“Great views, but that's all going for it.”
Review of Big Lynn Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Big Lynn Lodge
Reviewed 29 July 2010

A 2009 change in ownership has obviously not improved the appearance of the place. The decor is still very much late 50's-early 60's with dark paneling, dark "indoor/outdoor" 60's carpet, low beds with hard mattresses, tiny bathrooms, the fixtures of which appeared to have been updated at some time ago, and the smallest, thinnest towels I have every seen in a motel. This would be a great place for a 60's period movie, but that's about all. The breakfast was good, with choices available, but the dinner was diner style with all being served the same thing: thin sliced roast beef wrapped in a dill pickle, canned corn and overcooked pea pods. Too bad the prices weren't late 50's.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CBellCary_NC
There are newer reviews for Big Lynn Lodge

Reviewed 26 July 2010

The family-style food was delicious and perfectly family friendly. The owners were helpful and polite. Others have commented on the view -- and they were correct. The rooms were special in their cleanliness if not in their luxury. The beds were much more comfortable than I expected. Because of the layout, we felt like we had much more privacy than we might have in a mondo-hotel. We will certainly go back!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My children and their families and I stayed two days at Big Lynn. Our rooms were clean and spacious and looked out upon the glorious Black Mountains. We loved the dinners and breakfasts: good and plentiful food, cheerful servers, and all included in the room rates. Our kids enjoyed the activity room, with its pool and games tables, and we adults enjoyed the safe, comfortable feeling of a friendly, family-run business. We all voted to stay here again someday.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2010

What a surprisingly wonderful find! Right off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Most rooms have a tremendous 100-mile view similar to many of the BRP Overlooks . The general sense of the people staying there is relaxed and friendly. Dinner and breakfast come with the price and a big dinner bell is rung at 7:30am and 6:00pm. This seems to pull the visitors much closer together. I met more people here than I have ever experienced in a hotel or lodge. It was more like a B&B+ as far as the people go.

I found the owners extremely friendly and generous (more like a neighbor than a business owner). One can easily sense that they have chosen this pursuit because they love it.

The buildings are very old. The rooms were satisfactory. I stayed dry, slept well, watched some TV, and manage all my daily duties just fine. The owners are new there since fall 2009. I wish them well in achieving their ambitious upgrade goals.

I spent 12 days riding my bike along the BRP. I had a boat-load of wonderful experiences with great weather, saw many beautiful places, met many great people...and I find that in retelling my tales, the Big Lynne Lodge and its owners often end up as part of my story that made this a memorable trip.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank BRPcycler
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My husband and I stay at the lodge and at the first sight we knew we should have stayed at a different location. As soon as we entered the room I pulled the sheets down and they had not been changed, there were hairs all over the sheets and pillow cases. The owners son came in and changed the sheets stepping all over the blankets and sweating every where. That night you could hear people snoring and dogs walking around, it was very noisy and to top it off in the morning at 7 am people were talking loud and all of a sudden they owners ring a dinner bell for what seemed like forever. We went to lunch and came back to the room around 2 pm and our towels were missing but our room had yet to be cleaned. So during our stay our room wasn't clean and the owners fathers dog bit my husband on our way to a wedding. We were not offered a lower rate and we will never return!! I would have rather stayed in a tent with the wild animals then sleep in an out dated unaccommodating, loud and dirty Lodge. The owners have no experience what so ever and it shows..

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becca069
Reviewed 1 July 2010

The location of this place is fantastic. Unfortunately, other than the friendly and helpful staff, that is the only high point of Big Lynn.

Starting with the food (note that the room rate includes dinner and breakfast), breakfast was great with lots of options, but the turkey dinner was just average cafeteria type food, at best.

In terms of overall condition, the entire place needs some serious updating in order to bring it up to value for the price, which i thought was about double what it should have been given the condition of the entire place.

The room we had was very outdated with old furniture, faded and wrinkled carpet, and a general old if not slightly musty smell. The bed was comfortable and clean. The bathroom was very small (European style small) but clean even though it was outdated too. The vanity and sink is actually in the room rather than in the bathroom. No big deal, but there is a lack of places to plug things in like shaver, hair dryer, etc. The sink faucet needed adjusted in order to make it functional and easy to turn water on and off. My friend also had to wait a while running the water to get hot water for a shower.

The outside appears nice at first but then when you walk up to the "duplex" cabin or walk past the motel type setup of rooms, you notice crumbling cement porches, old rotting wood railings and wood trim, and faded paint all around. The place really needs a renovation but my fear is that it's too far gone for that and for such a great location then best option might be complete reconstruction.

Look elsewhere before deciding on Big Lynn. If the fancy lodge down the road is full (as it was when we were in town) then skip the Big Lynn and find something else outside of town, but do stop in Little Switzerland to check it out.

Safe travels...

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Pack-Less
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My wife got bitten all over by bed bugs while staying in one of the lodge rooms. Horrible!

Lodge owner very rude and unfriendly. We were asked to leave. When I asked why, he first wouldn't say something. After insisting he let us know that it was because we didn't finished all the breakfast we were served and because we asked for a late check out (which we didn't get).
The only good thing was the view that was great!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Burnsville
Springmaid Mountain
Springmaid Mountain
#2 of 5 in Spruce Pine

Been to Big Lynn Lodge? Share your experiences!