“Liked Everything About the Place”

Candy Sue's Downtown
Ranked #10 of 101 Restaurants in Lumberton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Need to add this. The original Candy Sue's is on Pine Street in Lumberton, and just moved to a 2nd, larger, location downtown. Good menu.
Reviewed 30 January 2014

A solo road trip from New England to Florida landed me in Lumberton for an overnight stay. Using Tripadvisor for guidance, i fortunately discovered Candy Sue's. Enthusiastically, I validate all the positive comments others have said about this local restaurant. I liked everything about the place! Located in the historic district, this one-time livery stable, with its exposed brick walls, vaulted ceilings, impressive trusswork, classic flooriing and windows exudes a comfortable, nostalgic atmosphere. Kevin and Hope, the owner and my waitress, provided exceptional service and attention. Of course I had to try the butt skins, their signature appetizer. The diverse menu offers a nice selection of great food in decent portions at reasonable prices. On the Thursday night I dined at Candy Sue's, a terrifically talented musican named Lyric Bailey (reminded me of a Country version of Anders Osbourn) gave his last performance at this local venue before heading to Nashville with his family and a contract. If this Southern gem were located in my Massachusetts locale, I would definately be a regular!

1  Thank Just-keep-living
There are newer reviews for Candy Sue's Downtown

Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is worth taking some time and have lunch or dinner at Candy Sue's Downtown. Off I-95 at Lumberton and head east, go straight until 3rd street, left turn and your there. Rustic atmosphere, very unique BBQ selections, which are quite tasty. Should not be missed.

1  Thank JVK084
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Reviewing the review, not the restaurant. We ended up eating somewhere else because the location seems to be wrong. Would have liked to have tried it as it sounded good. We ended up at The Village Station.

Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has it all: amazing food, good waitstaff and a beautiful location. Lunchtime has a cafeteria line so you can be in and out quickly. Dinner has table service. Ribs are good. The potato salad is excellent. Great southern flavors with a twist. Prices are reasonable and portions are good.

1  Thank MaryMac92
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We travel a bunch up & down I95 between South Florida & the North East. We like to get off the road a bit and try local places. Candy Sue's was the #1 restaurant on TA so we decided to check it out!
The location is in the down town area of Lumberton. We called to get a full address for our GPS ( 111 W. 3rd Street, Lumberton, NC). From our hotel (The Country Inn & Suites) it was a short drive.
The restaurant was lovely - in an older building with exposed brick & wood beams. Our server was a young man who was cheerful, friendly, and helpful.
We had read many of the reviews so we already had in mind what we wanted to order. We were not too hungry so we decided upon an appetizer and then an entrée to split. We had the Potato Butts for the appetizer. They were very yummy - great flavor. The portion was generous. For the entrée we had the brisket. We substituted a side for the house salad so we had two sides along with the brisket. The brisket meal was very good. Their BBQ sauce is amazing - great flavor. For our sides we had the ranch potatoes ( a loaded mashed potato with ranch flavoring) and the Vidalia Onion cobbler. Both were very good.
Even though we were stuffed we went ahead and ordered the fried cheesecake. We were really full so we were not able to fully enjoy the cheesecake. It was a very large potion. We only had a few bites but did not feel too bad because the price was so reasonable ( less than $5).
We will definitely stop in again at Candy Sue's next time we make a stop in Lumberton.

1  Thank Sarah R