“Disappointed”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for Mother's Day weekend as a little getaway with my daughter so she could swim. The hotel is not hard to find and is in the middle of Maggie Valley. The grounds are pretty and seem well maintained. Check-in was easy enough although the phone was ringing off the hook. There were renovations going on and we were instructed to get to our room through the door the builders were obviously also using. There's no elevator at this hotel. We heard no noise from construction, aside from passing rooms of workers hanging out with their doors opened and music going.

I believe our room had been renovated already. It appeared freshly painted and the bathroom had new tile floors and granite counters. The room didn't appear dirty but there was powdery debris (dry wall dust?) in the corners and a lot in the closet. Which of course makes you wonder how clean the room actually is in terms of germs you can't see. The bathroom was spotless however. The beds were firm but comfortable though there was a hole in the bed spread. The pillows were soft but so small they were about square rather than standard sized. We had two queen beds, a table, chair, dresser, and functioning albeit old microwave and mini fridge. The room was very spacious for a family and as we wound up in it napping or watching tv almost the whole trip that was a silver lining at least.

The breakfast area is fairly small - only five tables - so prepare to wait for one or eat in your room. It was very clean though and kept up well. There were plenty of hot options including make your own blueberry waffles, sausage gravy biscuits every bit as good as a fast food joint, and breads to toast. Small detail but I like how the cold items such as butter and cream cheese were kept in a fridge instead of just sitting on the counter during breakfast. I have to say the breakfast experience was the highlight of our stay here. My husband usually skips hotel breakfasts and goes out to eat but he ate here both mornings.

My biggest disappointment lies in the pool area. Firstly it needs attention. The paint/sealer is peeling off the hot tub in several places and the safety rail is very loose. There was a beer bottle cap on the floor during our whole stay. The reason we chose this hotel was because it touted a heated indoor pool. While the hot tub was very hot, this pool water is every bit as cold as the water that comes from my garden hose at home. Pool water shouldn't be as warm as a hot tub or even a bath, but it should have some heated water in it. This one does not. I felt every outlet where the water was being circulated in and none of them were pouring warm water into the pool. I have been to many hotels with heated pools and never encountered one this cold. In fact, I have swam in indoor/outdoor pools with no heat that were about the same temp. My husband went to the front to report the pool being so cold, thinking maybe it was broken, and a man with the check-in woman (manager?) quickly responded "we heat it to state standards". Well a) that's a terrible response. You aren't even going to pretend to go check to see if it's broken? And b) who cares what state standards are. The state isn't paying the nightly rates at your hotel, your guests are. His attitude convinced me the pool isn't heated to any degree of noticeable warmth, he already knows it, and doesn't care anything about it.

The cold pool practically ruined our trip. My daughter just stood there and looked at the pool she couldn't get in. This was my Mother's Day gift and was supposed to be a fun family weekend, 2.5 hours from home. But because of not being able to swim we had to drive around for two days in the rain (no fault of the hotel of course) trying to find something to do around Maggie Valley, which at this time of year is about non-existent. I would not stay at this hotel again and based on that desk staffer's lack of concern for us getting what we paid for I would not recommend it to others either. There are far too many other options in MV, Waynesville, and Cherokee to bother with it. Even as a Choice member with a discount I paid more for this Comfort Inn than another hotel in town that has an actual heated pool, which was unfortunately booked when I made reservations. And since I had to prepay to get that discount we were stuck.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CottonLily
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I don't like staying in the Cherokee area but Maggie Valley was a short drive to the casino. A clean, friendly hotel. Nice amenities including a flat screen TV and refrigerator and very quiet. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor with pool view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank kythoro
Reviewed 6 April 2014

The staff were very friendly, exceptionally so. They were renovating while I was there, but I was not inconvenienced by this in any way. I commend them and their contractor for this.

The room appeared to have been one of the recently renovated rooms. It was immaculate, not just merely clean. The bed was comfortable. The motel was quiet. I dug their light switches.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank advocon
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Stayed in the king suite which was a large suite with kitchen living room and a bedroom with a large hot tub. Very clean and spacious. Breakfast was good and front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Only complaint no elevator.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank danonatt
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed at Maggie Valley, just because we liked the name. It was well worth the trip. I don't think that they get many English people there and we were made really welcome. Even though it was the off-season, the indoor swimming pool was available. The hotel was having some refurbishment, but you wouldn't really know about it, if it weren't for the signs apologising for the work.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank BeenAroundTheWorld0
Reviewed 27 March 2014

This was a nice place to stay during our February ski trip. The front desk was extremely hospitable, accommodating, and informative of things to do, places to eat.
Our room was kept clean and tidy. When we arrived, it was very clean.
Breakfast was more than expected, sausage, biscuits, gravy, grits, pastries, etc.
The hot tub was nice and toasty, but the indoor pool was a bit chilly, it was not functioning during our stay. I was a bit disappointed in this but we stayed plenty warm in and out of the hot tub. They apologized for our inconvenience and were trying to fix the problem.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Missyheart2travel
Clyde27, Customer Response agent at Comfort Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you liked about our hotel and for letting us know what we need to improve on.
Hope you will join us again in the future.

sincerely,

Marie Allen
Customer Response agent

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is an older Comfort Inn property, some aspects of the room were a bit worn, however, there is construction ongoing on the first floor so perhaps hotel is in process of making updates. That being said, the service was outstanding. We arrived late on a Friday night and the clerk was very welcoming. The room was clean even if a bit tired. Went to the indoor pool/whirlpool. Enjoyed the whirlpool but the swimming pool was too cold to swim in (though staff said it is heated to 'state requirements.' Breakfast was typical Comfort Inn - and enjoyed it except for another guest - mom with two kids who thought it was a good idea to get their breakfast and eat in bare feet in the common area. Would come back as it is a good value for the price and convenient location between Cherokee and Cullowhee (Western Carolina).

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank momof3girlsNC

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. We will continue to try to give the best service we can. Hope you come join us again in the future.

sincerely,

Four Seasons Inn
Four Seasons Inn
#13 of 25 in Maggie Valley
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!