“Best vacation ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maggie Valley
The Cataloochee Ranch
Reviewed 21 June 2013

We loved our vacations at Cataloochee Ranch, and the kids had the best time! they were able to explore, make new friends and run around the property safe, the food was really good and the horse rides were fun. Cabin was neat, comfortable and had a great view! Great place for family vacations...oh!..and the weather is around 60 degrees in summer!!! :D

Room Tip: Cabins are best for families with children
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Cataloochee Ranch

Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I planned a trip here based upon an article in National Geographic Traveler. The Ranch did not live up to the expectations. The bottom line is they charge too much for what you get. We stayed in a ranch room where the walls are paper thin and you can hear everything going on in the entire ranch house. The room was extremely basic and devoid of any luxuries or charming touches. The cabins are more expensive but, if you choose to stay here, that is where you should pick for the solitude and additional luxuries (TV, jacuzzi tubs, views, etc.). The food was an extreme disappointment. They miss the opportunity of serving fresh, local products and instead serve canned vegetables, bland meats, and inedible desserts. The family dining style forces socializing which isn't for me though many seemed to enjoy it. The after dinner entertainment both nights we were there consisted of guitar playing. Breakfast was also lackluster-scrambled eggs, pancakes from a mix, bacon and sausage both mornings. The family who owns the place are interesting characters who eat meals with the guests. Ill leave it at that. Another disappointment was that the pool was closed and there were not activities I expected like bonfires, games, etc. The positive is that the ranch sits on 1,000 acres and has great trails. I recommend hiking to Hemphill Bald. For the prices they charge, it just isn't worth it.

• Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Megan K
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have been to cataloochee ranch 5 times and every time it was beautiful.I really enjoyed the big country style breakfast and dinners.We enjoyed horse back riding high up in the mountains up to hemphill bald overlooking the ski area.We usually go in the fall when the leaves are beautiful and the air is crisp and clear.When you get cold you can warm up in front of the large stone fireplace in the main lodge and have a hot cup of coffe or cocoa.Its really fun eating with all the other guests and meeting so many new and interesting people.The ranch is rustic and cozy but thats the way i like it and i cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: I like to stay in the main ranch house but the room is small and very rustic but thats what i love a...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank robert p
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I stayed at the ranch with family over the Christmas holidays, the staff was friendly and the ranch facilities are good, it is a big plus being close to the ski area, which my son enjoyed, we stayed in the lodge bldg and found it to be spacious with all ammenties, the food was good, though we would have liked more selection, after dinner we enjoyed some local musicians for one of the nites.
Nothing really negative, a little pricey,but overall very good and we will return

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank BAGOTONY
Reviewed 27 November 2012

My family comes here every summer and fall and we always have an amazing time. The cabins are quaint but very cozy, the food is southern comfort food and always delicious, on weekends in the summer there are cookouts. We are avid horseback riders and always do an all day ride. The horses are very well cared for and very well mannered. The staff is always so friendly and accommodating. My family looks forward to this vacation every year and we always have a great time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lauren H
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Not sure what the cabins are like but in one of the ranch house rooms where we stayed, the room was clean but the bed had an old very used musty comforter, old thin blanket on the bed, endless flies in the room in the fall season. Food was good, staff was friendly. Overall, disappointed..for the nightly fee I expected much more. For what we paid for the ranch room (over $200 a night) I could have stayed at the Ritz instead. Just sayin'

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Becky S
Reviewed 29 October 2012

If I owned this nice place my staff and food would be above top notch . This is not the case the grounds were well kept , but not the staff - most of them were not friendly and were just going through the motions . The female , I guess "owner" had breakfast with us, a little full of her self , not nice , I would say she didn't like having to run this place to pay the morgage . My family owns two resturants and the food during the week "out of cans" . This place needs a head chef , too many people in the kitchen. The ribs and chicken on friday night were better , but not top notch like the price of this place should have ...

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
#1 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Misty Mountain Ranch
Misty Mountain Ranch
#2 of 8 in Maggie Valley

Been to The Cataloochee Ranch? Share your experiences!