“Check before you book!”

Quality Inn & Suites Maggie Valley - Cherokee Area
Ranked #18 of 25 Hotels in Maggie Valley
Reviewed 29 June 2009

My wife & I wanted a reasonably priced hotel close to the Cherokee casino and we have had excellent past experiences with the Microtel chain. We checked in at 3 p.m. and went to the casino. Returned at 11 p.m. and found the parking lot FULL (30+ people!) of twenty something boys sitting in the parking lot drinking and blocking the back of the lot at the entrance such that you could not drive around. They were having some kind of tricked out car show in the parking lot (what the heck is that about?). The clerk called the police TWICE to get them removed, but then told the police as long as they are not doing anything illegal then they could stay?!? We got a refund only after my wife had the clerk call the manager and we refused to stay because we really didn't use the room yet. No vacancy at other hotels - we drove to Morganton and stayed there on the way back home. Make sure you CALL FIRST and ask if they are letting people have some kind of event in their parking lot so you don't go through this!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 January 2009

I went there with 3 friends, stayed one night. The room reservation was made online with my credit card. When we left, we paid in cash, splitting the cost for the room.

6 months later, the hotel charged my credit card and asked me to produce a cash receipt to prove that we really had paid for the room.
Who keeps a cash receipt for 6 months?
I have 3 witnesses who were with us when we paid, but that was not enough.

I called the hotel 3 times, tried to talk to the hotel manager. I sent him a letter. He NEVER replied to my letter and never returned my phone calls. Each time I called, I was told: "you just missed him and we don't know when he will be back"
I have never had this experience before and have stayed in MANY hotels.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 October 2007

I had booked this room a few months back and I had read some reviews on another website and thought it was a good choice. After reviewing the pictures and the tour, it looked like a decent place to stay in Maggie Valley. After reviewing the comments on this website, I was a little unsure, but I decided to give it a try. Once i got to the hotel, the desk clerk was very friendly and made us feel very welcome (I went with my husband). We checked in around 200pm and we got to check in. Most hotels don't allow checkin until 3pm, so we were fortunate. The rate was very good for what we paid for. The beds were very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep. The breakfast area was quite bigger than what I expected.Overall, I will place a review on every website I can about this hotel, because it is a nice place to stay and it was beautiful from our room. The fall foilage was very nice this year! WIll return!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank vkp123
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Not bad for the price but walls are very thin. We had 2 of our young children with us and the front desk called and said we were making too much noise. We aren't loud people and it was around 9:30p. We only stayed 1 night and I was ready to go. I can say it was clean. No scenery-right on the main road in Maggie Valley-not on the creekside either. Next trip we rented a small mountain home and were much happier.

• Stayed: June 2004, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 February 2007

This is most definitely not a fit if you want to get a good night's sleep. You can't live for more than 1 night here if you plan to not be bored. In the room, we could hear some obnoxious teens in the next room playing guitar at MIDNIGHT!!!! The room is extremely small. (hint, hint, wink, wink: that is what the name means). We could hear people walking down the hall since the walls are paper thin. Do us all a favor and do not stay here for more than a night.

P.S. 1 positive: the rooms have a really cool mirror effect that makes it look bigger and you HAVE to go in the hot tub! It is so hot you can't believe it. Relax and have a good time in the hot tub!

Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank alphatravel
Reviewed 28 January 2007

The hotel was clean. The room was clean, but the bed was uncomfortable. The person at the front desk was rude. We arrived midweek before the weekend crowd. We arrived a few hours before check-in. Although our room was ready, we were told that if we checked in early, we would be charged an extra $15 for each hour before check-in time. We have stayed at other places in Maggie Valley. Each time, we have received a warm friendly greeting. This time, we felt like we were bothering the staff by staying there.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank WilAtl
Reviewed 19 October 2006

Stayed at the Microtel Maggie Valley Oct 13th - 15th. We enjoyed the suite, which had everything in it that we needed. Unfortunately we forgot our swimsuits or we could have gotten into the indoor pool or hot tub. It got very cold each night of our visit and the warm water would have felt great! The free continental breakfast was your standard fare - bagels, waffles, muffins, bananas. Decent enough - my only complaint is that they ran out of bananas each morning before the breakfast hours were over. In the overall scheme of things, this was very minor!

We had dinner the first night at a nearby Italian restaurant (I don't remember the name but it started with an S). The service was awful and the food wasn't very good either. The second night we ate at Sagebrush steakhouse in Waynesville - completely different eating experience! Very good service and some of the best steaks I have had in a long time! I got the small filet and I could have used my fork to cut it.

As far as sightseeing goes, we went to see the leaves and the elk in Cataloochee Valley and took many, many pictures. We went in the evening (around 4 pm) and there was one bull elk with his small herd peacefully grazing in the meadow. There were about 7 other bull elk scattered across the Valley while we were there.

For Sunday afternoon we had booked an ATV ride in Cullowee, NC with Appalachian ATV Adventures. We found the brochure in the hotel and made phone reservations very easily. We booked the beginners course, but ended up going on the more difficult trails. Although I have ridden motorcycles before, I had never ridden a 4-wheeler. The guides provided excellent instruction and we thoroughly enjoyed the ride! They do take a couple short breaks during your ride to let your thumb relax and then when you get near the top of the mountain you stop for lunch (which is provided). After lunch, they took us down the mountain to see a small waterfall and then we had a pretty challenging ride back to the loading area. As I made the reservations for this ride, I was really looking forward to it - what a pleasant surprise when it completely exceeded my expectations!

I'll probably go back to Maggie Valley in the future - and I'll definitely consider staying at the Microtel again when I do go.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with friends
Best Western Smoky Mountain Inn
The Clarketon Motel
The Clarketon Motel
#11 of 25 in Maggie Valley

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Maggie Valley - Cherokee Area? Share your experiences!