Firstly, I must say that Mike is the perfect host and has interesting stories to tell about the provenance of the place. He cooks a nice breakfast and the view is wonderful.
The hotel has tons of character and was built from assorted local materials including some amazing woodwork back in the 40's.
It looks like the place requires a lot of maintenance and could do with an infusion of cash. Housekeeping was sub-par, sadly, and the tip envelope in each of the two rooms we had for the night remained empty. The bath in one room was not clean and the fridge in the other room had someone else's leftovers in it.
During the night it rained quite hard and the roof leaked in our room. Fortunately it leaked between the two beds :)
There was a lot of water damage evident in the bar area where the pool table is.
I would still recommend the place if you can handle the level of rustic that it is... It was fine for our purposes, but some might not be able to forgive the missteps.
I can imagine that keeping the place maintained is a full time job due to it's age, but the place could be made pretty darn wonderful with a whole lot of additional TLC.
Mike is starting up a motorcycle rental business from behind the inn, and I wish him well with it; I think it is a great idea and might well return to try it out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at Milepost 331 on the Blue Ridge Parkway, halfway between Asheville and Blowing Rock/ Boone. Just 25 miles north of Mt. Mitchell and 25 miles south of Grandfather Mountain. We are motorcycle friendly and, in fact we rent Dual Sport Motorcycles. We are also Pet friendly. We are perched high on top of the Blue Ridge adjacent to the Parkway and only 200 feet from the Parkway ramp at the NC226 exit. We have 16 affordable rooms with a balcony that runs the length of the building overlooking the Catawba Valley and surrounding mountains. We have covered motorcycle parking as well as ground floor access to all 3 floors. The building has been renovated with new plumbing, electrical and refinished red oak floors. There is some very unique wood paneling made from 22 varieties of native wood. We serve guests only in the restaurant with an excellent beer and wine selection for on and off premises. Our gift shop has some unique rocks, gems and minerals, jewelry and Diamondback NC226A souvenirs and T-shirts. We pride ourselves on customer focus and hospitality. Come see us at the Skyline. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Skyline Village Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Skyline Village Inn And Cavern Tavern
- Skyline Village Inn & Cavern Tavern Hotel Little Switzerland
- Skyline Village Hotel Cavern Tavern