“Sharks Gallore”

Olympus Dive Center
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Sharks Gallore”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure what I was expecting but Olympus blew my mind. The staff were friendly and approachable, always giving helpful tips. And we saw SO many sharks. We ended up adding an extra day to our dive week to continue diving with them. Great experience, they are the best and really know what they're doing.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank GenevieveDonin

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Careful...follow their DM's at your own risk”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

So where to begin....I went out this July and we had limited visibility with a fairly strong current. 1st time in the Atlantic ocean, felt comfortable but like I said the current was strong. Me and my assigned buddy started following his two friends which were apparently following the guides who were guiding some diver's. I was taking video and had no sense of how much we drifted but everyone was chill and seemed to be enjoying the sharks, barracuda and such. Before you know it I see one of the boat crew yelling profusely at us and he is pointing and yelling (underwater) to surface. I immediately think it's a horrific, life or limb emergency based on his actions and I immediately surface (We were at 85ft for like 5 mins and slowly ascended but when seeing him I was at 30 ft or so). He has a tow line and me, two guides and maybe 4 other people make our way back to the boat. When we get on the boat they were yelling at us and belittling us (for following Their paid employees...Ha!) I had a bloody nose and took preventive measures. I told them I didn't feel safe and didn't go on the second dive (got sick) Overall a terrible experience. I hope they at least talked to and retrained their dive guides as on the boat the divers were verbally talked to like we were 5yr olds, guides were not mentioned or brought up as part of the problem.

8 Thank JJQ2013
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Best in the business”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

I spent the second week in July diving with Olympus and their professional staff. My grandson was there also doing an Advanced and Nitrox course. We love the attention to passenger comfort and truly appreciate it that Olympus doesn't drop us in when the current is not safe for diving. We especially love that we get at least a two hour surface interval allowing us a full second dive. I also think that because the captain and crew also dive on most trips that they ensure the passengers a better experience.

2 Thank GregD2
Baltimore, Maryland, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Good place, nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

Very knowledgeable and friendly staff, comfortable boat, nice rental equipment. There was no room on the full-day (3 dives) boat so we went for 1/2 day (one dive). The two were almost the same price so we felt kind of ripped off (guess that's what we get for not planning in advance). The visibility wasn't great on our dive but I heard it was better in the morning and it was by no means terrible (maybe 25ft). Also, safety is important but they took things a bit too seriously. We were only about 60ft down but started ascending when the first person in our group hit 1000 psi - it was mildly annoying being asked how much air we had every couple of minutes and then having to surface with my tank still half full on a simple, shallow dive. Overall, it was a good but not great dive. If I went again I'd get the full day boat and no guide.
I'd probably stay at the dive lodge again (great price, even though they don't provide sheets), but it wasn't the greatest environment - out of about 20 people staying there I was the only woman and my friend and I were the only people under the age of about 50 (besides the employees, who are awesome). It probably has something to do with the prices, but the crowd here was definitely not the fun, young adventurer traveler type I was used to from Central America.

4 Thank Lida Z
Atlanta, Georgia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Still the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

Since my last review I have dove with Olympus 6 more times, in two sets of 3 days. This last set of dives was the worst I have done in NC, and yet still tops what I have done anywhere else in my 20 years of diving. For some reason this time the Vis was not great, which was the first time in 4 years I have experienced this. Even with the Vis being sub par, we still saw a lot of amazing life and tremendous wrecks. We got to experience History on the U-352, and our own little sharknado on the Aeolus. It was even better that I got to share this with my buddy that got me into diving so many years ago.

While nature threw us a curve ball, the shore crew, boat crew, and boat were all great. There is honestly nothing that Olympus could have done better. Ok, free beer would have been awesome, but i digress.

Something else that no one mentions, is that these trips are stupid cheap. You are paying about what you would for a short little 2 tank dive in Ft Laud, for basically a full long day offshore, seeing stuff that no other place has. They could kick the prices up $100 a day, and it would still be a great value..... I am writing this in the New Bern airport about to fly out, and already trying to plan my next visit. This is simply the best diving that you will ever do, with the best people you could ever do it with.

1 Thank EAVManBearPig