“Sleep Inn? I couldn't sleep here!!”

Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Springfield, Virginia
“Sleep Inn? I couldn't sleep here!!”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is NOT a low cost alternative for Charlotte. With taxes, I paid close to $100 a night, and had two terrible nights of sleep. We were on the third floor, and both nights we had LOUD floor noises all night long. I do not think that it was the people above us. but the hallway floor. Also the bath facilities are cheap, cheap, cheap. There is no door for the toilet and shower, only a sliding door which was v. difficult to slide. Bottom line: you can, and should, do a lot better in the Charlotte area!!!

Room Tip: If you do have to stay here, select a room on the top floor (4).
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank authored
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations during your stay. Although some of your guests are particularly sensitive to noise, we don't regularly receive such feedback about the noise level unless there is an unruly group in the hotel. I don't have enough information about your dates of stay to check that information. We did have some groups in prior to your writing of this review so it is possible that a group was making noise. If reported to the front desk we can enforce the noise policies that the groups agree to in order to correct the situation.

As for the bathrooms, the pocket door is provided between the toilet and shower area and the room to save space. While that is a great alternative, time and humid bath conditions have caused some of the doors to be hard to operate. Although it cannot correct your past stay, you will be happy to know that the doors are being replaced when we do our scheduled renovation next year with new easier to operate pocket doors.

Again I apologize for your experience and do hope that you will return in the future and allow us to make it up to you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I recently stayed at another Sleep Inn in Charlotte and was very pleased. I assumed this one would be similar. I'm pretty easy to please with hotel accommodations and travel quite a bit. In fact, I have never written a bad review before this one.

Check-in was a breeze with the nice staff, and the room was clean and comfortable. The hotel has light sensors that turn lights off when no one is there. While taking a shower, the lights went completely off every 10 seconds so I had to get out of the shower and wave my hand in front of the light switch to turn them back on--every 10 seconds. After that experience, I went down for breakfast. In the other Sleep Inn, they offered scrambled eggs, meat and a variety of other breakfast foods. This one only had a refrigerator stocked with questionable foods and a waffle maker and several pastries. I decided on the waffles until I saw there was no syrup anywhere--only peanut butter and some packets of honey. At least they couldn't mess up the hot chocolate--so I thought. The hot water was at best lukewarm. I've eaten breakfast at many hotels, but this was by far the absolute worst. There were no breakfast attendants to be seen.

When I complained about the lights to the desk clerk, he noted that Duke Power gave them a discount for installing these types of switches. I don't believe the discounts will make up for the lost customers.

If this had been my first experience with the Sleep Inn brand, it would be my last. Next time, I will go to the University Place Sleep Inn if I decide to return to the brand.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear KenRNC,

Thank you for providing your feedback regarding your stay.

I sincerely apologize for your experience. This is not a normal occurrence. We did recently have a company install the energy saving light switches in the rooms. The switch in your room has malfunctioned and the room was put on block immediately after you checked out, and the maintenance staff replaced the switches on Monday. This is a new product for us and we had not had that issue before. We appreciate your bringing it to our attention. I do understand your frustration with the answer you received from the desk clerk as it did not solve your problem. This review will be shared with him during retraining.

We are in the process of reviewing our breakfast offerings and trying to expand them. The Sleep Inn's were not originally built to provide the new hot breakfast that Sleep Inn is now offering, our kitchen is not currently set up to be compliant with the health code to serve hot breakfast. That situation is being reviewed and we will be addressed it in our future renovation plans. I will be addressing the fact that you could not locate the breakfast attendant to as well.

Again I apologize for your experience and should you wish to speak with me further please contact me at 704-841-1660 or via e-mail at gm.nc032@choicehotels.com

April Grant
Florence, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Room was a good size and clean, hot shower, and a comfy bed. Staff was friendly. Free breakfast wasn't great, but then again it was free. The room had a fridge, microwave, and a decent size TV.

Be warned, the whole 5th floor smells like smoke (it's the only smoking floor), location wise, it's close to restaurants and shopping, but not super close to anywhere of relevance in Charlotte, and it is off a very busy street, so expect 2-5 minutes waiting at the light.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Jason,

I apologize for the lateness in this response. I had spoken with you previously regarding this issue when you presented it through Choice Hotels.

Again I sincerely apologize for the treatment you received. We do require ID for special rate discounts but since you were with your co-workers the situation dedinitely should have been handled very differently.

I do hope that you will give us a chance to make it up to you. Please contact me at gm.nc032@choicehotels.com or 704-841-1660 with any questions.

April Grant
Morganton, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Overall, I don't have a problem with the hotel in general and I think I'm being nice by rating it 3 out of 5. This is only because this hotel is in a good location and the hotel itself is very clean and comfortable but they are lacking on customer service. The only problem I had was with the person at the front desk when we checked in. This last time was the third time I've stayed here and the person at the front desk has never been the nicest but this was the last straw for me. He was very rude to me and my coworkers when he asked for identification that I did not have. I understand policy, but there is no reason to be rude about it. As far as the hotel goes, it was comfortable but I won't be back to this hotel as long as the same person is at the front desk.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 24 February 2013

There is nothing nice i can say about this hotel. In a non-smkoing room there were cigarettes burns in the bedding, gross smell, unpleasant staff, and toilet would not flush. I will not be recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Dear Amie E,

Thank you for your feedback. The management of the hotel takes your complaints very seriously. Your experience is not the norm at this and we will address it immediately. If you are able I would welcome direct communication from you so that I can pinpoint what employees need to be addressed in all departments involved. I did not receive any information directly from you during your stay and your complaint does not address any specifics.

You may contact me at gm.nc032@choicehotels.com or 704-841-1660.

Thank you.
Reviewed 1 December 2012

The man working at the front disk rude all because I complained about my sheets been dirty he tell me u can check out & find yourself another hotel & told me to go find the sheets I'll not stay here again

• Stayed November 2012
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
Dear Toybaby25,

As you know, I have corresponded with you via e-mail about this issue previously. I used the information you provided as a learnig tool for the employee you interacted with.

I am sorry that you are unsatisfied with the resolution of the situation. As you know we did immediately provide you with a new sheet as you requested, after you declined to be relocated to a new room. The cleaning log was checked and the original sheet was a clean sheet but had a stain that did not come out in the wash and should not have been used on the bed. Without being allowed the next morning to pull the sheet and serviced the room we were left with no other options to correct your issue and verify that it had been corrected.

The desk clerk has been counseled about how the information was relayed. This issue was complicated by the fact that the reservation violated a company employee rate regulation. This did not just involve our hotel. Since the room had been booked at the employee rate with no employee present as required we were advised to allow you to checkout early with a refund for the 2nd night to resolve the issue.

All of our guests are very important to us and I am very sorry that we were not able to come to a mutually agreeable resolution.

April D. W.Grant
Mountain Brook, Alabama, United States
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

We walked in no reservation. Front desk helped me get my choice privileges, set out a special pot of coffee and muffins since we were leaving prior to the breakfast time.
Rooms were clean and newly painted. Only complaint is that it was the smallest corner room I've ever been in.
Mike at the front desk rocks!!!

• Stayed November 2012
SleepInnGM, General Manager at Sleep Inn Matthews - Charlotte, responded to this review, 19 November 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review! The corner rooms are the exact same size as the other rooms in the hotel so, in this instance you gain no extra space by choosing that location. We do have two suites so you may want to consider upgrading to get the additional space. Just let us know when booking your next stay and we will be happy to check the rate and availability for you.

We agree, Mike is one of our best employees and I will certainly make sure he knows you think so too!

Please visit us again when you are in the area.