“Ahi Tuna yum!”
Review of Switzerland Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Switzerland
Switzerland Inn
little switzerland
“Ahi Tuna yum!”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

The Ahi tuna at the Chalet Restaurant in Little Switzerland is by far the best I have had in a long, long time. I used to live in the heart of Chicago's Japanese district - so I know my Ahi Tuna. Ahi Tuna is only seared on the outside to preserve the juiceiness of the tuna and then allowed to come to room temperature, or chilled to bring out the flavor of the tuna. This is just how it is done here, and I will really miss my weekly trips to the Cafe Restaurant when they close for the season.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Just got back from my 1st trip to Switzerland Inn this past weekend and my only complaint is that I'm not still there! The leaves were turning and the view from the lodge was breathtaking. The staff was friendly and helpful, and the accommodations were perfect. Switzerland Inn really is a little slice of heaven!

After a long drive there we decided to head straight to dinner at the Chalet Restaurant and were pleasantly surprised to find an extensive prime rib and seafood buffet awaiting us. It was all so delicious! I couldn't get enough on my plate in one trip, so I went back for seconds and thirds! Get the prime rib and you won't go wrong! They have it on the regular dinner menu and as a sandwich for lunch. If you are in the mood for steak, get their NY strip. The NY strip steak at the Chalet Restaurant was honestly better than any steak I've ever gotten at Ruth's Chris or JK's. I mean that thing was GOOD! If you are in Little Switzerland on a Friday, you have to swing by the Chalet Restaurant for the prime rib and seafood buffet or else you're missing out. Everyone in our group left dinner filled to the gills and smiling like a possum.

We stayed in the Chanticleer building and were completely satisfied with the accommodations. The room was immaculate when we arrived, the beds were cozy, and the overall atmosphere was of a rustic home away from home. But no one visits the mountains to just stay in their room, so once we got situated we made our way to the Fowl Play Pub.

Go to The Fowl Play Pub!! The pub was a blast. Both Friday and Saturday night there was live music. We all had a great time there swapping stories, listening to good music, and just being able to unwind. The Fowl Play Pub is hands down my new favorite watering hole. Their signature drink "Diamondback Venom" is some great hooch. It comes in a small bucket with lots of straws so you can share it with your friends, or tackle it on your own if you're feeling adventurous.

I really cant say enough good things about our experience at the Switzerland Inn. The view from the inn was so beautiful that we spent an entire afternoon sitting on the patio right outside the lodge just enjoying the scenery, good company, and a platter of seared tuna.

Regarding the previous review and the sesame seared tuna appetizer... Our group split a platter of seared tuna at least once a day and everyone agreed that it was amazing. When you sear tuna, the inside is left rare and if you read the bottom of the menu at your local Texas Roadhouse you'll see it written out for you: rare - cold red center, soft. So I have no idea how saying that it was cold denotes anything remotely negative about the dish and I always found it to be very flavorful. An all around great dish really.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Billy M
Apex, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My wife and I have stayed and eaten at the Switzerland Inn on many occasions over the last several years. We love being there and the food is simply wonderful for breakfast, lunch, and supper every time we have had our several meals at the Little Switzerland Inn Restaurant. They have a terrace from which you can eat and see the wonderful Blue Ridge Mountains. A great selection of meals exists on the menu and all are very reasonaby priced. The Hotel is lovely, with lots of history, and the owners, Gary and Jackie Jensen, their family, and all the staff, are superb and professionsal and helpful. Delightful is the best way to describe the entire experience at both the Hotel and Restaurant. There are several fine shops across the parking lot by the Hotel and Restaurant that make shopping a special experience while you are in that area.

Thanks,

Happy Traveler

Room Tip: We prefer the mountainside view rooms or the villas with mountain views
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
advance nc
Reviewed 10 October 2011

This summer we visited Little Switzerland Inn and had several very tasty meals, however upon returning this weekend, we were greatly disappointed with everything but breakfast. Both my wife and I I had filet of Mountain Trout and it was served fairly promply even though the Inn Restaurant was busy. The trout was very dried out, flat as a pancake, and it was obvious that it had been precooked and sitting under warming lights awaiting an order. I would not be surprised if it had been previously frozen and taken out of a box. It lacked flavor, the "burbon encrusted pecans had no flavor, and the cocktail tomatoes and lettuce was without any dressing or seasoning....
That evening, for an appetizer, I had tuna with sesame seeds. The Tuna looked delicious, could be cut with a fork, would almost melt in your mouth, however, it was cool, not warm, had no flavor whatsoever, and after the experience at lunch, I sent it back and just settled for just the Swiss Onion Soup, which was was satisfactory at best. Certainly not what you would expect of a good restaurant, but perhaps they have a new chef.
The room at the Inn was spacious, and clean, however the carpet was WELL worn and even had a patch in it and the furnishings were bare bones. There are two beds, a bedside table, desk, and tv that could be watched only from the bed or relocating a straight back chair. There was one wing back chair in the corner. The walls are paper thin in the rooms and we had to sleep with the fan going due to being able to hear conversations of four women next door late into the night.

The big fireplace, with wood stacked beside it, was not burning-only a gas log firplace on one side was burning-not a lot of atmosphere for a mountain lodge.

Unfortunately, there are not many choices in the area..the Inn and Big Lynn are the two best, and think the next time I would choose Boone, Blowing Rock or Waynesville or another mountain area to visit.

The Little Switzerland Inn is NOT what you would think of as a resort..

Room Tip: The best view is from the main lodge, mountain view.....the rooms are lightly smaller, but the large...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank mongooseadvancenc
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I went for a weekend getaway here for my husband's birthday, and we stayed in an A-Frame cabin, and were able to bring our little dog along too. We had the best experience of the area and the inn facilities; staff encountered were helpful and friendly, and the views and pace of living was exactly what we needed to relax and spend much-needed quality time together. Our A-Frame was the cutest- very clean & well kept. We enjoyed our romantic steak dinner at the Chalet as well as breakfast overlooking the gardens/blue ridge mountains. There are several walking trails and nearby attractions such as Linville Falls (about 20 min by car) to take advantage of. I would recommend this to any families as well as couples looking for a charming cozy mountain getaway...the Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland does not disappoint!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AKShah84
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 26 September 2011

As we were leaving we were trying to figure out how long we have been coming to Switzerland Inn...I think we agreed on six years. Each year is great. From the greeting you get as you check in, to the cleanliness of the rooms, to the exceptionally pleasant staff, you cannot get any better. We stayed this past Thursday and Friday, only to move onto another location for Saturday night. It was place I had wanted to stay since I was in school at ASU, Archer Inn at Beech Mountain/Banner Elk. From the moment we checked in, it was one disappointment after another. My husband and keep finding ourselves saying, "Gary would not have tolerated this", " Gary would be mortified", "Valerie and Jenn would have wroked circles around this bartender".

With this said, sometimes you need to see the bad to really appreciate the good. We will continue our treks to the Switzerland Inn for many years to come. We try to stay at least 2 if not 3 times a year. I would encourage anyone looking for some time away, rest and relaxtion to make this your next "got to do" trip.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I loved the view, the food and the room. Staff are friendly and helpful, the menu has variety and the food is prepared well and served quickly. The grounds are excellent for an outdoor wedding and they have a good indoor backup location in case of rain or cold weather.

It's close enough that you can get to a big store if you need to, but far enough out to feel isolated. A great location.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
#1 of 1 in Glen Alpine
Springmaid Mountain
Springmaid Mountain
#2 of 5 in Spruce Pine

Been to Switzerland Inn? Share your experiences!