Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Matthews
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Very good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Spent a few days while here on business. I has stayed here a few times in the past for the same reason. It is a clean comfortable place to stay. The staff is always friendly. The breakfast is the usual hotel items. Not bad and they get your morning started. Everything you need is a short distance away. Turning on Hwy 74 is a pain. The road is always busy. Nothing the hotel can do about it, just something to know. I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Adak C,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your trips to Charlotte. We are proud to be your home away from home and would do anything possible for you to have a memorable stay. We all have to agree with you about the traffic on 74 and hope that the city will one day fix that issue. We really value you as one of our frequent guests and look forward to serving you during future stays.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed several days at this hotel and Ivan was so friendly and helpful to us. Even though he is disabled, he walked all the way upstairs to bring us extra towels, blankets, and eating utensils. He even gave us free items from the store in the lobby! Such a nice man.

Room Tip: Only deal with Ivan, he will give you special rates.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you harriman n, We really appreciate your feed back and for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. We are so pleased to hear that Ivan was able to assist you with your needs. He is a wonderful man and an asset to our company. We all really appreciate your kind words. Thank you so much for staying with us, we look forward to seeing you in the future.
Calabash, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This is the second time at this hotel. The room was extremely comfortable but if your vertically challenged (short) as I am you might want to take a running jump to get into the bed as it's extremely tall. They give you options of pillows, soft and firm, very nice. The one draw back in the room is no safe. It would have been nice to have a safe in the room. The staff we met were all very friendly and helpful, always saying hello, good morning, etc...
They offer 24 hour coffee, both caffeinated and decaf as well as hot water for tea and hot cocoa. They also offer a "hot" breakfast each morning. This consists of scrambled eggs, sausage, sausage gravy, biscuits, different types of bread for toast. I can only speak for myself but I think the "hot" food could be hotter. They have a pancake maker, very interesting machine along with hard boiled eggs, Chobani yogurt, packages of hot cereal, both grits and oatmeal along w/cold cereals. They also have a machine that gives out orange, cranberry and apple juice. The only thing missing in the breakfast area is a microwave oven although this can be found in the "pantry" area next to the reception desk. There is ample parking. There is also a heated, indoor pool as well as a small exercise room and an out door patio area w/tables and chairs.
It is a little difficult to get into the hotel as it's right on highway 74 and you have to cut across this dangerous road at a slight rise in the road. Other than those few things I've mentioned I would certainly recommend and stay at this hotel again. I do think the prices are a little high for this type of hotel, ie: $120.00 for a Wed night? when I was quoted $108.00 on the web site.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 3rd floor. While we were there the hotel had two LARGE groups of teenagers on...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Sincerely thank you for coming back to stay with us. We understand you have a lot of choices when staying in Charlotte and it means a lot to us. I do apologize for the inconvenience with groups, in the future we will be happy to assign you a room a way from noise. Our hotel is busy with corporate traveling guests during the week which could explain the higher rate. Sometimes the lower online rates require you to prepay. Thank you again for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to having you again in the future.
Somewhere
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

This was a fantastic stay. Upon entering the hotel we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who did a great job of making us feel welcome. Also, the smell of the hotel was very pleasing. I am glad we decided to stay here because it made our shopping convenient as the businesses and restaurants were close by. The complimentary breakfast was awesome and the pancake machine was great. We will definitely stay here again and we recommend you trying this hotel as well. Oh, the hotel decor is impressive and we found the atmosphere of the stay so relaxing. I would have given a 5 rating if the pancake machine would not limit guests to just 1 pancake at a time. Really, you could only select 1 pancake even though the machine was capable of two or more at a time. I really like pancakes!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank James H
ManagerCLT, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
James H,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy day to review our hotel! We appreciate it very much. We are so happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay and our pancakes! We look forward to seeing you in the future and will have extra pancakes on hand for you. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to see you soon.
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I were traveling to Florida from Connecticut. We had traveled 12 hours that day and needed to find a place to stay. We have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses before because they are very clean.
While on I-77 south I called the Holiday Inn Express reservation number and spoke to someone. This person told me I could reserve a room- the last room this hotel had- for $129.00 for the night. She explained I would not get a refund as it was their last room. I agreed as we needed to stay somewhere. She had given us directions which I confirmed with her that we would get off at exit 2b on I 77 south. She confirmed and said it was only 9 miles away. Well come to find out there is no exit 2b on I 77. We contact the same number again to let them know their directions were incorrect and we are now in South Carolina. I ask if we can transfer this reservation to a Holiday Inn Express in South Carolina. This person checks with someone "at the reservation desk" and tells me I have to turn around and go back or I will lose the $129.00. We are now an extra 45 minutes into finding this hotel. We have no choice but to turn around or be charged. This next person tells us it is exit 10 off of I 77 about 10 minutes away. Again wrong directions! It was actually exit 9 and it was close to 35 - 40 minutes away on I 74.
When we finally get to the hotel the young lady at the desk has trouble finding our reservation. She is very apologetic and goes to speak to a manager. She returns to give us a room. Again very apologetic as now we are very angry and tired.
When we get to the room we receive a call from the manager who asks us to please tell her exactly what happened. She apologizes and explains that this has happened before and they were actually receiving travelers referred by the reservation center when they actually had no rooms available. She advised us to - in the future- contact the hotels directly.
We had decided never to use this chain of hotels again until we received the call from the manager. And due to the calmness and professionalism of the young lady checking travelers in and the manager on duty we will consider this chain of hotels again. I believe her name was Kristen - on duty March 24th.
The room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Breakfast the next day was ok. The staff in the morning at the desk were helpful and pleasant. The hotel is located in a very congested area.
I would recommend this hotel BUT do not call the 1-877 number as these people do not give accurate information. Call the hotel directly or just get off the exit and try your luck that way. The ratings below are referencing the hotel not the reservation center.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chazleen
ManagerCLT, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Wow, We are so happy to hear that we were able to help ease the mix up of the central reservations number, and Yes, it is better to contact the hotel directly or ask reservations to connect you to the property. I am so happy to hear that Kristen to care of you as we try to do for all our guests. Especially if they are having a rough day in general. We hope to see you again in the future. We wish you the best and sincerely thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor.

I look forward to meeting you in the future,

Mitra Solomon - General Manager
Thomasville, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I was having difficulty located the hotel on East Independence Blvd so I called the hotel. Shivoahn gave me excellent directions on how to get there. Later printed off directions to another location I was looking for. Was so thoughtful and kind. Spoke to everyone with respect and offered her help to all. The hotel was quite average but the person at the desk - Shivoahn is the reason the hotel received a "Very Good" rating by me!! Good job Shivoahn.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words! We appreciate it. Shiovhan is an asset to our company and we are very thankful to have her. I am happy to hear she helped you out greatly too! Please let us know next time how we can make your next stay outstanding. We strive to make each stay memorable for each guest. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

-Kristen Wanser
Front Office Manager
SPRING HILL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

Stayed two nights at this nice hotel. The first night story is simply for background and was beyond the control of the hotel. I hope that the wife of the man involved reads this.............

Unfortunately, our first night on the second floor was completely marred by a 4AM very noisy, door banging man and his prostitute friend (yes, the conversation & accompanying sounds were loud enough to know this). We chose to just put up with it until the morning, as we both agreed that banging on the walls by us could possibly lead to a nasty confrontation. I went to the font desk early in the morning, and much to the upset of the hotel personnel I relayed our story. As the guest involved was there for a while, we did not want to risk another night of possible entertainment. We were quickly given a new upgraded room on the third floor for our second night, with every apology possible from the front desk. The whole incident was handled very much to our satisfaction by the staff.

The hotel appears to be relatively new and it is conveniently located on the southeast side of the Charlotte, NC area. Our room(s) were all clean, nicely furnished, and quiet with the exception mentioned above. Breakfast was standard hotel fare, with plenty of selection to chose from. The selection could be spread out more though, as it got pretty crowded during peak breakfast hour. Coffee was available in the area all of the time. Our standard room only had a coffee pot, but the suite had a refrigerator, microwave, & coffee pot. I would recommend getting a suite if these amenities are needed. Beds were comfortable, and the choice of soft or firm pillows was nice.

There are a lot of restaurants in the area. We could easily walk to a Cracker Barrel and a Boston Market from the hotel. Traffic on Independence is really heavy, but the hotel is set back enough from the road so that truck/car traffic is not too noticeable.

The heated pool was not heated enough for my husband and I to take a swim, which was something we looked forward to. We are from FL though, so a pool has to be at least in the high 70's to tempt us.

Room Tip: Get a suite if wanting a refrigerator and microwave. The pool is not very heated.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ManagerCLT, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We really appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the people next door to you. Though that is something that is out of our control, I sincerely apologize for their actions. I am however happy you liked your suite upgrade. The suites are more spacious and do have a the perks like a refrigerator. As for our pool it actually is heated but only to about 82 degrees. It is salt water and can only be set to a certain temperature. I hope that you will stay with us again during your next visit to Charlotte.

Kristen Wanser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Matthews
East Forest
Fairfield Inn & Suites Charlotte Matthews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Matthews East? Share your experiences!