“Horrible-gross”
Review of Sportsman Inn

Sportsman Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Marion
Sportsman Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Marion B&B and Inns
“Horrible-gross”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We came into Marion looking for a place to stay saw sportsman inn and asked to see room walked in and it smelled really bad like they have not cleaned the room at all the carpet looked gross and the bathroom was terrible. We had drove around more for another option and with it being so close to 4th of July we could not find anywhere else so we had to stay there. I went and bought lysol had to argue with the lady to give me extra rags so I could clean the room there was nasty stuff all over the
Walls and I started seeing roaches in the room and then ants everywhere. This is the worse place to stay in the world I would rather pop a tent somewhere the recommend this place to anyone. And get this they don't clean the rooms until you leave no matter how long you stay. They won't give you more towels. It's just gross.

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank harsson

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The sportsman inn is a very good choice for room fare. The attendant in the office was very nice, and she even offered to show us a room before making a commitment to stay. The price was the cheapest I have found in town by almost half. My wife said she wanted to stay at the comfort inn while checking in and the next morning she said that it was the best night of sleep she got for being a hotel bed. I travel through North Carolina often so i know where I'll be staying.

Room Tip: The rooms furthest from the office have very little disturbance from the highway.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeff K
Mingo Junction, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 25 September 2013

we just stayed there this week while on vacation. The owners were very nice and friendly and helpful. the only bad thing was the cable company came to change the cable and then after a couple hours they switched it back so that we could atleast watch tv. But that wasn't their fault they couldn't have been any nicer to us. We would stay there again if we are back in the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alice C
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This motel was recommended to me by a few residents in Marion (including a very nice gas station attendant), in large part due to it being one of few choices in town. The attendant in the shack seemed nice enough and was kind enough to ask if we would like to see a room before paying $40 for the night. We just wanted to rest after a long day instead of heading home ~250 miles away. $40 for another day in the mountains, how can you beat that? This was the only motel that wasn't $130 a night at the time so we said "no" and checked into our room. We thought we knew what we were expecting, it wasn't going to be the nicest place but surely it wouldn't be "camping."

There were "locked doors" to the other side of the motel room, it just gave an aura of creepiness to it. There were multiple gnats (dead and alive, I'd say the ratio was 1:4) everywhere in the sink and shower area. The toilet would not flush and appeared to have the last resident's cigarette ashes in there (non-smoking room?). I did not notice any kind of drug activity as one reviewer stated however I would not be entirely surprised. We asked for a refund as it was less than five minutes before we realized we had made a mistake checking in there. The lady was apologetic and offered to clean the room again but at that point my fiancee offered to drive home 4 hours away because it was "that bad."

It's now a running joke between my fiancee and I and is the subject of much embarrassment on my part for having not "toured" the room prior to paying. If she offers to tour the room, just say yes.

Room Tip: Not applicable
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Shawn S
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed 1 June 2011

This isn't the best place I've ever stayed for a night, but at $39.99 a night it beat the $80 all the other hotels were asking for. The pool was clean and served it's purpose well on a hot 95 degree day. My room was simple, but clean. I can see why discerning travelers might not want to stay here, but if you're just coming through for the night this place will do just fine. The lady who checked me in let me look at the room first and gave me a room where I could access the limited wi-fi area if I promised not to smoke in the room, since it's non-smoking. It's old and a bit beat up, but as I said...it's not a horrible place to stay the night and the pool really hit the spot.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank DasPimp
north carolina
Reviewed 22 August 2009

We actually checked in...lots of embarrassment now for doing that. The room was non-smoking..but reeked, the two beds were so crowded in that one blocked the closet. We just left, didn't ask for our money back, never unpacked because of the horrible odor. We fled. This place made any other motels look elegant.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank beigedog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marion
Comfort Inn
#1 of 4 in Black Mountain
Carolina Country Inn
Carolina Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Burnsville

Been to Sportsman Inn? Share your experiences!