“Quaint Lodge”
Review of Big Lynn Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Big Lynn Lodge
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We have stayed at Big Lynn Lodge for several years. We enjoy the quaitness of it and love staying in cottage 112. We go in October - trees did not have much color this yea but we still enjoyed driving on the Blueridge Parkway. I would recommend this to anyone who does not have to have luxury!!

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I decided at the last minute to travel from Charlotte to Western North Carolina to view the autumn leaves. We knew that finding a room would be difficult, but decided to chance it. On our way north along the Blue Ridge Parkway we discovered Little Switzerland and Big Lynn Lodge. Happily due to some sort of reservation confusion 1 room was available on our arrival. We had a great view, the room was comfortable and spotless and the price included dinner and breakfast. Dinner, one offering, was ordinary but ok, seconds were available and breakfast was chosen from the menu. There was live, good bluegrass music in the evening. The owners and staff could not have been friendlier. The atmosphere was like a family reunion and I suspect that had we stayed for more than one night we would have met everyone.

Room Tip: ask for 1 with a view
Reviewed 18 October 2013

A couple of my friends invited me to join them at their annual trek to the Big Lynn Lodge in Little Switzerland, NC. After reading the many positive reviews on TripAdvisor, I was really looking forward to the trip.

When I made the reservation, I was told on the phone that they would charge my credit card for almost half of my stay. That was not what I was used to with other hotels and inns, but I agreed. The price for the night was about what you would pay at a four-star hotel and it included breakfast and supper (but no lunch) so I was not too put off by the price of the room.

But when I arrived and saw my cabin, it was quite primitive. None of the furniture in the room matched. I have been in some very delightful bed and breakfast places where the setting was rustic but the decor was wonderful and the food was fantastic! Big Lynn Lodge had neither. While the room was quiet, the bed was not very comfortable. I could feel one of the bedsprings poking me in my back.

In my cabin, the window shade was broken, so you could not close the curtains completely allowing anyone walking by to have a view of you in the light. Speaking of lights, one of the lamps in the room did not work. I sat down with friends in the lodge to play a game, and the table was very wobbly. We tried to insert paper under the table just to make it steady enough for us to play a game. This is ridiculous for the price you have to pay for this place.

The food was good, but not great. It certainly was not anything to write home about. It might be a little less than what you might get at Denny's or Cracker Barrel. But don't expect that many options -- the options are quite limited. I certainly would not make a trip there just for the food.

The final straw for me was the wireless internet which they advertised did not work. I had counted on the internet to do some things on my laptop while I was staying there. But neither the wireless in the lobby nor on their guest computer worked (there is not wireless availability in the private rooms -- only in the lobby). We I complained to the front desk about this, their response was, "Well, the internet works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. It's just one of those things." I don't think you should advertise as having wireless internet if it does not work half of the time.

The best part of my stay there was the friendliness of the waitresses. They were wonderful! But then your room charge only covers your food; it does not cover your gratuities. When you arrive, the front desk will give you a sheet of paper describing what the expected tips will be for the waitresses at each meal.

I talked to many of the people who stayed there, and some have been coming every year for dozens of years. Most of the people who stay here are older, retired couples. I doubt that the Big Lynn Lodge would attract many younger couples.

I certainly will not be back here again. The place is run down. It certainly has a lot of potential, and I'm sure at one time it was a very special place to come on an annual basis. But I would never recommend it to anyone. Expect to pay more than $150 a night for less than Motel 6 quality.

1  Thank DoctorJehle
Reviewed 8 October 2013

A very nice place located in a very quaint little area. Little Switzerland is a great place for a weekend getaway in the NC mountains along the BRP. The lodge owners are very friendly and very accommodating.

Dinner & Breakfast are included (albeit with a limited/set menu), making the Big Lynn a great value overall. The dining service has a reputation for being slow when the lodge is at 50% capacity or higher. Food is good, but newcomers may not be accustomed to the Family Style seating and dining arrangements. There is a numbering system -- preassigned table settings by room number which can change every day. Your proximity to the wonderful view by the large windows is based on your length of stay and your room quality (rate amount).

In a nutshell, this is a great place to relax and unwind while taking in the view from a magnificent vista. And usually right outside your own room. I enjoyed watching the weather systems play out beneath me, rolling along the valley floor below. I was able to see a strong thunderstorm blow in from Marion, NC just before sunset as it headed westward towards Asheville, NC. My wife and I plan to return again next year.

The free WiFi is cable based and had fairly decent signal strength. Although we were located just about 75 yards away from the front desk with a clear shot (no structures in between). Most other hotels in that area tend to use the cheaper satellite based WiFi which has very poor bandwidth compared to the better cable option. Unfortunately, therein lies the rub as far as the cluttered and obstructed views go. Having cable access is a double-edge sword in a place like this since the wonderful view can often be polluted with dozens of cables and wires crisscrossing in front of you from every building. Fortunately, the wires seem to "disappear" after it gets dark out ... giving way to a spectacular view below; like a 1000 glowing embers beneath a toasty fireplace.

Room Tip: "Partial View" = "Obstructed View (with lots of wires)"
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank T-Bone_Steaks
Reviewed 7 October 2013

My husband and I took our two grandsons to the NC Mountains this past weekend. We stayed at the lodge and had a wonderful time. The folks were so nice, the food was fabulous and our condo/suite was very clean and accommodating. It was everything that I hoped it would be. The boys loved the place...it was so quiet and the scenery was breathtaking. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone. It was very rustic and gave us the feel of going back in time. We were very pleased with our overall experience

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2013

A last minute motorcycle trip on the Parkway took us to this quaint lodge. If you are looking to kick back and enjoy the simpler things in life and enjoy childhood memories of vacations in the mountains...this is the place. Very accommodating and friendly staff await you. The room price includes breakfast & dinner. My favorite part was the ringing of the dinner bell when it was time to dine. Nothing fancy-but clean and the food was wonderful...you will be made feel very welcome at "The Big Lynn Lodge.

Room Tip: Stay in a cottage. Have their own porch & rockers. Private & the best view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sam55TaylorsvilleNc
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Really brilliant lodge, excellent staff, delicious food, very comfortable log cabin, stunning views from the dining room. Everything you could ask for at an excellent price. Five star all the way. Only stayed one night but would have loved to stay longer if time had permitted.

Room Tip: Any room would be fine
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Been to Big Lynn Lodge? Share your experiences!