“Bed Bugs!!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Lure
Geneva Riverside Lodging
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Lake Lure
Rock Hill, South Carolina
“Bed Bugs!!!!!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I with our three children stayed at the Geneva on 7/12/14 and was supposed to stay two nights; however, after a long day of swimming and playing in the river we tried to go to bed but much to our dismay we discovered a ton of bed bugs when we pulled down the blanket. Live ones crawling all over the pillows on both beds. When we informed the man at the front desk he got offended and said "don't use the bug thing on me, we have exterminators here every two weeks". So my husband came back to the room and we took a video and photos of the bed bugs and he has the nerve to say they were some other type of bug, really! It was 11pm and we had no where to go, we had three crying little girls who were scared and didn't sleep at all; not that I can blame them. Additionally, the pillows are SO thin, beds are disgusting, broke toilet paper holder, no microwave, no micro-fridges, no phone or phone book, no wi-fi and no cell reception. At this point I am calling everyone I can to report this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Crystal G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2014

If I were thinking of staying here, please pick another hotel. Me and my daughter just stayed here over the July 4th weekend. This hotel was crawling with police. the K-9 unit was here. I know the police was here 5 or 6 times in two days. The staff makes you purchase your towels for $5.00 to go down to the pool area. How crazy is that? As if anyone wants to steal the hotel towels. There is no peace and quiet at all here due to the fact of a tiki bar located in the back. People are always walking around pretty well lit at all hours of the night outside of your rooms. We actually got to experience that for ourselves. It was past midnight and someone decided to beat down our hotel door and bang loudly against the windows. They attempted to get into the room. I called the police. Come to find out it was a Bartender who was given the wrong room number. Someone skipped out of their tab. Needless to say me and my child were scared to death someone was trying to hurt us. The manager of the hotel was charging my card for the bar tab that did not belong to me. The police handle the issue. Please what ever you decide, I hope you choose another location. Lake Lure is beautiful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jack w
Geneva R, Manager at Geneva Riverside Lodging, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
First and foremost, please allow me to sincerely apologize for the problems that occurred during your stay. We always strive for everyone to have a good time – but not at the expense of others’ good times.

Over the Fourth weekend, we did have issues with some people who were fighting and causing problems with our guests, customers and staff. As is our policy, we contact the local authorities at the onset of any problem which we determine may escalate beyond our control and let them handle it. The police were called to ensure your and all of our guests’ safety and wellbeing. After those particular trouble-makers returned a second day and, again, caused problems, we have had them permanently banned from our property. Unfortunately, one of these people was staying in the room next to yours.

Our confusion with the rooms was, in no way, your fault or problem, and we are truly sorry for our mistake between room numbers 15A and 15. The reason for our force in gaining the attention of the people we thought were in that room was the abhorrent conduct and we mistakenly thought that they were ignoring the staff in order to not pay their bar tab. Again, our sincerest apologies to you and your daughter.

There also seems to be a misunderstanding about our pool towels which I would like to clear up. There is no charge for guests to use the pool. Our policy is that our room towels are for in-room use only. It is impossible for us to keep our white towels white if they are used at the pool and/or river. We do offer pool towels for those who need. There is a $5 REFUNDABLE fee for these which is returned to you when the towel is returned to us. We also supply “motorcycle towels” to guests who need. While it is sad that the 99% of people who would not leave with our towels must “pay” for the 1% who will, this is the only way we can offer this service.

Thank you for visiting the Lake Lure area and we are glad that you did enjoy its beauty. If you could give the Geneva another chance to show you that your experience was an exception rather than the norm, please contact us at (828) 625-4121. Identify yourself to the person taking your reservation and you will be given a discount for your stay.

Travellers are raving about these Lake Lure hotels

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stopped at The Tiki Bar for a drink Friday afternoon after Christmas,passing Chimney Rock.( NC.) We saw"New Belgium Brewery". Christine,the bartender and her supervisor made our short stay very pleasant .Was told that part of the movie"Dirty Dancing with Patrick Swayze" was filmed in the area and New-Year day locals jump in the river to celebrate a happy New-Year.(not for me at 13 degres Fahrenheit).The view of the wild river is marvellous but we will stop in July or August to appreciate more this beautiful part of North Carolina.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank The French Plac... J
DENVER, North Caroli
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Hotel room seemed ok nothing special for sure... bed was very uncomfortable and the biggest compliant was the door was so hard to open seriously hurt my hip trying to get into the room.. went and told the manager and he was very nice about it... but still I went home with a brusied hip.. but on the good side the Tiki Bar is awesome and also walking to the bar next door was fun.. and right on the water.., all in all my hubby and I rode up for our anniversary and had a great time.,.

Room Tip: If you going up to just park your bike and party in between two great bars then best spot ,,. but fo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mehavasu
USA
Reviewed 15 August 2013

We recently stayed at the Geneva Riverside, we have stayed at this motel many times over the years. We drive over 300 miles each way to get there.
With many stays having groups of friends with us.
Over the years we have seen huge improvements made with constructing the Tiki Bar and regarding the motel rooms themselves.. not so much.
Most recently we stayed for a couple of nights in May and also just recently in August.
They offer a frequent stay card where you can earn a free night after 10 stays.
Each time we go, we always hope we will see some improvements made in the motel room.
These last 2 visits this year we have seen no improvement in the motel room and a change in the checking in process and the service provided at the motel.
In May we presented the frequent stay card to get the free night earned and the lady that checked us in was working as a bartender in the Tiki Bar.
We had to walk to the Tiki Bar located at the back of the motel to get checked in because no one was in the office and she asked "You are not going to steal the towels are you?" We were offended by her question because we were presenting a card to her that showed we had stayed there 10 times. Then in August when we checked in, a different motel clerk asked us the same question. I believe this is a rude question and sets the tone of the stay where they will accept our money and yet even though we have been coming there for years they don't trust us or appreciate us..
Another reason we come to this motel is because of the Tiki Bar and restaurant by the Broad river.
They do have great food and good cooks. Except this last stay in August the Tiki Bar was over run with local residents singing Karaoke and taking our parking place. With paying a premium price to stay here we would expect a certain exclusivity of the premises and a clean room. Our maid service was very little and consisted of our bed being made and one set of towels that was laid on the bed. With 2 people staying in the room? Also no floor was swept. So walking across the floor bare foot there was sand under our feet.
They need to show more appreciation for paying guests by improving the rooms and having the rooms cleaned by people that don't mind spending the energy.
Until we find out that things have changed for the better we will choose to vote with our feet and stay at another hotel when we come to Lake Lure.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank DreamtripperUsa
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Did stay 2 nights because of having made a reservation. The stay was for sentimital reasons. If I had known....Door handle was very loose. Thank goodness for the deadbolt. No phones in the rooms and no bars on cell phone. Spotty reception through out the valley. The riverside rooms mean your front door is on the same side and the river. You have a parking lot and the pool and Tiki bar inbetween. There was no reason to charge more for being on the river side. No View! Lots of noise into the night. Doors banging, people sitting outside drinking, smoking, and talking loud half the night! No parking due to outside people coming to the pool and Tiki Bar. This place is way over priced for what you get. Office is closed untill 9AM. They have a coffee pot inside but you can't get to it!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank MooGoo55
Blacksburg, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 24 March 2013

we visit the Geneva at least once a year .. The staff has always been very nice to us. I dropped my prepaid visa along with $80 cash outside on the walk way and I went to the office ( with a feeling of hopelessness ) and the lady at the desk had my cash and card ( which did not have my name printed on it) waiting for me. The play area for the kids is awesome, the pool is nice and the tiki bar has great food, drinks and the staff! The hotels in this area are VERY OLD! Considering what you have to choose from when you stay in lake Lure NC this is THE Best place to go. The environment is relaxing and peaceful. It is not a 5 star hotel and neither are the prices! The prices are economical and the accomidations are just right if you are looking for a LAID BACK RELAXED HOMETOWN type of vacation. The Geneva Riverside is a GREAT place to stay in Lake Lure NC. If you have any complaints about your room or the staff GO TO THE OFFICE and address them with the owner ( who is usually present and happy to help) they have always been available to assist me with any questions or problems that I have had when I stayed ( 20+ times). Do not go to Lake Lure NC expecting to experience a BAHAMAs resort! Go with a happy heart and realistic expectations. and you ARE SURE TO HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!!

Room Tip: there are rooms downstairs that are close to the tiki bar, pool, river and play/picnic area. The ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
The Esmeralda Inn
The Esmeralda Inn
#1 of 4 in Chimney Rock

Been to Geneva Riverside Lodging? Share your experiences!