“Needs new management(owner)”

Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Lyman, South Carolina
“Needs new management(owner)”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I have been staying at Smokey Falls Lodge for some time. We always enjoy staying here during the summer and winter. We like the rooms and the grounds. We had to get a "big" room this time as the smaller rooms were not available. We stayed 2 nights. The owner checked us in...she never says hello, how are you, glad you chose my motel, etc. She has no personality whatsoever. My husband carries on all the time with everybody and eventually gets a person to smile or say something....NOT HER. The only good thing she did was give us 20.00 off because we stay there so often. Thank you for that but have a little rapport with your customers. People like that and will definitely come back. Also, the big room air conditioner does not keep the room cool. Our suggestion is a ceiling fan. Would make a big difference.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Leslie B
SmokyFallsLodge1, Owner at Smoky Falls Lodge, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
As the owner of Smoky Falls Lodge I was upset to read this review. I apologize for the way that you were treated when you checked in. We have been in business for 10 years now, we handle thousands of guests throughout the summer months and strive to provide our guests with a positive lodging experience each and every time they visit Maggie Valley. We know we cannot give every guest the best check in experience and apologize for this situation, everyone has an off day. Thank you for leaving this review, we look over every single one that we receive and take them all into consideration, we learn from both positive and negative feedback. We hope that in the future you consider Smoky Falls Lodge for your accommodations.

Lydia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We made reservations over the phone as you can't do it on line. I did make several inquiries via email, and they got back to me right away, but you still have to call. I got a King room, not the BIG room, and was June 8 and 9th. $79.00 per night for a multi-night discount. That is what I was trying to find out all along so that is why I wanted to share. As we drove through town I was Very excited that this was the place that we were going to be staying at. It was so pretty and had that Smokey mountain appeal that I was looking for. You could walk to a lot of places and was right on the creek. The BED was SUPER!!!!! Cute Cute Cute!
Moonshine grill..was ok, a little disappointed but would have tried it again if our stay was longer. Note to visitors a lot of the restaurants are closed on Mondays(?) Wheels through time was awesome!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Summersun2014
Wallburg, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We didn't stay overnight here however, we ate at the Moonshine Grill. We had moonshine chicken and a reuben sandwich. The food was great and we loved the dining area. We are planning to have our wedding reception here in April.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan G
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I did not stay at the Smokey Lodge, but I did make sure I ate at their restaurant, the Moonshine Grille. I got our food to go and the food was fantastic! We got the ribs which were fall off the bone good and an appetizer combo and some cheese sticks. Best cheese sticks ever! They were make with spicy cheese and sooo yummy! You could taste the wood smoked flavor in the ribs and it was delicious!! The man that got my order was very nice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel H
Reviewed 4 December 2013

The Smokey Falls Lodge was a great find for us. We had looked at another place we had read the reviews on...and was a little disappointed. So, we went on down the road and stumped upon this lodge...yea! Our room was clean and cute. The fireplace gave it a very cozy touch. The room and bathroom were very clean and in great repair. The bed was very comfy with a memory foam topper on it. There was a large deck with rockers out back by the creek and 2 rockers outside the front door. There was a restaurant in the lodge, "The Moonshine Grill" that was very tasty and we would highly recommended as well. We were just there for the night, but the lodge was motorcycle friendly, having covered parking for them as well. It had a large covered deck area with tables and rockers out front to accommodate a large group...A very nice place with nice people who even gave us a discounted room rate. I would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one with a fireplace...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 842tammyb
Charleston, SC
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed two nights here recently and enjoyed it. It was a quiet time of year so not much going on in the area, but the hotel was very nice. It had a very cabin-like feel and could have that "lodge-feel" that I was looking for had it been a little colder. Weather ended up warming up while we were there, but the lobby seemed equipped to have that rustic, mountain lodge feel had it been cold outside. We splurged and got the big room, 1 of 2 on the site, and it was great! It had a very nice rock fireplace with a flat screen TV, a nice seating area, dining area w/ fridge, microwave and coffee maker, 3 very comfy beds, and a bathroom. The beds were huge and they were very comfortable!! We ate onsite both nights we were there b/c the food was just that good! It was terrific! Everything we had was top-notch. The Moonshine Grill is in the hotel and anything you have from the free port wine cheese appetizer to the steak to the shrimp and grits, french onion soup, etc.... it was all fantastic!! I highly recommend this restaurant if you stay here or in the area. The hotel was very cozy and had a very laid back vibe. This hotel was great for this area. Most folks go to Maggie Valley for relaxation and the laid-back style and that's what you get here. There's a nice deck out back by the creek for hanging out and another nice area out front. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We enjoyed our stay very much. I do think the rate was a little high for the off-season, but this was still less than staying over in Asheville area.

Room Tip: We got the big room with three beds and the big rock fireplace. it was very roomy if you have severa...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Knoxville,TN
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Our stay at the Smoky Falls Lodge there was fair. The beds squeaked and the were bugs in the bathroom. I was somewhat disappointed with Smoky Falls. It looks like a nice place but needs a little Tender Loving Care.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple