“Long Live Duke's!”
Review of Duke's Grill

Duke's Grill
Ranked #6 of 131 Restaurants in Monroe
Reviewed 4 March 2014

People that grew up here love this place - it has been around since alot of them were kids even though it had changed hands. I think personally they are a little high priced, BUT, their hamburgers are big and good and their fries are wonderful! I am sure if I grew up in Monroe too, that I would feel the same way as my husband!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was Leary when they told me they only make well done burgers, but they were delicious ! We are from NY and thought the price was cheap!

1  Thank shellymig
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Don't expect plates or any extras. What you should expect is huge delicious, mouth-watering burgers with more fries than you can probably hold! Days and hours are limited but well worth it! A local favorite!

1  Thank 2happy2bsad
Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

We came here for lunch and although it was good I just don't think it was worth 20.00 for the two of us. The burger was good but the fries were just regular crinkle plain no seasoning fries. However in comparison to some of the other burger joints I would still come here. I like the vibe here and the staff is great! Great long running business that we'd like to continue supporting.

1  Thank Stars4dt
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Based on overwhelmingly positive comments made by other reviewers regarding Duke's Grill, my wife and i decided to take a short drive to Monroe to have lunch at Duke's today for the first time. We were excited about the prospect of trying their double cheeseburgers made "all the way" that many people have raved about, along with onion rings that have also received highly positive comments from reviewers. We love good cheeseburgers and onion rings and are always searching for that "next good place" in the greater Charlotte area where such food items are offered.
Duke's is situated in a small, rather nondescript old building. It was immediately noticed upon walking inside the establishment that this is a place where locals congregate, converse, and catch up on the news while eating. During the time of our visit, it surely seemed as though everybody knew each other within a clannish atmosphere.
The person who seated us possessed a nonchalant and somewhat unfriendly attitude and she wanted to seat us at a table next to a hand washing sink. That was neither appetizing nor appealing. Then we saw a couple of empty tables situated in a tiny back room and asked if we could be seated at one of those tables. It was figured that the quality of the food would compensate for the lack of friendliness and rough start to the visit. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Our cheeseburgers, while certainly amply sized, prepared medium well, and sufficiently embellished with "all the way" condiments (chili, slaw, mustard, and onion), were not warm at all. It was like the burgers had already been prepared beforehand and were set off to the side of grill for use to fill upcoming orders. The onion rings, while served hot and prepared well, did not come remotely close to comparing to the quality of onion rings served at places like South 21 Restaurant. It bears mentioning that the slaw condiment on the cheeseburger was quite good.
While we were eating, a waitress came to the small back room where we were seated and began sweeping the floor, stirring dust into the air, disrupting our dining, and basically culminating a surprisingly disappointing experience.
We were o.k. with a cell phone policy in the restaurant that strictly prohibits the use of cell phones, but how many signs does it take to get the point across that cell phones are not allowed?
Maybe I am missing something, but I am not sure what other reviewers are seeing and experiencing--nostalgia perhaps, charm in an old history-filled structure, or, maybe comfort in being in surroundings where everybody knows each other. Maybe the burgers and onion rings are wonderful to them--Food likes and dislikes are subjective, after all. Perhaps we caught the restaurant on an "off" day. That having been said, we felt like first time visitors visiting Mayberry (i.e. "The Andy Griffith Show") while at Duke's and we were definitely treated like strangers in town. Restaurant personnel acted like they could care less about our being there and did not value our business, even up to the time when we paid the tab. In the end, customer experience is everything. Sadly, our particular experience at Duke's Grill did not measure up and was not as hoped it would be.

4  Thank SingerOpera

Been to Duke's Grill? Share your experiences!