“Good, just not great” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Prickly Pear

Prickly Pear
Reserve with OpenTable
Prickly Pear is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 263 Restaurants in Mooresville
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Harbor Point Village
Davidson, North Carolina
“Good, just not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stopped in to check out the Prickly Pear's new location in October while our family from out of town was visiting for a couple days. While our previous dining experience at this restaurant's former location in downtown Mooresville was just a smidge short of perfection, this latest visit wasn't nearly as good. The service was great. The food, however, was average. Granted, this most recent visit was during the lunch hours of service, however the guacamole was not freshly made at our table, like the menu said it would be and the food just wasn't as well seasoned as what we had expected based on our previous meals here. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ThePricklyPear, Owner at Prickly Pear, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and give us your input based on your most recent experience. I am always concerned if a customer is not satisfied with the food at the Prickly Pear. It would be a great help if you could specify what you had to eat so that I may directly address any problems with those items. As far as the guacamole, we do not make it table side at lunch, only at dinner. However, the guacamole is made fresh right before opening in a small quantity everyday. We hope you come in again and if the guacamole is not to your liking, we will happily make a fresh batch. Once again, thanks for your input and we look forward to seeing you at the Prickly Pear again soon.

Cornelius, North Carolina
“Food very good, but disappointed with management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

The food and service was very good, however I was extremely frustrated when using the Amazon Local coupon I had purchased. I was informed by the waiter that the coupon could not be applied toward tax, tip or alcoholic beverages, which I was not aware of, because it was not clearly stated when I purchased the coupon. In fact, when I spoke to the manager about it, he showed me where in extremely small print it stated that use for alcoholic beverages was at the restaurant's discretion. When I told the manager that every other coupon I have purchased for other restaurants through either Groupon or Amazon Local, they clearly stated if they could not be used for alcoholic beverages. In the end, they would only allow me to use the coupon for food items, so for the $2.00 difference between the total of food items and the coupon, they have lost a customer. Extremely poor decision by this restaurant manager!

• Visited November 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Very nice meal and great service.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

Very nice, but a little expensive for simple Mexican fare. Very nice outdoor dining area. Onions over powered the fresh guacamole.

• Visited September 2013
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Modern Mexican with missed opportunities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We went with a group of people here since it was recommended. The place was nice inside and beautiful outside. It is right on Lake Norman so if you sit outside the view is incredible. The food itself was subpar. First thing with the menu is that they have a small appetizer front to the menu with items that are only available from 4p-6p and after 9. Well I wanted the "Elote" which was grilled corn on the cob with cojita cheese, chilies and such. They would not make it even though it was 7. Take it off of the menu then and have it separate versus the first thing people see. I had black bean soup that was a puree ( very smooth, no grain or whole bean ) which had a good flavor with a good spice at the end. I had the scallops with Mexican rice which I would not order again. I would think for scallops they would be pan seared and they were not. Definitely Pre-steamed and then coated in sauce. They were coated in a sweet berry chipoltle sauce which sounds good but they raspberry taste killed it. Plus no sear and they were either tough or to soft. The rice tasted like a commercial Uncle Bens versus real Mexican rice. Some people to my right had the Ribeye and shrimp platters which looked a lot better than mine. So maybe it was just my dish. The portions are portioned controlled so they are not very large. I would probably go back, if outside, and trying something else on the menu. I prefer authentic Mexican food and this place is listed as Modern Mexican so authenticity of meals is questionable.

Visited August 2013
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great food, beautiful view.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

Visited the new location of the Prickly Pear on Lake Norman and wondered why I waited so long!The view of the lake is gorgeous and as always, the food was top notch. We shared the calamari which was delicious and I had one of the pork dishes as my entree. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was one of the best dishes I've had anywhere. Love this place and will be back soon!

• Visited July 2013