“Perfect”
Review of Smoky Falls Lodge

Smoky Falls Lodge
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We have visited Maggie Valley many times in the past and I have always wanted to stay here, and this time we finally were able to. It was the perfect cross between a cabin and a hotel for us and Lydia Ann was as cordial as they come.....I dug out a fire pit out back to make smores that evening, and she made hot chocolate for our kids and gave me a beer and my wife a glass of wine. It is not as clean as a hotel, but it's by no means as dirty as some hotels I have stayed in. There were a lot of bikers while we stayed, but they were all very friendly, and not once did I notice any loud bikes in the morning (of course I get up between 5-6, so that helps). I can't say enough good things about the place, and I highly recommend it. We'll definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We tried this place because it advertised the creek. It was a pretty place, but needs some loving care. It has access to the creek which is wonderful but is not creek front. It has lots of pretty flowers and grounds. We really loved the deck and rocking chairs. We were between 2 groups of bikers which were rather loud and disruptive, but we managed. It does have the feel of cabins but more convenient. The management was almost rude on check in, and then closed at 5 p.m. which seemed strange. Lots of notes regarding "Do Not..." , etc. The grill section was closed during our stay so I have no comment on it. I would try another place and not stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose room not close to bikers. No pool here.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann G
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here 3 nights for the Popcorn Sutton Jam (Aug. 1-4). First, our room was upgraded to a king bed without us even asking. Room was decorated just like home for us. Clean and comfortable. The owners have put a lot into this place. The gazebo out front made a nice gathering place for all that were in our group after the Jam each night. Covered motorcycle parking area also.
The only drawback was a very lukewarm shower on check out day. The front desk explained that the hot water tank was only 500 gallons and if everyone is using it at the same time, it does go fast. Recommend taking your shower very early or late night. Did not have a problem the other two day/nights.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank flatbroke61
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We like to stay in Maggie Valley on our way to and from North Carolina so we can eat at Joey's Pancake House. On this trip, we decided to try Smoky Falls Lodge. It was a nice place to stay. Room were small, but well arranged to have two chairs, small refrigerator, TV, 2 double beds. The bathroom was tiled very clean. We ate at the restaurant that evening. Very good. Will stay again when we pass through.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deborah M
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I've stayed at the Smoky Falls Lodge on a number of occasions. They always give me a returning guest discount and are always friendly. On my last stay, my boyfriend and I ate at the restaurant for the first time. We sat at the bar and were surprised to find that our bartender was actually the owner. He was extremely nice and we really enjoyed both the conversation and his dinner suggestions. We had the black and blue burger and it was OUT OF THIS WORLD….easily the best we’ve ever eaten. Not sure what the other reviewers are talking about….the rooms are immaculate. Granted this isn’t a 5 star hotel but you’re also not paying for a 5 star hotel. You get the cabin feel with the convenience of being located in town close to several attractions.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sioux4ever
Reviewed 27 March 2013

My friend and I booked a room for 3 nights and had to check out after the first night due to moldy, chemical smell that kept us awake and effect our breathing. This was on a Monday and the lobby was locked as no one was working then. We spent a couple of hours trying to find someone to talk with to cancel the remaining nights. When we did finally get someone on the phone we were then running late for an appointment and didn't have time to remove our luggage. We asked if we could leave it until our appointment was finished and were told it would be fine. Later we discovered we were charged for that whole day because we left our luggage past 11 a.m. The people we talked with had a very abrupt and unpleasant attitude. There was only one other car parked there the night we stayed and yet we were told other people were checking in that day who needed that room. ????? We had it booked for 3 days....how could they have booked someone else not knowing in advance we would have to leave? We were charged for the two days we canceled even though the smell in the room kept us awake and caused a serious health problem. The rates were very high with nothing to merit it. The beds were very squeaky and bad as well. We ended up at the Comfort Inn where the rates were $25 less, rooms very nice and the staff visible and really pleasant. I definitely would not recommend this lodge to anyone. The Maggie Valley Creekside Inn is terrific and the rates a lot cheaper as I have stayed there previously. Unfortunately, they close during the time we were there due to the low season which is why we tried the lodge. If you want a really comfort place in Maggie Valley then go to the Creekside Inn or the Comfort Inn. Both very clean, pleasant, reasonable rates and the people are terrific.

Room Tip: Go to Maggie Valley Creekside Inn or the Comfort Inn. Great rooms, great people, great beds and no...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank ALEE C
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed there with a group of friends, we had 5 rooms, in July, and it was a horrible hotel. The rooms were ok, but the outside looked like it hasn't been kept up with since it was built. The main office is NOT open on Mondays. We watched a couple try to check in, and the door was not open, and they asked us, since we were sitting outside, but we did not know what to tell them. They left, but were not happy. We chose that place because we wanted to be in the smoky mountains. When we arrived, we noticed that several things in town, including the "Wheels thru time Museum" was only open a few days a week. Be careful which days you go, unless you want to go to get away from everything. The town folds up its sidewalks around 7:00 p.m. After dinner, we all decided to sit outside on the rocking chairs they provided and enjoy the fresh air, but were given dirty looks by several people in other rooms. This motel only has about 15-20 rooms. Apparently the people were not friendly or did not like the idea of us being friendly. At 9:00 p.m., we were even asked to keep it down because we were laughing to much. We invited the gentleman out to join us, and his reply was "I would like to, but I am afraid I would get in trouble with my wife." So as a courtesy to him, we all went back to our rooms. We had a great time driving through the smoky mountains, but would never stay at that motel again. The best place about that town was a restaurant called Joey's. Great breakfast every morning with great people.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends