“What a View”
Review of Big Lynn Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Big Lynn Lodge
Miami, FL
“What a View”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I never quite know how to rate hotels -- so I rate them according to what they say they are. Big Lynn Lodge isn't fancy, but it's clean (most important to me), beds are comfortable, food is delicious, people are extremely friendly (but not intrusive), and the view is simply amazing. I like the fact that the integrity of the original structures are being maintained. This results in small bathrooms (at least in the cottages), but I'd choose that over having the old cottages demolished in order to build bigger bathrooms. I find the old-fashioned cottages to be charming. I also like patronizing "mom and pop" places rather than chains. We took our two granddaughters (6 & 16) with us and they thoroughly enjoyed our two nights at Big Lynn Lodge. They enjoyed actually experiencing a similar atmosphere to the one we did as kids -- including learning how to play horseshoes and corn hole! The little one spent a good amount of time trying to catch clouds ;)

Big Lynn Lodge is a convenient base for visiting Mt. Mitchell and Crabtree Falls, and the BRP has a Gem Museum right there in Little Switzerland. There are several good mining locations in the area. There is also a waterfall located on private land that you are allowed to walk to.

Room Tip: Most all the cottages have good/great views. The higher the cottage number, the better the view. The...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Big Lynn is a cosy collection of cottages perched on a ridge of the Smokies. I think it's been there since the 1930s, but the cottages have been renovated and modernized to some extent recently. That doesn't spoil the homey experience. Breakfast and dinner (good country food) come with the room rate. The town of Little Switzerland is a string of small shops a short drive away: don't miss the used book store. At times the mountain top is fogged in; without the view you feel like the Big Lynn is an island in a pool of white, which is lovely too. Bring a sweater.

Room Tip: I prefer the cottages to the hotel rooms. Each has a front porch with a couple of rocking chairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kjcolvard
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 August 2014

this is a wonderful, inexpensive but Rustic lodge. If you are looking for updated frills - go somewhere else...If you want to experience beautiful sunrises/sunsets, relaxed atmosphere and a touch of 1950's resort life....make sure to stop and stay! You will not regret it. The meals that came with the price of the room were very filling and delicious! The staff is attentive and friendly. Our 3 night stay was wonderful and relaxing.

Room Tip: Call them and ask whether the room faces the road or the valley.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sevierville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 August 2014

t was a nice and relaxing atmosphere! We went with a group of Motorcycle riders and The owners were very nice and accommodating! They even prepared a Gluten Free meal for me. Also the Owner came out and said Thank you to everyone; a nice personal touch!

Room Tip: Some rooms do not have air conditioners.. However, July 5th the weather was 50 Degrees and you did n...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Marion Indiana
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Ok I must be getting old but as I was riding my Crossbone through the Blue Ridge I found myself daydreaming of the happy vacations of my childhood in the 60s.
Of course those lodges of the past no longer had holes in the screens, buzzing bugs, crappy beds and moldy showers. With my memory now finely filtered through time, those daydreams of my childhood were spotless.
Now this is where it gets weird.
Next thing you know my wonderful husband pulls into the BIG LYNN LODGE. And I find myself having a serous case of DAYDREAM DEJA VU.
Big Lynn was every thing I was dreaming of. Only unlike my purified daydreams this place truly was spotless, the rooms had all the charm I dreamed of, only better.
The beds were great the pillows were better and the views were the best.
My favorite was the windows that opened and closed with solid screens that made our night even more dreamy as we fell asleep surrounded with the smells of mountain air and a soft rain shower.
Now I know I said the views were the best...Not to mention the deer out our window.
But as I think about it, the meals that were included in the price were the best...Im not talking that nasty crap of my Stuckys Nightmares
Im talking home cooking at its finest...or wait, maybe it was the service that was the best...Or the chairs on the porches..
No wait I got it. On top of all the great things I could say about this place, believe it or not they even had a free laundry... That's right FREE & CLEAN...
I Love You Big Lynn!

Room Tip: We stayed on the back side where the views were beautiful but all things considered the views are be...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tntftw
Manchester, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Having stayed in 9 different hotels/motels as part of a two week vacation, none compared to the wonderful experience that we had at the Big Lynn Lodge. Innkeepers Hoyt and Vickie made us feel welcome and at home. We can't thank them enough. We arrived just before dinner time without a reservation and we were greeted in a very friendly way. We loved the home made delicious dinner and wonderful full breakfast that is included in the price of the cabin. We received excellent, very friendly and attentive service from the two waitresses during dinner and breakfast. The cabin was spotless, had very crisp white bed linens and towels and a very comfortable bed. We are so happy that we found Big Lynn Lodge!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 July 2014

If you're in the area, you MUST stop by Big Lynn Lodge! If you're looking for a great base location to explore the Blue a Ridge Parkway, this is it. The staff couldn't be friendlier, the rooms couldn't be cleaner, and the food (breakfast and dinner are included in the price of your room) couldn't be fresher. For those of you on 2 wheels, they are VERY motorcycle friendly, even offering towels to wipe down the bikes. Cabins are a step back in time that have been meticulously kept up. The nitty gritty: awesome water pressure in the shower, towels are thick, quality, and smell so fresh I think they must dry them in this fresh mountain air. WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Cabins have great view facing east for awesome sunrises
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Burnsville
Springmaid Mountain
Springmaid Mountain
#2 of 5 in Spruce Pine

Been to Big Lynn Lodge? Share your experiences!