“Mountain Lofts: Need Updating, but functional”

Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Mountain Lofts: Need Updating, but functional”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed here last week with my brother and his wife. I can tell that they have been working on some updates: carpet, flat screen tv, table & chairs, king size bed in master, lighting and lamps were all nice. And the beds--very comfy! We all slept well; nice linens. The Mountain Lofts are at the northern end of the resort, and each is an individual unit. Ours was #9, and faced the golf course and the mountains. My brother had requested a water view, but those were on the other side of the drive. The units on that side also had no stairs. Our unit had 14 stairs to enter. Which isn't a lot until you are loading and unloading! Overall, we enjoyed our stay and used the fireplace, which was nice. Not a fancy place, but I would rate it C +.

The minuses: the shower in the 2nd bathroom (ours) was too low. It would be fine for kids, but I had to bend backwards to wash my hair. DVR player is hooked up to tv in loft (which is an old tv and requires climbing spiral stairs). We moved it downstairs but could not get it to play movies; front desk was no help. We finally realized they needed an hdml cord! But we got it to play after fiddling around for 1/2 hour. Dressers and vanities need updating. Master bedroom had no room for night stands; perhaps they could put in a little wall shelf? My daugher and her family spent one night with us and slept in the loft; the pull-out sofa had virtually no mattress on it and not comfortable at all. (Luckily my brother had brought a blow-up mattress.) While the flat screen tv is nice, it sits atop an armoir (probably used to hold the old tv), and caused me to get a crink in my neck, watching it from the armchair. Sofa not comfy and difficult to arise from. In order to recycle, you have to take your stuff to the registration building, a mile or so away. We noticed some dry rot on the outside of our unit while sitting outside on the balcony (which was rather small; not large enough to eat out). Kitchen also small, but not much that can be done about that.

However, speaking of the kitchen, it was very well stocked with nice dinnerware, glasses (enough wine glasses for a party!), utensils, cookware, etc.--all very nice. It's just not meant for more than 1, maybe 2 people to be in at the same time.

Amenities on the site were nice; pools, mini golf, beach, etc. We just didn't get a chance to enjoy any of it because it rained and was cool all week but for one day. On that day, we rented a pontoon boat and went out on Lake Lure for a couple of hours--very enjoyable! We are big boaters, but had never been anywhere surrounded by mountains.

We took a day trip to the Biltmore and would definitely recommend that. Had breakfast on the way at Morning Glory Cafe, which was amazing. Organic and fresh everything. My eggs were wonderful, and my s-i-l had the shrimp and grits and said they were the best she's ever had. We did the Sunday Brunch at the Lake Lure Restaurant on site of the resort; it was ok. Larkins on the Lake is very good food; my parmesan trout was excellent. Another good spot to eat is Huckleberry's, owned by an 18-year-old chef. We spent a couple days at Chimney Rock (even my brother and I had a blast gem mining). On the way to Chimney Rock is this amazing garden built on an old bridge; it is just gorgeous.

All in all, it was an enjoyable vacation. Not luxurious, but I don't think any places in these mountains would be considered luxurious. You definitely need a car, as others have mentioned. There is a grocery store, Ingles, on Rt. 9 in Lake Lure that is amazing. We got mahi mahi there for the grill that was excellent. Everything you could want, including wine (and some very decent ones at that) and beer (no liquor; you have to go to ABC liquor on the way to Chimney Rock).

Note to Wyndham: I would suggest some updates to your mountain lofts: new dressers and vanities would make a huge impact, as would new countertops in kitchen and bathrooms. Update those sofas (main one and one in the loft) so you can actually sleep on them. And some nice artwork would do wonders to make it feel more home-y.

Room Tip: Mention when booking the room, if stairs would be a problem for you.
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank purplehatartist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I came here for a family reunion and we checked in to the lower unit on Red Maple Drive. There are A and B units. A being the top. Luckily there was no one on top so we didn't hear the footsteps. Anyway you enter into a living area with a VCR and flat screen TV of average quality. Downstairs to the kitchen, bedroom with queen bed, bathroom with nice 2 person Jacuzzi, shower. The kitchen has higher quality knives, blender, microwave, Henkel knives, many gadgets (peeler, measuring spoons, etc.), nice dishes, silverware, stainless pots and pans, dishwasher, washer/dryer. Nice table. The deck was a little weather worn and shoes are a necessity. AC worked fine. The front desk is open only Mon-Fri during the day. Wi-fi worked OK most of the time but died for 24 hours. You need to log in many times during the day which is a pain. 40+ TV channels. The second day I noticed a roach leisurely waltzing across the floor. I killed it and tossed it in the toilet. The next day another roach slightly faster but easily dispatched into the garbage. I didn't bother to report it since I didn't want the noxious smell of roach poison making us sick plus there were "only" 2 and my wife never saw them. The 5th night was another story. 2 giant roaches moving at high speed in the bedroom which my wife saw and was quite upset. I tossed the suitcase on top of one to stop it and killed the other with her shoe I lifted up the suitcase and killed roach #4. I left the last 2 bodies on the floor for them to see. Would I ever come back here again NEVER. If you do come make sure you pack roach motels and spray.
Most of the facilities are at the Rumbling Bald Resort (pools, beach, golf, restaurants, NOT at the others). Its only a short 1 mile drive so its not a big issue. They have nice tennis courts, miniature golf, boat trips, spa, workout room with lots of machines. I do not know about the accommodations there but I suspect they might be nicer since they are at the resort that takes good care of its facilities. They group all the resorts together as Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains but it is really 3-4 separate facilities.
There are no stores nearby only an Ingles 15 mins away on winding roads. It was a large very nice and modern store with an excellent selection.

Room Tip: See if you can find one with a nice view. We saw only trees. Try and stay at the Rumbling Bald becau...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Thundarr357
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We wanted to get away from it all and chose Lake Lure to totally relax and just be together. The accommodations were a little outdated but still very functional and we had plenty of room. The whole property is very nice and at a beautiful location. The lake was peaceful and we just walked a lot, went bike riding and visited the area. We had a good time.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BlueRidge73
Upstate SC
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Average type place that was REALLY expensive. They are nowhere near the quality/fanciness of any other Wyndham resort we've been too. Duplex was pretty outdated, but in decent condition. Bed was old, and killed my lower back. Grounds are very nice and well-maintained though. We don't golf, but the course looked nice. Some steep spots, so it may be tough?
We didn't visit any of the onsite restaraunts as they are pricey as was expected. What wasn't expected was having to rent pool towels and BUY your tube for the small lazy river. Pretty disappointing. Indoor pool was quite cool. No motorcycles allowed was huge disappointment for us as we would've ridden instead of driving there.
Location isn't the greatest IMO, as it is about 20 minutes from Lake Lure/Chimney Rock. It is very pretty there though, and not a bad drive back and forth. Our room was af the very north end, and while it was private and quiet, we had no decent view and it took quite a while to get down to the restaraunts/beach/pool.

Room Tip: not sure how to get it, but some places have a GREAT view while ours was just covered with trees and...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rc5695
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My husband and I returned this weekend from the Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains. I have to say, being Wyndham members, we were disappointed in the lodging. I reserved a 1 bedroom condo. The unit was old and very out-of-date. This was a duplex and the walls were paper thin. You could easily hear the next-door neighbors. There was not a lot to do. Apparently this resort was "connected" to another resort and we had free use of its facilities. We did go over and eat at the Lakeview Restaurant which was excellent but that's another review. The wi-fi , though offered was very poor and we ended putting up our kindles which was probably a good thing. The staff was very cordial and apparently they were "making do" with what they had. I try to be fair....but I felt the website was deceiving and we didn't receive what I was expecting. The unit was very clean and this would have been a great place to leave in the morning and come back in the evening....however to try and stay and enjoy the resort just would not have been in the cards.

Room Tip: This resort has units in two areas.....try to get one in the Maple Ridge area as opposed to the area...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank blueshopper84
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Spent a rainy week here in a poorly designed two bedroom on Maple Ridge. Service desk closed early on the rainy evening we arrived - glad it wasn't too dark to find our condo. Not much to do here but relax or drive to explore, primarily Ashville. Lots of driving on rural, winding roads.
Internet service was too poor to use effectively. Cell phone service with Verizon just as poor.
If you don't golf but want to do outdoor activities plan to do some driving.
Bright spot was Luna Del Sol restaurant - great food and service.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ronbworkman
Raeford
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Even though the weather was wet and chilly, it was still a great weekend. The room was right off the Apple Valley golf course, very clean and off the beaten path.
It was a single room condo, with a small shower and a huge bathtub/jacuzzi. The room had a small kitchen and dining area combined and upstairs was a small and very comfortable living room... Made it nice to enjoy coffee and not wake up the baby.
Played a round of golf at Rumbling Bald Golf course.. The second course on the resort. Great course, a bit narrow but very fun and challenging to play. Super easy to get a tee time and the price was no different than my normal course. Not to mention the 15th green is where the filmed a scene in Dirty Dancing.
Highly recommend this resort and my wife and I are already planning our next trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Rumbling Bald Resort on Lake Lure
Willowbrook Inn
Willowbrook Inn
#2 of 3 in Lake Lure

Been to Wyndham Resort at Fairfield Mountains? Share your experiences!