“Surprisingly good with room for improvement”

SpringHill Suites Charlotte Lake Norman/Mooresville
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Mooresville
Chantilly, Virginia
“Surprisingly good with room for improvement”
Reviewed 28 March 2014 via mobile

We were impressed with the size of the rooms, comfort of the beds and the overall decor of this hotel. It appears to have been recently renovated. The room we stayed in had 2 queen beds and a separate sitting area with a sofa and desk/work area and a wet bar. The lighting was great because you have multiple lighting fixtures and switches to light specific areas of the room (important with families who have young children that need a night light and you forgot to pack a night light like we did). The separation of space was also great because I had to get some work done, and could do so without interrupting the wife's sleep.

The breakfast was awesome and the staff serving the breakfast (stocking the buffet) were very friendly and helpful. They even have grits! Eggs, sausage, oatmeal, waffle machine, and all the typical cold breakfast items.

For the price, I was shocked at how good this hotel is ($98 all in).

The reasons I am not giving this 5 stars are as follows:

We were not welcomed with a smile. We checked in close to 8pm, and the person working the front desk did not really greet us at all. After we waited for a few minutes, she came out from the back office, said "how can I help you" and that was about it until I asked where the best place to park would be. I got the impression that she may have just been in a bad mood. She wasn't rude.
She just seemed somewhat new, which is just a good coaching opportunity for management. Definitely not a bad experience, but not the Marriott standard, and noticeable.

Couple of quality issues: in room 502 the toilet has some rust colored stains on the back of the toilet seat. I minor detail in the remodel that looks initially like an un-cleaned latrine, but on closer inspection is just rust staining. Definitely need to consider replacing the toilet as I also noticed considerable calcification between the tank and base if the toilet (only noticed because the stain triggered my inner cleanliness instincts).

The mattress was very comfortable, but the pillows were pretty lame. Very flat and comfortless. I prefer no pillow when I sleep, but my wife was uncomfortable all night with the pillows. Again, a simple fix and something that wouldn't prevent me from staying here again. More of a heads up to management.

Over time if these little things go unchecked, you end up with a 2 star rating.

As long as management takes action they can get keep this 4 stars and even improve to 5 stars.

Stayed March 2014
Caitlen I, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Lake Norman/Mooresville, responded to this review, 31 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time and effort to give us such a thorough review. This is exactly what we want and need in order to guarantee our guests have the best experience possible at our property. We are pleased that your stay was enjoyable, despite a few of the items you mentioned. We appreciate your honest feedback and we will take action immediately towards improvement. Thank you again and we look forward to serving you in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I am a frequent business traveler, and stay at this property often. Physically, I like the layout of the rooms. The bedroom area is very clean and comfortable, and I like that I can also spread out my yoga mat or just relax in the living room area.

The entire staff is great! They are very accommodating and go out of their way to ensure a comfortable stay. I always feel so welcomed by the friendly smiles of Chelsea and LaDonna, among many others! At one point, during a snow storm, my flight was cancelled and I had to unexpectedly extend my trip. Aware of the circumstances, Drew anticipated my needs and made provisions for me to stay the extra nights I required. Additionally, he made the entire stay a fun and memorable experience for my colleagues and I. When the snow storm called for extra work around the hotel, he took immediate ownership of tasks and was the first one to step up and shovel snow, work the bar, manage the front desk, and whatever else needed doing. He was on it, taking action to ensure the hotel ran in tip-top shape, providing the best possible experience for his guests. Despite a week of hard work, he maintained an extremely fun and friendly demeanor! Me and my colleagues had a blast during our stay!!

Side note: If Drew is ever working at the lobby bar, ask for "Drew's special" -- he makes an amazing White Russian!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Caitlen I, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Lake Norman/Mooresville, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
We are pleased to learn that your recent stay with us was so enjoyable, despite the snowstorm! As a hotel, we strive to provide the best customer service to all of our guests and in any circumstance. It is wonderful to see that our staff did just that! Thank you for your review and we look forward to serving you again in the future.
North Carolina
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful hotel and the people are wonderful. I love the bar in the lobby and the restaurants next door. My room was very clean and the breakfast was delicious. Very convenient location with everything you need close at hand. I wIll definitely return to this hotel!

Stayed December 2013
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Stayed for a weekend and it was clean, quiet, and comfortable. The location was good for me as well. Near the highway but quiet. Breakfast was very good there as well. The staff was helpful with the area around the hotel and letting me know what was near and where I could find restaurants and racing shops as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Caitlen I, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Charlotte Lake Norman/Mooresville, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay with us. We are very pleased to learn that your weekend was so satisfactory. We aim to deliver an enjoyable visit and memorable customer service. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope you will visit with us again soon!
Raleigh
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Our family of four stayed for a weekend and enjoyed the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms. There was a full breakfast buffet in the morning and a nice bar with beer and mixed drinks at night. Pool was very small, but the kids didn't mind! We would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

I gave this hotel a four star review because it was simply a four. I enjoyed my stay, but certainly would not give it a 5 star rating because it didn't blow me away. It was great for business, the value was good, and the location was right down the street from our business meetings. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This property looks nice and the suites were fine...my average rating was due to the bedroom...there was supposed to be a bed skirt on the box springs and it was missing. You could see the bed frame and tags and it looked 'wrong'. I could have overlooked that but the bed frame was too big for the mattress and stuck out on one side...would be easy to hit with your leg or foot. Maybe that is why they did not put the bed skirt on there but it definitely looked sloppy. The rest of the furnishings were fine. This was one of the suites with the tv 'straddling' between the bedroom area and the living room area. Not really condusive to letting one person sleep and the other get up and watch tv.

Room Tip: Right off 77 and easy to get on and off interstate but finding the driveway was a little interesting...