“Charming and unique”

Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Missouri
“Charming and unique”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Landscaping was lovely and the place has charm. Gentleman at check in was very pleasant and helpful. The pool was clean and a great retreat for the kids, who felt cramped in the smallish room (I'd seen pics and was ok with this). I, too, wish there had been pool towels. When questioning a staff member before our visit, I was told that there had been measures taken to prevent smoke from rising up to the upper porches (I'd read about this issue in prior reviews). Well, these measures are just not working. I couldn't enjoy the tranquility of the neat little porch at all. Couldn't open up the back door to let in cool air when the air conditioner wasn't cooling the room well (it worked, but not well, and did not constitute an emergency after the office had closed). Smoke came in the front door at times, too, as neighbors were smoking out there. I recommend smoking be permitted on the middle rear decks only. Of course, that then prevents us non-smokers from enjoying that space - but we'll compromise to enjoy the rooms and amenities we paid for. The room was very clean and had a nice TV. Pretty laminate floors. Parking was tight for trucks, SUVs, and motorcycle trailers. You can't please everyone. We were satisfied, but unless a new smoking policy is put in place, we are unlikely to return.

Stayed August 2014
caribret, Owner at Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Hi,
Thanks for writing your review. We did add solid ceilings between the screened in porches. Overall it seems to have solved the issue about 90 % of the time. We are meeting with our staff next week discussing our changes and upgrades for 2015. One of the issues will be revisiting this issue.
We hope you do decide to come back. If you do call us directly and we will do our best to make sure there are no smokers in your area.
Jeff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everything was very good but found a used towel from previous guest on back of bathroom door. Loved the quiet private screen porch attached to our room, had the pool to ourselves :-) Forgot item they mailed it COD. Nice place, more updates would be good

• Stayed August 2014
Hi,
We're glad you enjoyed your visit. I apologize about the towel being left in the room. We have followed up with housekeeping on it.
Thanks so much for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.
Western North Carolina
Reviewed 7 August 2014

It’s hard to go against the grain, but having based my decision on choosing the Jonathan Creek Inn on all the stellar reviews, I have to leave my honest opinion.

Loved:

The front desk staff. They were courteous, friendly and welcoming.

The landscaping. The JCI is beautifully landscaped with gorgeous flowers, stone walkways and even a koi pond. Not to mention the lovely hanging ferns all over the place.

The alarm clock. What a cool thing to find an alarm clock with an iphone docking station. Neat!

Didn’t love:

No elevators. This isn’t mentioned on the website (that I could find) and had I known, I would have booked a room on the first floor as my mother is elderly and has trouble navigating stairs.

Pet friendly? This is something I avoid because of allergies. I didn’t see anything about JCI being pet friendly on their website and upon checking into our room I verified in their welcome book that they don’t allow pets. However, a few rooms down from us was a couple with a dog that the hotel staff was aware of. So pet friendly? Not?

Pool towels. There were none. We didn’t realize that until we had navigated the flight of stairs and went all the way across the parking lot to get to the pool. It would have been nice if the hotel staff had given us a heads up about that.

Hair dryer. It didn’t work. Looked pretty old. The reset button looked worn out and wouldn't press back in.

Laminate flooring. For our pool hopping family, it wasn’t practical at all. I kept having to towel dry drips and wet spots so somebody didn’t slip and fall.

Hot tub. I felt it was VERY small. Not exactly something I wanted to crawl into with a bunch of strangers. My sister got it in and said she had to take care with how she was sitting so she didn’t bump knees with the person sitting across from her.

Our room. It didn’t look like the pictures advertised on the website and it wasn’t clean. There was a big cobweb up in one corner. The nightstand and dresser area were noticeably dusty. There was a long strand of hair on the toilet when I first went in. The drywall in the bathroom was patched and spackled. The freezer section of the fridge had a LOT of ice built up and looked like it hadn't been defrosted in a very long time.

No kickboards under the bed. First hotel I’ve ever been to that didn’t have kickboards. We kept having to climb under them to retrieve stuff our kids had “lost”.

Air conditioner. It worked, but it did NOT cool the room. I set the air on high speed at 70 degrees and we left for two hours. We came back and the room was noticeably hot. We lowered the temp and observed. The air would come on full blast for a few minutes, then cut off automatically, even though we had it on high. It did this off and on thing the whole time we were there. It didn’t help that the table was pushed right up against the unit, blocking a portion of the cold air that did come out.

Observations:

Atmosphere. Lot’s of people sitting around in rocking chairs and around the property chatting, smoking and drinking. Not a lot of privacy.

No key cards here. We got two old fashioned sets of keys with our room number on them.

No breakfast.

Parking is tight. We went out for supper and came back to (luckily) nab the very last space available in the lot.

YMMV but based on the reviews here at TA, this place just wasn't what I expected.

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room if you have trouble climbing stairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank WideRuled
caribret, Owner at Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi,
I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. We do appreciate you
staying with us and giving us a try. We believe we have a wonderful place and staff,
but if someone is expecting a five diamond luxury hotel we are not it. Both my partner and I owned and ran many different franchise hotels over the years and we bought this so we didn't have to be a typical hotel. We wanted a place with character, charm and a special family run atmosphere with a staff that cares and loves taking care of our guests.
We can't always meet every persons expectations but I believe we meet most peoples, especially those who aren't looking for a cookie cutter franchise type product.
We hope you have a good summer and thanks for writing your review.
Owner
Palm Coast, Florida
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Riding on the motorcycle all day through the curves and hills of the Smokey Mountains can cause things to tighten up a bit. If you ride, you're hearing me. After riding from St Augustine, Florida through Roswell, Georgia and up through the mountains to Maggie Valley, you can only imagine how fantastic it felt to climb into a hot tub right in the room where we would be sleeping. Plenty of towels, plenty of hot water, king sized bed and plenty of room space. The hot tub will fit you and your ol lady together, no matter how big you are. TV was great, bathroom has a fan, and there are chairs to sit on in front of the room door outside. Didn't need it, but there was even a fake fireplace in there that generates heat if wanted. I heard nothing, so it is plenty quiet. The parking lot is good, so don't really have to worry about the bikes. It was around $120.00 a night, which is more than I spend when I'm alone, if I even sleep in a room, but when the ol lady is with me I splurge a little. This is a great place to hang out and relax and you only need walk across the street for a great breakfast at a place called Joey's Pancake House.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi,
Glad we were able to help you unwind from the long ride in one of our hot tub rooms!
Thanks for taking the time to write a review and you know you have a new home when you
ride this way again.
Have an awesome summer!
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I stayed at the Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas after stopping through Maggie Valley to see the Wheels Through Time Museum. This hotel provided the best bang for my buck on the 6 hotels I stayed at going East and West on my Motorcycle Trip.

I had a room off the creek, near the pool. King Size bed and a Jacuzzi Tub (which I really didn't care about). I booked my stay only a couple of nights prior, so I was happy to find a clean, comfortable room.

The amenities of the room were great. Large bed, comfortable chair, large armoire, desk, refrigerator, etc. The counters were either granite, or a granite looking material. All the bed coverings were clean, the bed was comfortable, and they had a variety of pillow firmnesses.

The bathroom was small, but it had a functioning toilet and shower - all I needed. This was the only room that looked like it needed a couple of window dressing items taken care of (paint/caulk). The heat portion of the fan did not operate, but was not needed.

The only complaint I had about the room was that I could hear the people walking above me. Wasn't a big deal, but for a light sleeper it may be an issue.

There is plenty of parking, a/c has a thermostat setting for temperature, and the back of the property on the creek is beautiful. The smokers seem to like to hang here was the only draw back.

I wish I would of booked one of the screened in porch rooms by the creek. I will do that next time through, as I would stay here again. There are mosquitos, and that is why this type of room would be nice.

Realize that Maggie Valley is a huge motorcycle destination, but I find this type of crowd to be friendlier than others I encounter. It doesn't matter which hotel you stay at in town, you are going to hear Harley's coming and going.

There is a great Breakfast Place right across the street. Considering what I paid for breakfast, I came out ahead on the rate at the hotel and purchasing my own food, vs. getting the same free breakfast the chains are doing a poor job of.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank DeepBlueDives
Thanks for your review. We're very glad you enjoyed your stay.
Hope to see you again soon!
Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel is located on Soco Road in Maggie Valley NC. Driving in the area is reminiscent of Rt 66 in the 50s. On the plus side, the staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. The views were also spectacular, we especially liked the creek that runs behind the property. What kept me from giving the property 5 stars: linens had an odor - somewhat excusable since it is very humid this time of year. The switch-controlled light at the entrance must have been broken, as I had to stumble in the dark until I could reach the table lamp next to the bed. With 2 queens the room was already tight, but a round table at the front of the room made it even worse, and blocked AC air flow. Although there is no breakfast served, the rooms have coffee makers and there is coffee and tea in the office. Joey's restaurant is across the street and seems to do a brisk breakfast business, but we didn't try it. Overall our stay was peasant.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
caribret, Owner at Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
We appreciate your comments. Maggie Valley is kind of stuck in the sixties and seventies. To a lot of our guests it makes it kind of special and sort of stuck in time. We constantly try and upgrade the rooms, however the one thing I can't do is make them larger. When the hotel was first built it had two double beds instead of two queens. Over the years we went to all queens and kings because most of our guests preferred sleeping on the larger beds. It does tighten the rooms up a little. The one way we made everything larger was adding thousands of feet of decks and porches. The outside space is really special in our minds and we try to capitalize on it every way we can.
Sorry about the light switch. once in a while someone will unplug something and move replug the lamp in another outlet.
We sure hope you will come back again and enjoy the beauty of Maggie Valley.
owner
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A friend and I stayed here with our two children, both under 2, it was a great place! There is a play ground area, that is completely fenced in, a heated indoor pool, plus a creek that the kids can wade in! Perfect for families! The hotel was wonderful with hard wood floors, and clean rooms. I love the nature area, it had a deck and chairs to enjoy the outdoors and the creek. The staff was wonderful and friendly, it was very relaxing and amazing with kids!

I really want to go back and book a room with a screened in porch, and go with my husband!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer,
We're glad you got to enjoy our place with your children. We hope you get your husband to come so you can enjoy one of our Screened In Porch rooms or maybe leave the kids at home and get a Hot Tub room. Although in all honesty I think the kids love them even more then the adults do at times.
Thanks for writing a review. Have a great summer!
owner
The Clarketon Motel
The Clarketon Motel
#13 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn

Been to Jonathan Creek Inn and Villas? Share your experiences!