All reviews table rock grandfather mountain nice stay get away internet mountains channels bathtub
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We stayed here for a quick trip to Linville Falls. It's a great 60s era, but recently remodeled motel, very clean and quite quaint. The free breakfast of homemade quiche, cinnamon rolls, banana walnut bread and freshly ground coffee were the selling factor in our decision to stay here. The rooms were clean with plenty of towels, an extra blanket and air conditioning that worked very well. If you're expecting the Marriott or the Hampton Inn, this isn't the place for you. In fact, their aim is to not duplicate chain motels and instead be one of the Mom and Pop motels with their own unique flavor that once were quite common along the Blue Ridge Parkway. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

My mother, sister and I did a camping road trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Due to some rough weather the night before, we were minus our tent! We happened upon the Parkview Lodge and Cabins - what a great find! Cindy welcomed us and got us set up in one of the cabins. The cabin itself was neat as a pin and cozy to boot! We had a lovely view out the back porch and just enough room for the three of us! The hospitality we were shown was second to none! We all agreed we would certainly love to have stayed longer, but we were on a schedule. The Parkview, David and Cindy (Killer, too!) were one of the highlights of our trip!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TAM3540
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We were the only guests at the Parkview Lodge when we visited, so I cannot attest to how they handle a large crowd, but can give you our opinion of our 2-night stay. We rented the 2-BR cabin, which was PERFECT for us (2 adults, 2 kids). It is located about a quarter-mile down the road from the Lodge, in its own quiet subdivision. The cabin was clean and warm. The fireplace dosed out some serious heat! The beds were a bit soft, but fine for cuddling. Plenty of extra pillows and quilts/blankets were provided. The hot tub/Jacuzzi was located on the back deck in its own separate room, which kept the occupants warm while inside (but the supply of hot water ran out rather quickly). The TV was small and a bit old (not HD), but was equipped with satellite reception, which worked great. Coffee and filters were provided in the nicely equipped, full-size kitchen, but no paper towels. A filling, "hot continental" breakfast (eggs, french toast casserole, etc.) was made for us the two mornings we were there, which reminded us of staying in a B&B. The only "complaint" would be the lack of restaurants in the area. Thankfully, we found a decent Italian restaurant about 6 miles away, from which we ate left-overs for dinner our second night. (You gotta love having a microwave and oven at your disposal!) Cindy and her daughter (our "hosts") were friendly and inviting. We told the Millers that we would definitely be back to rent the Parkview Cabin again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2010

I have stayed here before. The rooms are clean and the service is excellent. The beds could stand an upgrade, but otherwise this is a great value.

The owners are very friendly and they prepare a very good breakfast for their guests. They genuinely care to provide whatever it is that you need. There is also a wine and beer shop in the lobby.

This family hotel has ample parking and a swimming pool. Since it sits directly on NC Hwy 221, there is a lot of traffic in front of the hotel, so you probably won't be sitting in front of your room looking a the sites. But then again, since you are less than a mile from Linville Gorge Wilderness area and the Blue Ridge Parkway, why would you spend your day sitting in your room? In other words, this hotel has all the basic things a traveller needs and more, for a very good value.

There are 2 very good restaurants close by the hotel.

I recommend the Parkview Lodge to anyone travelling in the NC mountains.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2010

Travelers

Well lots to say about this place. First is that I read and believed some of the previous reviews, the first in a chain of bad decisions on my part. This is not like a “fine B&B” it is like an overpriced motor lodge. I am not sure if rhatcher of Concord reviewed the same place because they mention this breakfast several time in their review and we had one of the poorest “Continental” breakfasts I have ever seen. And I have had some real bad ones.

The other review said there were no restaurants around; there are two within a ½ mile at 221 and 183. We ate at Spears BBQ and felt it was very good and enjoyable (see review).

I will review this place by attribute;

Cost:
For the cabin it was $160 per night which is horribly over priced once all things are done and said. It was acceptable if what I was told and read were accurate.

The website says, fully renovated, not sure what was renovated or what they meant by that.

The cabin was not Grandma’s but Uncle Charlie’s, old, poorly maintained, damaged sheetrock, broken furniture and a couch and chairs that seemed to have been picked from the dump. The chair upholstery was scratchy and the arm rests so beaten down the wood frame was all that could be felt, no cushion on the arm rest remained. It would be stuff found in a frat house.

The mattresses were something like a third generation hand me down. If you like sleeping in a hammock you will love this. It was so soft, it was impossible to sleep

The location of the cabin was about a ½ mile away down 221 from the main motel, making it very inconvenient to use the pool, visit the shop or eat breakfast. I had to drive my mother in law and 8 year nephew old up to the pool and drive up from breakfast, there were no options. If I had know it was spate on not just down a nice country lane, I would have done differently.

We rented the cabin due to having four in our party and Cindy (owner) said this would be the best. She sold me on it by telling me it had a fire pit, and a Jacuzzi. The fire pit turned out to be a ring of rocks, no wood provided, next to a concrete picnic table with rusty rebar sticking out, and ready to rip flesh open. Just to get to the fire pit you would have to walk down slippery overgrown stones down the steep bank. Trees branches were growing over the pit so a forest fire could have occurred if we had used it.

The main selling point was the Jacuzzi. The Jacuzzi turned out to be a whirlpool bath tub, literally on the back porch. Most likely put there by an Uncle Charlie type, that never has anything done professionally.

I took my mother in-law and 8 year old nephew and had planned for her to be able to take the boy to the pool and stroll around the grounds. This was impossible; we were stuck off in the woods on what is described as a country lane but the country lane is just a dirt road six feet from the front porch. The cabin porch actually sits about five feet below the surface of the road due to the slope. So you sit on a concrete slab, eye level to the dirt road and six feet away from cars driving by. Fortunately there is not a lot of traffic and it was damp, if not it would have been a dusty hell.

The carpet was dangerous with fold and lumps posing tripping hazards.

The grill is not propane so you would need to provide your own charcoal. Not sure how many people think any more that when an expensive rental unit says a grill is provided they need to bring charcoal, most are propane now days, another misleading sales point.

The dishes were dirty and greasy, no paper towel was provided.

The place was infested by ants, so keep your bags zipped shut; there were also dead insects on the floors and at the windows, and not just one or two, but piles.

There was however plenty of hot water for at least two of us to shower.

Be aware also, they sell it as having a fire place, it is not wood, but gas and no instructions that I saw on how to use it.

Pool; the pool was a highlight, it was very cold and refreshing, small but fine, we enjoyed it. Get to it early; there are trees that block the sun about 4:00 PM. And if the temperature is not above 80, the pool may be too cold for most.

The towels are clean but very ragged, more like car wash towels, and many were ripped and thread barren.

Location:

Excellent location

Breakfast:

The web site says “free home cooked breakfast”.

I was expecting to sit down and maybe have eggs, pancakes and meat made to order, defiantly fresh. We were very disappointed with this portion of the stay. Again, we paid $160 for the night, and I factored in four full breakfasts, which made the cost more acceptable.

This place had no breakfast to speak of; it had a small selection of box cereal, coffee and warm milk. A small selection of fruit, apples and over ripe bananas’ was available, but my favorite disappointment was that there was no juice, none! When I asked Cindy (the owner) she said I could buy some. I felt I had bought some when I paid $160 for a dirty insect infested cabin (more later). I have never ever had a free breakfast not come with at least one juice, most have orange and apple.

As far as I know we were the only ones staying at the entire facility, so breakfast should have been fresh and made to order. I was real freaked out about eating anything after I saw the watermelon she was going to serve my family. If you have ever thrown a piece of water melon on the compost pile and come back the next day that is what it looked like, a kind of gray translucent shriveled mess.

I asked her if we could get some fresh water melon, she said it was fresh, so if her opinion of day old water melon is fresh, I became very reluctant to eat anything that did not come out of a cellophane wrapper. However, even though she said it was fresh, she brought more, which was mealy and old. There was no toast, toaster, bagels, you know the standard American free continental breakfast fare.

Some type of egg casserole squares was presented, but again after realizing that she was going to serve us old rotten melon and would not provide juice to her customers, I realized she would be the type to leave out an egg dish all the previous morning and what was not served, serve it the next day and not throw it out. She instructed us to microwave it. I personally do not want micro waved old egg cubes for my “Free home cooked breakfast”.

I also realized Cindy is the type that does not apologize, or admit fault, very defensive and always right (more to come)

Overview:

Times are tough, but I ask a place that I pay $160 a night for, to provide pretty top shelf accommodations. As I mentioned I think we were the only ones staying, so they tried to make their rent off of our backs.

The place charges top fees but provides cheap, cost cutting in adequate accommodations, it would have been Ok for say $80-$100 a week night for the cabin.

Everything was just slightly misleading, “full cooked breakfast” “Jacuzzi Tub”, not Jacuzzi bathtub, no mention the cabin is off the grounds and you have to drive to, and “fully renovated”.

When I tried to mention that I was a little disappointed, Cindy did not want to hear about it, she said she had never had a complaint before. I find that a little hard to believe. She did not ask me what or why I was disappointed, just immediately went on the defense. I am sure you have all met people like that, they just cannot accept criticism, and they take it personally. When I first checked in she seemed so nice, but then the breakfast thing and I realized she was one of the types that will never accept responsibility or fault, she might change something like the water melon, but never say, oh I am sorry, I put that out at 8:00 and it wilted, so sorry.

As a business person, I would think she would want feedback from her customers. Before her shutting down the conversation I had actually thought about coming back and renting a small room, or dropping in for a beer when I am riding in the area. But with her attitude I will not be back.

My suggestion is to find a different place; there are a lot of cabins in the area, and an Inn with cabins near Spears BBQ. But nothing is too far way, so if you find a chain place in Banner Elk or stay at the ski resort on top of Sugar mountain near Grandfather Mt, it may be better and most likely cheaper.

My wife and I travel often and I appreciate mom and pop places, but this was just an expensive and bad choice on my part and assisted by inaccurate and poor reviews.

And when a place or people should not be in business, I recommend not giving them money and hopefully a new owner will eventually come out of it.

Most businesses want to do better, sometimes in the corporate world it is hard to get your point to the top, but in this case, the top people don’t care what you have to say, they just want your money

Stay away and be happy you read this.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family