“Worst Holiday Inn Express I've ever stayed in”

Holiday Inn Express Laurinburg
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Laurinburg
Atlanta
“Worst Holiday Inn Express I've ever stayed in”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2010

Since I travel for work, I have stayed in many Holiday Inn Express' and this is, by far, is the worst one I've ever seen. First, I reserved a nonsmoking room and when I walked into the room, there was an ashtray on the nightstand and a cigarette wrapper on the floor in the bathroom...nice. The room also had a nice stale smoke smell. Oh an I also noticed that I didn't have an alarm clock. I went down stairs and spoke with the receptionist. She said there were no more rooms left and that's fine but why didn't anyone tell me that there were no more nonsmoking rooms when I made the reservation or even when I checked in? Then, I asked for an alarm clock and she said they didn't have any. They ran out... A hotel ran out of alarm clocks... That's a first for me. She was nice enough to offer to schedule a wakeup call but I just like having a clock in the room. Finally, as I lay here writing this, there is a weird, musty, moldy smell coming from between the wall the the mattress. I tried switching beds since this room has double beds but the smell is coming from both. Gross... I can't wait to check out and never see this place again. ::shudder::

• Stayed October 2010

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

I'm both a Priority Club and a Hilton FF with a whole ton of points each. I originally chose Hampton Inn partly to continue with points and partly because of prior reviews about this Holiday Inn posted here. Since I come to the area frequently for business, I decided to check this out for myself. So to compare with the Hampton In (which I also reviewed):
- public spaces appears newer and fresher. I think part of it is styling and lighting, but also the architecture of building.
- breakfast, I think, is slightly better mostly because the food is already out on a line unlike Hampton Inn's, which are prepackaged and you have to microwave yourself. Really the only difference is that the Holiday Inn staff heated it up for you already...the food quality is the same. Hampton Inn serves those yummy flavored coffee creamer tub things...but Holiday Inn seems to have more choices. Since I try to eat healthy while on the road, I buy at the supermarket so Hampton Inn keeps out disposable tableware, etc for guests. Holiday Inn: you have to bug the staff to get it for you, who keep it under lock and key.
- Rooms: you can tell this is an old hotel/motel with new Holiday Inn furnishing/styling. I think the mattresses could use some replacing, but I do like their pillows more (seem firmer). Hampton Inn water pressure, I think, is stronger...but then again maybe my Holiday Inn room is just underpowered.
- Wireless: no improvement over Hampton. At night, signals can be VERY slow but it's not every night. Very irritating but it's free. Just wish it was more reliable.
Staff is great, they pick up the front desk phone more quickly than Hampton Inn (key when receiving outside calls to your room).

Haven't experienced anything unpleasant at this hotel so far, so if you want to stay in the Holiday Inn family check this one out!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Mebane, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2009

I was unimpressed by this Holiday Inn. The hotel itself was poorly maintained and shabby, and my room was not cleaned two of the three days. In addition, my bill was not put under my door on my checkout day, and when I went to the desk to get a copy, there was no one there and it took me 20 minutes to get a copy. The location is OK, with a Smithfield's restaurant next door and the freeway next door. Overall, I would reccomend the Hampton Inn across the highway.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
SC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2009

Hotel had constant noise through 2AM - none of staff did anything about it. First floor of hotel, where my room was STANK. Non-smoking - yea right. Room floors were dirty.
Hampton Inn right down the street = better choice.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2008

Recently spent a Friday night here prior to an athletic event at St. Andrews College. Laurinburg is a small town and this Holiday Inn staff is small-town friendly. From checkin to checkout everyone was pleasant, helpful and gracious. This hotel (and all the lodgings and eateries in Laurinburg) are clustered around the intersection of US 74 and US 15-501 bypass. (OK, some of the fast food places are 5 blocks away on the old main street - its all compact) St. Andrews is perhaps 1/2 mile away. Although the hotel was full, the place was very quiet. Very clean and well-maintained. The carpet in the room was a bit worn, otherwise all was pretty crisp. Continental breakfast is the usual.

• Liked — Pleasant staff, takes pets with $25 fee
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Sumter, SC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2008

We stayed here during college visit to St. Andrew's College. The staff helped us with directions and made us feel at home. The management and staff were very eager to help , answer questions, and make sure we were okay. When there was a winter weather alert they helped us by holding our room open and letting us stay past the check out time in it until we could decide if we could travel. The breakfast was good and the eating area was nicely decorated, clean and comfortable. The room was large and had a sofa bed which made it really nice. It had a large refrigerator and comfortable beds. The bathroom was large and had a nice roll-in-shower. We would select this hotel again.

• Liked — The room and the staff
  • Disliked — the location is in a town with little to do and it lacks restaurants
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2007

Nice hotel with rooms that open to inside corridor. Friendly staff. We would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laurinburg
Hampton Inn Laurinburg
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#1 of 3 in Bennettsville
Americas Best Value Inn - Rockingham

Been to Holiday Inn Express Laurinburg? Share your experiences!