“Best trip ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maggie Valley
The Cataloochee Ranch
“Best trip ever!”
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Only come here if you love beauty and peace. Best place to go horseback riding in the southeast. Came here on our 26th wedding anniversary and we can't wait to go back. I wish we had found this place a long time ago.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jmikepoole
Mary C, General Manager at The Cataloochee Ranch, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you so much for your review! I am so glad that you enjoyed your time at Cataloochee Ranch. I hope that you will come again soon. Mary Coker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2014

My husband and I stayed in Dogwood cabin, which was very private and romantic. There is so much to do at the ranch and also within the surrounding area. The Horse back riding is wonderful. We went in the fall for change of season, which was amazing. The meals were good, but didn't enjoy sitting at a communal table, would have preferred to just be the two of us.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank luxpoet
Mary C, Manager at The Cataloochee Ranch, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Thank you so much for you review of Cataloochee Ranch. We strive to provide that perfect get away and am glad that you had a chance to visit us. I hope you met some nice people and had a chance to visit with new friends.
Efland, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 November 2013

First off, I stayed in the Main Ranch House, so the experience in the cabins or Silverbell Lodge may be different. The house is an old structure, but is in very good condition. They had a big fireplace which was nice to gather around. The biggest surprise was... NO TV in the rooms! (I understand that other areas of the property have DirecTV). This may be just what you are looking for, but I was a little surprised. There is a TV in the main lobby, if you just cannot make it without. They do have wi-fi, however, it can be a little slow, and you may get knocked off and have to reconnect. Also, NO CELL SERVICE on the mountain. I found a spot or two on the grounds that had a bar or two occasionally, just enough to check VM or make a call, but if you are very dependent on using your cell phone, forget about it!

The Hummingbird room where I stayed was very nice, with a queen and twin bed. It was fine for me at 5' 10", but if you are tall, you will hit your head on the roof beams, especially toward the outside wall. Likewise, people 6 feet and over will have to stoop in the shower and toilet area. The queen bed was very comfortable, and the heater kept the room nice and toasty (it got down just below freezing overnight on my 2 night stay).

The food was AWESOME!! My business retreat included all meals, and they were all incredible. Great home cooking, served family-style. For those unfamiliar with that concept, food was brought out in big bowls or platters, and you passed it around and got what you wanted. Beverages were served by the wait staff. Two of our meals were cookouts, where they placed a buffet outside next to the grill, where staff cooked steaks & ribs for supper, and hamburgers & hot dogs for lunch. You can eat outside if you want, but it was too cold to stay out there during my visit.

Some of the family members of my business associates went horseback riding, and I heard very good comments on their experience. I did not have time to participate in any outdoor activities.

Overall, it was a great experience. I would recommend it for families wanting to get-away-from-it-all during warmer months (my stay was in early November).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for you review of Cataloochee Ranch. I know many people want all the technology but we find that the lack of it helps people to reconnect to themselves and their families. Remember the gathering around the big fireplace? I hope to see you soon for a regular vacation or another business meeting.
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We just got back from a quick weekend trip and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The rooms are perhaps a bit dated, but met my expectations from reading other reviews and viewing pictures. My wife probably would have liked the rooms to be a bit more upscale, but they were fine by my standard...clean, warm, and cozy (Silverbell). The horseback riding was a lot of fun and we thought it was reasonably priced. Based on some of the reviews I was a bit unsure of the food but it was all wonderful....perhaps a highlight of the trip for me as I grew up on this type of food (fried chicken, baked ham, biscuits, grits, country fried steak). The grounds were beautiful and the staff and family were extremely pleasant and quick to answer questions and give background on the rich history. We did a long hike, sat by the beautiful fireplace, and enjoyed conversation with the other guests. We also stopped in Waynesville and enjoyed a nice lunch and a trip to the Mast General Store. We will definitely be coming back!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank traveldawg06
Thank you so much for your review of Cataloochee Ranch. Though I know the older building and furnishings are not for everyone, each room has it's own personality. We are in the continual process of updating the rooms and updating some of the menus. I look forward to see you again soon.
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

The family and I have been to the ranch many times over the past decade. Our recent visit is consistent with past visits. Just a bit more attention to detail, and thoughtful but inexpensive touches would pull them over the peak toward great. Instead, they are kind of stuck at very good.

Pro's
* Quiet, safe, family oriented environment - they're 70+ years in business.
* Horse rides are excellent; the Hemphill Bald ride is a standout. The guides have been universally excellent. This year we again had Sam lead our group on the 2.5-3 hour ride, like all the guides they are helpful, safety conscious and fun.
* Hiking; lots of trails to choose from. The hike over to the Swag is a family favorite. Evans Cove is 2nd.
* When Miss Patsy cooks, everyone is happy. She is awesome, her country style recipes are great.
* The Ranch has stepped up their after dinner entertainment. Music has been excellent for a couple seasons. Might not be a big hit with the kids, but the parents and others enjoyed the music very much.
* Skip all the junk on Soco Road, drive to nearby Waynesville for a a great lunch and shopping experience on Main Street.
* Private, covered outdoor deck with a million dollar view.

Con's
* Cabins need updating, even the pricey Cabins on the Ridge. Bathrooms, carpets, furniture.
* Lot of unhappy folks who take a room in Main Lodge, see above - plus noise/odor from adjacent rooms and spaces.
* Cookouts good, other meals are OK. The kitchen has not figured out how to serve a meal on a hot plate, so the food is frequently lukewarm or cold. This has worsened in the past few years.
* Logging off a big chunk of Ranch property this year, tearing up a whole hillside. Seems like a big disconnect between the Chestnut tree experiment and the cut and run logging operation?
* Lodging ammenities are getting pretty scarce, and down graded in quality. 2 hotel sized bars of soap for a family to last a week?????

Pro's very much out weigh the cons. Just a bit more attention to detail and they can clear the hurdle to being a great family resort, not just a good one.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in Main Lodge. Opt for a cabin. A Family of 3 maybe 4 would enjoy one of the cabins...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jim B
Mary C, Manager at The Cataloochee Ranch, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Thank you for you review. We appreciate your input and take all things to heart. As we approach our 80th anniversary we look for ways to continually improve and reviews like your help. Special attention will be paid to updating and upgrading the cabins. We always run our plates before service in order to provide a clean, warm plate but we will make that a bit closer to serving time. The logging we are doing is more selective timbering and thought it looks harsh now the long term plan is to provide sunlight to the young trees to allow them to grow. All this is done with careful consideration to the land as well as the guests and we are very vigelent about monitoring the loggers. Many of the trees that have been taken out were beginning to rot on the inside and would have fallen soon anyway.
I hope that you may see some of these improvements on your next visit, if not please feel free to seek me out directly.
Mary
Atlantic Beach, FL
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Recently went with family to the ranch. The ranch cabin was clean but old with old furniture. Bathroom could use some updating. I was surprised that the staff wasn't friendly and the owner never did come around during dinners to meet or talk with anyone. The food was ok but during their "family nights" it was a little skimpy -- they served fried tilapia fish -- one of the worst fishes health-wise you can eat -- one night and a homemade pie which they didn't even have enough to serve all the guests. For the price, we expected more. There is someone from the horseback riding stable that comes every morning at 8:30 to sign up those interested in riding ($55 per hr) and this was enjoyable -- kids loved to ride on the mountain trails and were able to ride two of the days we were there. We were there for three nights and when we arrived in the afternoon, the horseback was filled up with no room for the kids to ride that day. The grounds of the ranch are beautiful with great views. It's basically a place to rest, hike, and ride horses. No spa and not much in the town of Maggie Valley. Kids did enjoy their stay.

Room Tip: There are a few newer updated cabins so you might check these out. Most don't have two rooms...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Linda G
New Bern, NC
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed there for four nights in mid-July and brought our granddaughter with us. Rented one of the ranch cabins with a drop dead view of the mountains. Stayed a fri,sat,sun,mon. The first three nights they had entertainment or an activity, but not on mon nite. We square danced, listened to the wolf man, want on a hay ride, hiked and went horseback riding. From the folks who serve the food to the cleaning staff to all the gals at the horse barn, customer service was excellent. It seemed like old home week as most of the guests knew each other ôr were there for family reunions, we were the new bees. We had picked out our favorite place to eat the first three days and then couldn't sit there as they had reserved the whole room for a reunion. And we were put in another room. We liked the get away so much that we plan on going next year to beat the heat on the coast. One small improvement would be to vary the breakfast menu, four mornings of basically the same thing was a little monotonous , they had, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs every morning and then changed it up with the addition of one of the following: with grits, or pancakes or biscuits or gravy. don't get me wrong the eggs were delicious, just saying. Loved the place, well maintained and well definitely go back. Since its all inclusive so to speak, don't forget to tip those hard working folks who serve you!

Room Tip: Definitely the Ranch cabins, we stayed in the Azalea which is an antique cabin, almost too rustic, f...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Caylinsgranny
Mary C, General Manager at The Cataloochee Ranch, responded to this review, 24 August 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. We love for grandparents like yourself to become heros to their grandchildren by taking them on a special vacation. We look forward to your visit next year if not before.
Mary
#2 of 8 in Maggie Valley
Creekwood Village Resort
Creekwood Village Resort
#7 of 21 in Maggie Valley

Been to The Cataloochee Ranch? Share your experiences!