“Horror Movie Scary!”

Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Lumberton
New York City, New York
“Horror Movie Scary!”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

My husband and I were traveling south, exhausted and could not find a room anywhere else at 1:30AM. We should have slept in the car. We slept on top of the covers and refused to take showers since the bathroom was filthy. We used bottled water to brush and wash up. We hightailed it out of there at daylight and did not desire to try the breakfast.

Room Tip: The room looked like something out of a bad 70's horror flick. There are no good choices.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
mannythadani, Manager at Knights Inn Lumberton, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Natalie M,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to share a review with us. I am sorry that we were not able to provide you with an enjoyable stay. We would have gladly changed your room had we known that there was issues. We have recently hired and trained new housekeepers. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall experience for future guests.

Americas Best Value Inn-Lumberton, NC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Agawam, MA
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stopped here cause place down the street that I had reservations for had major electrical problems and their lot was being dig up looking for power cable break. Room was ok, checkin staff helpful and friendly. Contintal breakfast was ok, but was only really after the coffee. BUT...... Motel is also used for either homeless shelter or local worker hotel. mini bus of workers dropped off at 8pm at one of the rooms where they hung out eating and drinking outside till 11pm when another short bus picked up all but 4 of them.. Night clerk said they would be leaving by 11... not the right answere or solution..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Chase-Family01001,

I appreciate the fact that you shared your experience with us. I apologize for any inconveniences you had while staying. We do have workers that stay with us due to our convenient location to I-95. Most of the time we do not have any issues with them. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations.

Americas Best Value Inn-Lumberton, NC

Travellers are raving about these Lumberton hotels

Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Dirty....the room stunk, mold everywhere...stained mattress, headboard fell off the wall, bathroom was dirty and moldy. Worst I've ever seen! Slept (barely) in my clothes. Could not wait to get out of there! This place should be condemned! Will be calling the health dept! Rated -10

• Stayed October 2013
Dear shadowluv2,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us in 2013. I am concerned about the housekeeping and maintenance issues you encountered. We have already hired and trained new housekeepers and have some plans this year to enhance the property.

Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 29 May 2013

This Best Value Inn in Lumberton, NC was the worst place I have ever slept! Holes in the floor under the carpet, urine smell, small thin towels, dirty toilet, filthy grout and tile, poor mattress, old bed spreads, loud A/C unit. Room #107 = gross! We will not ever stop at a BVI again.

Room Tip: old poop in the toilet! really!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear KittenGRL,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to personally apologize for the negative experience you had with us in 2013. Sorry for not responding sooner. Please know that we have hired and trained new housekeepers, replaced our mattresses, and soon we will be painting our rooms and parking lot.

New York
Reviewed 11 May 2013 via mobile

Bathroom dirty.. Blood on floor!
Supposed to include continental breakfast of tea, coffee, toast, donuts & dry cereal from 6-9am. By 8am there was nothing left but tea & coffee & maybe some stale cereal. Find another place!

• Stayed May 2013
mannythadani, Manager at Knights Inn Lumberton, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Divapaco,

On behalf of the staff of Americas Best Value Inn, I would like to apologize for the negative experience you had with us. We do our best to ensure that each of our guests have a pleasant stay. We are currently undergoing some renovations at this time. I will be speaking with our housekeeping team to ensure that this does not happen again in the future. Please give me a call so that I can discuss the matter further with you.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 April 2013

it was ok, seemed clean, lots of cigarette burns on the blankets and chairs. We had 2 rooms, both were the same, glad my elderly parents could not see much. Breakfast was cherrios ( or generic brand) coffee, donuts, toast. For the price 39 my parents said the breakfast was not that good, would not stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jerry M,

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We are in the process of renovating our rooms. We hope that these improvements will enhance the overall experience. I am sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations. We hope that you give us another opportunity in the future.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Frankly, we stopped at this place because it was the least expensive and we needed a place to crash for the night. We'd done an unexpected whirlwind trip to and from Florida for a funeral and had pushed hard to get this far.

We took a Queen Standard room which happened to be directly above the office. The desk clerk was quite nice and even gave me a rather complicated password for the wireless internet, which it turned out I didn't need because the wi-fi wasn't protected.

Our room wasn't outfitted with refrigerator, microwave or coffee maker, but there were soaps and shampoos available in the bathroom. The bathroom is the split type, with toilet and tub in one room and the sink on the outside, in the main area (although partially separated by a baffle). The clothes rack was mounted in this same area.

Contrary to the opinions noted elsewhere, the room appeared to be clean, if a little worn-down. There's a continental breakfast available in the mornings but not a huge assortment; just enough to get you on the road. There also isn't a huge amount of space for the breakfast, so you may be better off just taking it back to your room. If you're more into the sit-down hot breakfast, there are lots of options nearby, including a Cracker Barrel that's literally within walking distance (it's on the service road, though, so I don't really recommend walking there).

Let me hit the low points:

--The bed is definitely old and in need of replacement. I can sleep practically anywhere but my wife had great difficulty. Also, the bed had only two pillows (could be a dealbreaker for some).
--The carpeting was in decent shape but oddly didn't go all the way to the wall on one side, ending as though someone had taken a giant pair of pinking shears to it.
--The outlets weren't all accessible, and/or had been taken up by existing fixtures (lamps, TV). There was an outlet by the bathroom sink, but who wants to charge their stuff near a sink?
--Here's a weird one: at one point, evidently the original lid to the toilet tank had broken. Their solution was to put a non-matching lid on to replace it. The replacement lid was much larger than the original, so that it stuck out a few inches on both sides.
--Tub didn't have a drain plug, either built-in or as a stopper on the side. If you wanted to take a bath, you had to use the washcloth-jammed-in-the-drain trick.
--The (tube-style) TV didn't have a huge assortment of channels, it was mostly local TV. This doesn't bug me a lot; as I've mentioned elsewhere I'm mostly concerned with getting a decent picture and sound. This I did get, however the remote wasn't correctly programmed. Consequently I could use it to turn the TV on and off, but the volume control didn't work. When you're surfing through those few channels and one of them is much louder (or softer, for that matter) than the others, that can be a big problem.

So our experience was just a Big Bowl of Okay. Definitely still in the Caveat Emptor stage.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Claude C,

I appreciate the fact that you shared such an honest review with us. I would like to first begin by saying that we have been doing alot of work the past several months. We are in the process of updating our furniture, bedding, and painting. We also recently added a new lobby. We hope that these changes will better reflect on our property in the future.