“Over a decade of great experiences with Down East and Capt. George!”

Down East Guide Service
Ranked #4 of 14 Tours in Morehead City
More attraction details
Owner description: North Carolina Fishing Guide Service. In Oriental/New Bern we run mixed bag trips for speckled trout, puppy drum, and flounder that can happen at anytime with peak fishing in spring and fall. The Tarpon arrive in late June and depart by mid-September. The peak for the Giant Red Drum is August/September. In Morehead City / Atlantic Beach there is a year round mixed bag of speckled trout, flounder and mackerel as well as near shore wreck fishing for grouper, amberjacks and more. In May and June there is excellent sight-casting for cobia and offshore dolphin fishing. October and November are the best fly fishing months for false albacore and king mackerel. We are also the managing partners of Dragin Fly Fishing Charters (see our TripAdvisor page) in Costa Rica based out of Los Suenos Marina and Resort. We specialize in fishing packages, family vacations, corporate trips and honeymoons. All trips are customized and can include fishing, accommodations, transportation and tours. Go with someone who know! George and Anna have been working in Costa Rica for over 20 years. Let us help you plan your next adventure!
Reviewed 3 August 2012

George, thanks again for all that you have done for me and my client parties over the last twelve years. From the trips to Costa Rica to the 10 tarpon we've landed together in the Neuse youve always given it 100% with a smile. On a personal note, thanks for taking the time to always explain why you are fishing the way you are when I ask. I consider you a friend and really appreciate your help in making me a better fisherman. Many things I've learned about the salt water that you call home I will pass along to my kids as my father did for me about fresh water fishing. I look forward to our week together in September chasing the ever elusive 100 old drum in a day goal.

All reviews
in 26 reviews
"trips"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 22 June 2012

Went out at 8AM with a friend and Capt. George Jun. 19th all day. Man was it a blast!! The weather was perfect! Shortly after catching bait, landed my first 4-5ft black tip. Saw some good sized Tarpon too. Went out to a couple of spots, caught gags, bass, 1 US red snapper, 1 cobia, pinfish, triggerfish. Then we went trolling for some dorado, caught about half a dozen. Heard amber jack put up a good fight, so we headed out near the 100' areas and land 4 20-30lbs albacore jack in a row! My arms were so sore the next day! Anyone can get on a boat and go fishing but Capt. George with Down East is an incredible guide which made the experience so great and worth every minute of it!! He was very informative and is the best at what he does! There was never a dull moment on the trip! Saw massive tiger, sea turtle, and flying fish, things you don't see everyday.

Bring: camera, drinks, food, sunglasses, hat, sunscreen and be prepared to have a lotta fun!

Thanks for the wonderful experience Capt. George! Looking forward to doing it again one day!

Thomas Pham June 19, 2012

Reviewed 7 June 2012

Well, onceagain my hat is off to Down East Guide Service! I went fishing with Capt. Greg Voliva today out ofAtlantic Beach, NCand even though the weatherand fish didn't cooperateas I had hoped it was stilla great day.At the end of the day our boat caught 1 cobia. You know it is called fishingand not catching fora reason but you will never go witha crew that puts more effortand energy into your day than these guys. I have been fishing with this crew for 10 years now,(company & personal trips) probablyabout 15 times: in the Pamlico Sound,Atlantic Beachand even Costa Rica. I have never been disappointedand I havealways had fun. I havealso had some of the most epic days of fishinganyone couldask for! I favor Capt. George, Capt. Gregand Capt. Rayea bit, probably because I know them best but Capt. George Beckwithandall the captainsare the BESTat what they do....hands down! Thanks guys foranother wonderful day on the water. - Greta Thompson June 6, 2012

Reviewed 7 November 2011

Some good friends and I went albie fishing off cape lookout with Captian George Beckwith as our guide on Nov 4. The rain was very heavy, the wind was blowin', and the seas were incredibly rough. Our guide kept us calm and when the time came put us on the fish. Even in some extremely difficult conditions, we came out all smiles. I would recommend Captain George and Down East for their professionalism, and expertise. Whether it's offshore in Costa Rica, or huntin birds in Argentina, they've got it handled.