All reviewstable rockgrandfather mountainnice stayget awayinternetmountainschannelsbathtub
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Last year (2012) we hosted a gathering to celebrate my parents 90th birthdays and friends came from as far away as Japan for the event. I arranged for the Japanese and Chinese visitors to stay at the Parkview Lodge for several days. All reports were very good - they were well and courteously treated and even allowed to sleep in a bit over the checkout time to account for the trip jet lag. According to the visitors, the rooms were clean, neat, and the breakfasts were fabulous with home cooked items by the owners. Since then, several relatives have stayed there with all good reports. I was very impressed with the courtesy extended to the foreign guests and hope to stay there myself sometime.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Visited Linville Falls area on vacation this October. My first stay at Parkview Lodge was nice. I wanted a rustic and quaint room and this is what I received and enjoyed very much. No phone in the room (I hate those) so this was a plus for me. Very comfortable bed! Trucks passing by at night can be bothersome so I brought a fan along to help drown that out and was successful. My room was clean and had everything I needed and you can park right outside, making loading and unloading a snap. Very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway, very good places to eat. The provided free breakfast was nice, served in a relaxed atmosphere. I will stay there again!

Room Tip: The cabin in behind the main building and likely a bit quieter at night. Rooms on the south end probably get better internet reception.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Thomas E
Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were a group of 8 bicyclists traveling the Blue Ridge Parkway, and wound up in Linville Falls one night at the Parkview Lodge. Convenient to the parkway, the hotel has been there a while - but the coolest thing is that Cindy offered to cook us dinner - saying "we know how to cook for bicyclists". And, that was very true - had a wonderful dinner of Salad, Lasagna, bread, and pie, with all but the pie homemade, and heirloom tomatoes in the salad. Before dinner, I enjoyed their pool - a welcome break from the heat of riding. They have beer and wine, and also fixed us a complimentary breakfast with quiche and french toast casserole - and did it early, so we could resume our ride. Sure, the place is older - but the beds were comfortable, and the hospitality was excellent.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank James H
Reviewed 21 July 2012

FIrst and important - The owners are the warmest possible. They are genuinely friendly and caring people and do bend over backwards to ensure that you have the best possible stay. I feel bad posting the following information, because I really did like the owners. I felt like they treated me as if I were family instead of a paying client. Their dog, Maggie May, met us at our door in the morning looking for a friendly pat.

That said, the first room we were put in had a very strong moldy stale smoke smell (it is a smoke-free facility). They apologized profusely and offered other options including one of the cabins. We ended up taking keys for two other rooms and settled on one. The second room also had a smokey smell. The third was much better - no smokey smell. The owners said that they'd just had a big group stay there as they competed in the Highland Games and that some of them must have smoked. The lighting in all the rooms was poor - low wattage bulbs made the rooms dreary. All the carpets we saw were badly stained. The beds were fairly comfortable, and the bathrooms were clean. All the furnishing is aged and not very well dusted. The one A/C filter I looked at was extremely dirty and it looked like the unit hadn't been vacuumed/cleaned in a good long time. The shrubbery needs to be tamed.

I will not stay here again, though I'd love to stop by and talk for a few minutes with the owners because they are really nice folks trying to do the best for their customers.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Wingsnsails
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The owners of this motel were very friendly and helpful. However, we expected a better place after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor. It needs some work such as airing out the rooms(smelled old and musty), trimming the shrubbery and general sprucing up to make more appealing. We were the only ones there. The outdoor pool looked nice and well-maintained. The road was very busy with trucks and cars going back and forth. Luckily I wear two hearing aids so could take them out. My hubby wore his earplugs. With some general maintenance and cleaning this motel could receive a higher rating in the future. Take into consideration that restaurants are few in the small town or drive to Little Switzerland for a fantastic meal at the Chalet Restaurant.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple