“Shabby-chic comfortable”

Ranked #25 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Charlotte, NC
“Shabby-chic comfortable”
Reviewed 16 July 2009

We stayed in a cabin last year and this year. The bathroom had been updated this year, and the general atmosphere was fine. We did not cook in the kitchen, but found the spacious area for relaxing and dining to be comfortable. The deck was nice, with the stream right beyond. Across the stream is the museum Wheels Through Time, which was on our agenda and interesting for motorcycle-watching. We had a great time, and it's definitely what you make it.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Atlanta
Reviewed 18 June 2009

We also stayed here because they accepted pets for a "small fee", yeah right! $20 per night tacked on to the overpriced rate of $89.00. The grounds are nice, but that's it! This is an old motel built in the 50's that has little invested into it by the owners. The sink in the bathroom was clogged, lightbulbs were out. I called, and nothing was done about it. Also, we were getting dressed when the maids (owners) came and wouldn't let them in the room. We came back later in the day, and "NO" cleaning or towels. I called the office and was told if you want clean towels you can come & get them.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Skyeber7

Travellers are raving about these Maggie Valley hotels

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Office never open. Lights went out and nowhere to get candles.
Cover to bathroom plumbing falling off and yuk falling into room. Toilet overflowed at 2AM. Truly run down place and no one else was stupid enough to stay here except us. Paid for 2 nights but could only stand one. There is anolther pet friendly motel in Maggie Valley and it is 200% better and much cheaper.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — bathroom--had been flooded many times--floor and door ruined
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Grandma2008Florida
South Carolina
Reviewed 10 October 2008

This hotel was absolutely the greatest!!! The staff were exceptional and the atmosphere was just down right charming.

The hotel has a area for families to have a cook out and whether you are with a group or alone, you feel a part of this place. You can make yourself at home. I was a lone female traveler, to spend a week, and I felt very safe and secure.

It was very clean and well kept up. My room was nice and perfect sized. The shower was big and had great water pressure and the bathroom was quite large. Everything I needed was accessible to me. And if there was something I wanted, the staff was willing to help me in any way they could, to locate it.

I would recommend it to anyone, and I will to everyone. This is a wonderful, charming, place to spend a vacation or holiday. By yourself or with your entire family, including your faithful pet.

• Liked — The cleaniness and size of the room.
  • Disliked — I honestly had no dislikes.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 9 October 2008

We wanted a short vacation with our little dog and should have known that pet friendly properties can really be bad.
This place had mixed reviews so we booked one of their cabins.
What a mistake! The grounds are beautiful, but that's where it ends. The cabin was so outdated that it was frightful, old harvest gold oven & a microwave from maybe 1980. The grime on most surfaces was ground in, I tried to clean some but that really didn't help. The carpet was stained,light fixtures broken and no battery in the smoke detector. Also no toilet paper holder.
The sheets were clean, the towels shabby and the mattress was newish but so hard that I couldn't sleep.
They did offer to move us, but I really did not see the point and instead of staying 2 nights, we stayed 1 and went on home.

• Liked — the views and grounds
  • Disliked — dirty and old
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
SUMMERVILLE, SC
Reviewed 12 August 2008

I had reservations at the Jonathan Creek Inn, but found out they didn't take pets. Went to a chain hotel who also didn't take pets and they recommended the Meadowlark, bragging about the large playground. (There is no playground, just a field and a covered area.) I was traveling alone with my children and this sounded like a great idea especially since they had a pool. When i got there the lobby smelt of smoke, which i can deal with as long as a non smoking room was available. The desk person was very sweet, offering me to see the rooms that were available. However she overcharged me by 40 dollars. I used a credit card and later was reimbursed in cash. The room was marginal at best. There was no alarm clock and the refrigerator did not cool adequately. I called twice about the fridge and no one ever came as they promised. Me and the kids went to the pool and saw a young man there hanging out with what looked to be his family. Later that nite, we went to restaurant across the street, (j. Arthurs, which was great). Only when we returned to the room that evening after dinner and a drive did someone come and look at the fridge. It was the guy who was lounging at the pool earlier.The jacuzzii did not work completely. At nite, my windows did not lock and the only lock on the door is on the knob, nothing that could be used from inside only. When i called to say i felt unsafe with the windows unsecured and the lock, i left a message and no one addressed this problem until 2 pm the next day. Same guy from the pool who now was obviously irritated at me. Lobby was too smokey for my taste. Too many options in Maggie Valley, keep driving.

• Stayed August 2008
2 Thank TEENUT
Aiken SC
Reviewed 14 June 2008

The line about the $50 is definitely not true during the summer. All they had when we arrived was a king with a jacuzzi that was $109. We called ahead and they wanted $89 for a room with a queen. We drove on down to the Ramada and got a nice, new, fresh room with friendly service for about the same price as they wanted for their obviously old out of dated one. I can't believe they're rated #4. Could be that they gotten so much publicity through Trip Advisor that they figured they could hike up their rates.

Stayed June 2008