“Fair, at best.”
Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #4 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Mixed reviews for this hotel. Rooms appear newly renovated and were clean. Someone had unplugged our fridge (one of the reasons we stayed here) and it defrosted so it was no use. No tissues in the room which to me shows a lack of the personal touch. The hotel itself is old and thats hard to hide. Walls and floors are thin and transmit all noise and some of the common areas were in disrepair and appeared well worn. Staff was nice but didn't know if there was food at the ski lodge..? Anyway, probably won't stay there again and the best I can say is it wasn't terrible.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 January 2009

Read bad reviews. However it was just me and my son and both of us are fine in 5 star or no star. Arrived at the hotel not knowing what to expect. Front desk was fabulous. Lady at desk had everything ready and really made us feel at home. Got to our room everything was clean, put on our swim trunks and went to the pool. No towels when we got there but soon after same lady was bringing in a fresh batch. Son forgot his toothbrush he went to the front desk and came back with one with two tubes of toothpaste. Breakfast in the morning was fine and well stocked (not to mention Free). I really get the feeling most people want to pay 2 star prices and get 5 star hotels.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 1 June 2008

Don't stay in Room 135. It is next to the main road, and you can hear the road noise all night long.

But that wasn't the big problem. I had noisy people next to me blaring the tv. And they didn’t turn it off. TV was on all night long. And during the day, a “do not disturb” sign was posted on their door. I told the front desk the next morning. I said to move me or do something. The front desk said they would talk to them. Night 2 - no sleep. TV blaring all night long. Called the front desk as 12:30 am. They knocked, then pounded on the door so they would hear it. The tv noise went down, then quickly was loud again. Next morning, the front desk said they checked out. I told them 2 nights of non-sleep, and I wish to be compensated, they said they would. And the 3rd night, I had the noisy road in my room 135.

When I checked out, they did compensate me - a whole $25 for 2 nights of non-sleep. And no manager to talk to when I said this was unacceptable. I called the main company and was told only a formal complaint would be filed, which I did. After I got home, received a company generic letter saying basically they are sorry, cannot help, independently owned, and they will forward complaint to the hotel directly. Haven’t received anything from them.

Go to the next town where there is a Hampton Inn. And for me, the next night, I was in a different town at a Fairfield Inn, what a difference. Pay a little more, it is worth it.

Becky in Maryland

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Becky4500
Reviewed 30 March 2008

We booked our room over the phone. We spoke directly to the front desk staff. However, upon arrival we were informed that there was a mistake made. (Long story) We only stayed because they agreed to follow through with our booking and at the rate discussed over the phone.
The place was a mess. The whole 2nd floor was gutted and contractors were everywhere, even hanging around the doors smoking.
We checked out early due to bad weather but still paid for the 2nd night as we had booked it in advance. They could not give us a receipt at checkout, but promised to mail us one asap. WE NEVER RECEIVED ONE.
When our credit card bill arrived we discovered why, they over charged us. IT took over a month of contact with the business while trying to resolve this with them directly, but after NO contact from the Manager as promised, we finally were forced to dispute the charge with the credit card company.
We would not recommend this hotel to anyone. It was old, and the staff were not very polite at all, and they do not keep their word.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank orangenkitty
Reviewed 24 March 2008

I have stayed at this hotel before and never had any problems but tonight was a different story. I arrived and found that the wireless internet connection was down-kind of a big deal since I was there for work and needed to work. The two teenage girls in the lobby in jeans and t-shirts who were apparently working there said they thought it might be turned back on the next day sometime. They said they had a deal with the Best Western down the street that was allowing them to use their wireless connection. I thought that meant I could pick it up in my room and was impressed with the strength of the signal. Then they told me I would have to drive over a mile down the road and sit in their lobby to use the connection. Again, inconvenient if you are trying to work.

I understand, things happen and there is probably nothing they could have done about the internet connection but the desk clerk was rude and offered no apologies for the inconvenience. I called a friend and had her check online to see what the Best Western was like and decided I would just stay there if they had a wireless connection. Once the clerk realized that I was going to change hotels for an internet connection she informed me that they also owned the Best Western and could just transfer my reservation. In my experience Best Westerns are not as 'nice' as Comfort Inns so I asked what the rate difference was. She said it was the same and that the Best Western was typically more expensive that the Comfort Inn and I would be getting a deal.

At that exact same moment, the friend I had on the phone told me that the rate online for the Best Western was about $10/night cheaper than the Comfort Inn. I understand $10 isn't a big difference but, like I said, Best Westerns are not as nice as Comfort Inn and I was not about to pay the same rate for a less nice hotel. She continued to insist that the rates were the same until I asked her to call the Best Western so I could inquire about the rates. The clerk there told me the same price that was listed online- $10 cheaper- and then the Comfort Inn clerk agreed to transfer the reservation for the cheaper rate.

The entire time the clerk was rude and kept making faces at her friend who was playing on the computer. She had absolutely no customer service skills and did not offer anything to help except to transfer my reservation for a higher rate to a less nice hotel. I will probably end up staying at the Comfort Inn again because there isn't much else in Maggie Valley but I may turn around and walk out if the same desk clerk is there.

To be fair- during my previous stay a dark haired woman was working behind the desk and she was very friendly and helpful. The owner should fire the blonde teenager and hire someone who actually cares about their job and the image that they project about their hotel chain.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Very disappointed. Front Desk clerks were very rude. Only 1 drink machine was working, either they were out of order or empty. Room was ok. Beds were uncomfortable and the pillows were very small. The only good thing was the indoor heated pool. I would not recommend this place just for the rude front desk clerks.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 February 2008

The room was satisfactory, the breakfast was fine, but not very well staffed so the breakfast room was really messy and everything at run out by the end of the breakfast service. The room was clean enough - and the location was close to Cataloochee Mountain.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
Four Seasons Inn
#12 of 25 in Maggie Valley
3 mi away
Maggie Valley Inn and Conference Center

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!