoes. The stuffed portobello appetizer was phenomenal as well. We took advantage of the BYOB opportunity and lack of corkage fee and enjoyed our own wine with the meal. It was all so reasonably priced that it all cost us just $20 more than the doughy, tasteless calzone, undercooked salmon salad, and kid's meal at Rumbling Bald the night before.

We know we'll be back to Lake Lure, and I can't imagine wanting to eat anywhere other than Huckleberry's when we do! Thanks so much to Chef Jim, Amber, and the rest of the staff for making our boy's birthday so special!

1  Thank DCCarrie
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Dear Birthday Family,
We all enjoyed celebrating with you, your little one is so cute. I wish Trip Advisor allowed photos on responses, because we have some great ones of you all to post.
It was our pleasure to serve you all, and we are so glad we could make his day special.
Have a safe drive home.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We were visiting the area and decided to come for dinner...we got there early, just as they were changing over from lunch service and decided to wait for the dinner menu. We were seated at 4:30. Amber was our server and she couldn't have added any more charm and attentiveness. I had the prime rib and he had the famous meatloaf. We shared bites. We saved room for a little dessert. All was excellent. The place is darling with country charm but with a Manu you wouldn't expect. So glad we stopped in. Congratulations on your restaurant.

1  Thank Iwantavacationnow
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Hello PA,
It was great meeting you all and Amber and I thank you for having early dinner with us. Our bacon wrapped meatloaf has been a incredible seller this spring, and I believe Chef Jim will even be keeping it on our summer menu. If you return to Lake Lure please stop in again, in the meantime thank you for encouraging words.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Such a cute little place but with fantastic food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner served. We stopped in for dinner May 29, 2014. We had the shrimp and grits and steak salad. The portions were just right, perfect size. Everything was fantastic. We loved the desert options. in fact, there were so many good options we got a sampler plater (had to ask special) of every one of the desert options. So so yummy! By far the puff pastry with huckleberry mousse was my favorite. And the peach chardonnay soup was out of this world! So good! Also excellent sweet tea! Our waitress, Amber2, was friendly and helpful!
We were very impressed with everything and came back the next morning for breakfast. The Belgian waffle with fresh fruit and huckleberry cream was fantastic. So good, i didnt even add syrup! The omlette was excellent as well.

The atmosphere is cute and homey. Very relaxing experience. The way eating should be!

Highly recommended! A must try if you are in the area! You will not be disappointed!

1  Thank Ellen M
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Hello Again Ellen
Great to hear from you again, Chef Jim is emailing you that soup receipe. Amber 2 is great, very friendly and loves customers. I do hope you return to Lake Lure soon, but in the meantime have a very safe trip back to PA. Thanks for taking time out of your day, for a review as well.
MIchaila

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We really enjoyed our meal at Huckleberries. Yes it is unhurried. In fact, think more European in meal time. But it is worth the wait! Everything is made from scratch as far as I could tell, and from fresh ingredients. We tried 3 nice restaurants while visiting Lake Lure and this was our best meal there. Our entrees were bacon wrapped meatloaf and prime rib, both were very good. Waitstaff is very young, so a little inexperienced, but attentive and accommodating. We would definitely visit again.

2  Thank KYU
Huckleberry959, Owner at Huckleberry's, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Morning, l appreciate you taking the time to write a review, and help spread the news about my business. Yes, a few of my staff members and I are a bit younger. I am only 19, and I hire the local progressive students if possible, so I can give them the opportunity to work, become a young business owner like myself, and learn how to be emerging leader in America. I love my job, and I try to give all my staff as many ways to grow as possible. I do have a amazing senior staff as well.
They are very good to me and teach me new things every day. So on behalf of all us at Huckleberry's, we thank you for visiting us and look forward to your return trip, or join us at new second facility in Columbus NC.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Creative and delicious fare in a homey environment makes this worth the drive. Chicken Waldorf salad served in avocado halves and chicken and waffles were terrific, and uniquely prepared.

1  Thank Nancy H

HI Nancy, Thanks for visiting us from Asheville. Our Chicken salad served in two avocado halves, has turned out to be one of our better lunch sellers. It is a great non bread choice and very heart healthy. I often see tables sharing, one order, because it is such a large portion.
Have a great summer.