“Very good staff saved the day”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I were traveling to Florida from Connecticut. We had traveled 12 hours that day and needed to find a place to stay. We have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses before because they are very clean.
While on I-77 south I called the Holiday Inn Express reservation number and spoke to someone. This person told me I could reserve a room- the last room this hotel had- for $129.00 for the night. She explained I would not get a refund as it was their last room. I agreed as we needed to stay somewhere. She had given us directions which I confirmed with her that we would get off at exit 2b on I 77 south. She confirmed and said it was only 9 miles away. Well come to find out there is no exit 2b on I 77. We contact the same number again to let them know their directions were incorrect and we are now in South Carolina. I ask if we can transfer this reservation to a Holiday Inn Express in South Carolina. This person checks with someone "at the reservation desk" and tells me I have to turn around and go back or I will lose the $129.00. We are now an extra 45 minutes into finding this hotel. We have no choice but to turn around or be charged. This next person tells us it is exit 10 off of I 77 about 10 minutes away. Again wrong directions! It was actually exit 9 and it was close to 35 - 40 minutes away on I 74.
When we finally get to the hotel the young lady at the desk has trouble finding our reservation. She is very apologetic and goes to speak to a manager. She returns to give us a room. Again very apologetic as now we are very angry and tired.
When we get to the room we receive a call from the manager who asks us to please tell her exactly what happened. She apologizes and explains that this has happened before and they were actually receiving travelers referred by the reservation center when they actually had no rooms available. She advised us to - in the future- contact the hotels directly.
We had decided never to use this chain of hotels again until we received the call from the manager. And due to the calmness and professionalism of the young lady checking travelers in and the manager on duty we will consider this chain of hotels again. I believe her name was Kristen - on duty March 24th.
The room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Breakfast the next day was ok. The staff in the morning at the desk were helpful and pleasant. The hotel is located in a very congested area.
I would recommend this hotel BUT do not call the 1-877 number as these people do not give accurate information. Call the hotel directly or just get off the exit and try your luck that way. The ratings below are referencing the hotel not the reservation center.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chazleen
ManagerCLT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Wow, We are so happy to hear that we were able to help ease the mix up of the central reservations number, and Yes, it is better to contact the hotel directly or ask reservations to connect you to the property. I am so happy to hear that Kristen to care of you as we try to do for all our guests. Especially if they are having a rough day in general. We hope to see you again in the future. We wish you the best and sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor.

I look forward to meeting you in the future,

Mitra Solomon - General Manager

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was having difficulty located the hotel on East Independence Blvd so I called the hotel. Shivoahn gave me excellent directions on how to get there. Later printed off directions to another location I was looking for. Was so thoughtful and kind. Spoke to everyone with respect and offered her help to all. The hotel was quite average but the person at the desk - Shivoahn is the reason the hotel received a "Very Good" rating by me!! Good job Shivoahn.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words! We appreciate it. Shiovhan is an asset to our company and we are very thankful to have her. I am happy to hear she helped you out greatly too! Please let us know next time how we can make your next stay outstanding. We strive to make each stay memorable for each guest. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

-Kristen Wanser
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed two nights at this nice hotel. The first night story is simply for background and was beyond the control of the hotel. I hope that the wife of the man involved reads this.............

Unfortunately, our first night on the second floor was completely marred by a 4AM very noisy, door banging man and his prostitute friend (yes, the conversation & accompanying sounds were loud enough to know this). We chose to just put up with it until the morning, as we both agreed that banging on the walls by us could possibly lead to a nasty confrontation. I went to the font desk early in the morning, and much to the upset of the hotel personnel I relayed our story. As the guest involved was there for a while, we did not want to risk another night of possible entertainment. We were quickly given a new upgraded room on the third floor for our second night, with every apology possible from the front desk. The whole incident was handled very much to our satisfaction by the staff.

The hotel appears to be relatively new and it is conveniently located on the southeast side of the Charlotte, NC area. Our room(s) were all clean, nicely furnished, and quiet with the exception mentioned above. Breakfast was standard hotel fare, with plenty of selection to chose from. The selection could be spread out more though, as it got pretty crowded during peak breakfast hour. Coffee was available in the area all of the time. Our standard room only had a coffee pot, but the suite had a refrigerator, microwave, & coffee pot. I would recommend getting a suite if these amenities are needed. Beds were comfortable, and the choice of soft or firm pillows was nice.

There are a lot of restaurants in the area. We could easily walk to a Cracker Barrel and a Boston Market from the hotel. Traffic on Independence is really heavy, but the hotel is set back enough from the road so that truck/car traffic is not too noticeable.

The heated pool was not heated enough for my husband and I to take a swim, which was something we looked forward to. We are from FL though, so a pool has to be at least in the high 70's to tempt us.

Room Tip: Get a suite if wanting a refrigerator and microwave. The pool is not very heated.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the people next door to you. Though that is something that is out of our control, I sincerely apologize for their actions. I am however happy you liked your suite upgrade. The suites are more spacious and do have a the perks like a refrigerator. As for our pool it actually is heated but only to about 82 degrees. It is salt water and can only be set to a certain temperature. I hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit to Charlotte.

Kristen Wanser

Reviewed 16 March 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel because of the quality you usually find at a Holiday Inn Express. It's usually a step above your Best Westerns and Sleep Inns. This hotel was ok, nothing bad really but nothing to make me feel like it was a step above. It was new and modern. Rooms were clean. Disappointed that I booked a room with a fridge and there was none. Walls a little thin, you could hear hall traffic and neighbors. Beds and linen comfy. Pillows could use an upgrade. Nice Bath & Body Works soaps and lotions. Shower had good water pressure. Breakfast was good with a nice selection of foods. Staff was friendly. Pool was nice but ice cold. Gym lackluster with only 2 treadmills and one elliptical and a set of scales. Overall it's a nice place to stay but I wouldn't pay anymore for this place than surrounding hotels.

Stayed: March 2014

vanomad,

I am so saddened to hear that your stay was just "ok". Our staff and hotel strives to provide great guest services and we want to exceed your expectations. I do apologize, we are in the process of updating all of our pillows in our rooms, which will be completed by the end of April. Our pool unfortunately is not heated to temperatures that most travelers would expect, due to it being a salt water pool we can only keep it heated to approximately 82 degrees. Though our fitness center is small we do have a local partnership with Lifetime Fitness and offer FREE day passes. I hope that your next time in Charlotte you will give us another try. We appreciate your review and hope to see you in the future.

Kristen Wanser
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our power went out. My husband and I decided to go to the Holiday Inn Express near our home. The staff was very nice, helpful and understanding. Barbara was the most friendly, helpful person. Since our power went out. The Wi-Fi and the business center was also helpful.We needed to fax some documents. She went above and beyond to help us. It was nice to get excellent service and with a sincere smile. The suite we stayed in was clean, comfortable, spacious. The bathroom was very comfortable and clean. It was like having the comforts of home. Breakfast was an added bonus. I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area. Barbara is wonderful and most helpful and valuable staff member at this hotel.

Room Tip: The suite is your best choice. Clean, Comfortable and Spacious.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us. The snow storm was defiantly a shock for everyone and I am so happy you found the hotel accommodating. Barbara is a star employee and we are very happy to have her. I hope that you can stay with us during your next "staycation". We would be happy to take care of any friend and family too! Thank you again for taking the time to review or hotel.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed in the HI Express on E. Independence BLVD. on Jan. 25; this was one of the most "simply beautiful" hotels I've stayed in. The decor was crisp, modern, with clean lines; simply beautiful; nothing extravagant. The front desk personnel were very friendly and helpful. I was unfamiliar with the area, and I got lost. I called the front desk and Barbara assisted me with good directions and got me back to the motel. The room, the bed, the decor was again simply beautiful and comfortable. Good breakfast, too. Couldn't ask for more. Loved it!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
ManagerCLT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Dear pgranit:
We can't thank you enough for the five star review you gave us. We truly appreciate you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel, and all of your positive feedback. Our entire team will be delighted to hear these compliments about our comfortable rooms, complimentary breakfast buffet and hard working team. We look forward to seeing you again soon during your next trip to Matthews, NC!

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Nice, comfortable, and clean accommodations. Perfect distance to downtown Charlotte. Across from the Charlotte Harley Davidson Dealership, perfect if you wanted to rent a bike for a few days. Independence Blvd is a busy road around rush hour, but otherwise you have everything right. A nice Cracker Barrel restaurant next door, had a good breakfast there. This Holiday Inn is a good choice, would return so I could rent a bike and do some area riding.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your comments and feedback. I love how we are the perfect location for you and look forward to having you stay with us again and hopefully rent a Harley when the weather gets nicer! Thank you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East? Share your experiences!