“A Happy Surprise!”

Mountaineer Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 43 Restaurants in Maggie Valley
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Description: Home of the Million Dollar View you can't find a better place to dine with a Mountain View West of Asheville! We are open 7 days a week serving breakfast, lunch, & dinner! We serve everything from Rainbow Trout to Prime Rib to Meatloaf using Grandma's recipes of course! Stop by and see us today!
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My boyfriend and I have ridden to Maggie Valley on the motorcycle many, many times . When entering Maggie Valley - you pass the Mountaineer Restaurant on the left-hand side of the road...and like many others have passed right by. On Memorial Day weekend, when we passed we noticed a number of motorcycles and people out on the deck. (BTW...The deck is big and has a great view!) When deciding where to eat that night, we decided to go back. We were the last customers for dinner that evening and sat outside on the deck. Our waitress was extremely friendly and made recommendations. I had the catfish blackened and my BF had the BBQ meal. Both were outstanding. Dennis, the manager came out and chatted with us awhile and even offered us a 10% off card for breakfast - which we came back for. They were packed, but once again, the view and meal was wonderful!

A great find in Maggie Valley - most restaurants are little mom/pop places with just "ok" food. This food was fresh and was delicious!

In the summer he will have music on the deck as well! Don't pass this one by!
PJS

1  Thank PJ S

Reviewed 24 October 2013

But for some good reviews, we would have never thought to stop here. Most of the once bustling, delightfully eccentric road side shops, souvenir and fruit stands and restaurants that first greeted the traveler descending from the Parkway to Maggie, are mostly now, sadly; silent and decaying.
We had great meals. I had the prime rib a large portion at a surprisingly low price. Ms Hobbit had the trout and enjoyed it as well. Joanna and the "girls" are exceptionally friendly. The famous view, of course, and a good screened porch for warmer days. Stop in for a great meal, reasonably priced, and help these ladies breath new life into this strip of highway.

2  Thank Hobbits2nfro
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Friendly, Reasonable, and delicious. My family and I have eaten there many times since 1988 as we go there when we are camping in the Mountains.

1  Thank Roberta O
Reviewed 18 September 2013

wife and myself do a lot of traveling.(we just love a good adventure!)exploring new areas and new things is what our free time is all about. so just to give you an inkling of how great these people along with the food ,great restaurant and cabins are.we have since meeting joanne and company have been back there 3 times since our first visit 2 months ago.which yes means canceling new adventures in exchange for a weekend at the mountaineer.but would rather be here than on a cruise and I mean it they are so nice and every promise down to a good nights sleep is never let down.good stuff I tell ya!! check 'em out you will be pleasantly surprised .

1  Thank Frank B
Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

I have seen this place for years and never stopped. We rode by this trip and I decided as long as it has been there, it must have something going for it, so we stopped for dinner. The inside was really home style and comfortable and very clean. The food was excellent! If you like "real" cooking, this is your place! If you are looking for upscale keep going because you will probably write a bad review and Joanne doesn't deserve that. We will certainly stop by again!