“Never Again”
Review of Sleep Inn

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Morganton
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We found this motel on the internet. We ususlly stay at Hampton, but they were full. Don't stop in Morganton! The non-smoking room was smoky, they gave us another room. It was on first floor. The room was dark and small. It was a handicapped room and I do not know how someone could get a wheelchair into the bathroom. The towel hangers were hanging out of the wall. After my shower, which worked OK, I walked from the restroom to the bed to sit and put on my shoes. I just happened to use a damp towel to wipe my bare feet...they were filthy. The floors needed a major cleaning and mopping! The walls appeared to be very thin as there were children screaming in the room next door about 9 PM. When we called about this, the office said we could move rooms. We were already in bed and they had just arrived. Others complained and the group next door was apparently moved to a quiter location. We could hear doors and hall noise all night. The bed itself was average in comfort. At 8 AM the breakfast room..a small closet-type room, was full of women having a morning chat. We could not get in to get any food. There needs to be more than 1 door in and out. The night before, I asked about getting coffee later, after dinner. I was assured if the coffee decanters were not ok, there was a machine in the breakfast room that always dispensed fresh cofee. It was empty after dinner and the lady at the desk did not offer to remedy this. Two women tried to enter our room with a disfunctional key card about 10 PM. When we entered the hotel for check-in a person was sleeping in the chair . This person appeared to be homeless from the bags, etc surrounding her. Why did we not leave? We had a show to attend the next morning in Morganton. Motels were full due to it being "leaf" weekend in the mountains. Next time we will stop in Hickory, 20 miles away and a bit larger town. After checking out on Saturday we happened to talk to 2 other couples. One lady had gone to bed only to find that it was wet from being urinated in the night before. So, Sleep Inn lost 3 future families of customers. The rates were jacked up to to "leaf" season. Sleep Inn will not happen to us again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. If Hampton is full, stay in another town.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Quality I, Front Office Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

We at the Sleep Inn of Morganton apologize that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel. The Fall months are very busy for the Sleep Inn of morganton since we have many points of interest for travelers during the fall season such as Linville Caverns and Lake James along with the Hickory Regional Airport and the Blue Ridge Mountains only being 20 miles away. The Slep Inn strives to ensure our patrons experience the best visits possible during their travels and we fell short of our goal this time. We hope that should you choose to stay with us at the Sleep Inn again that we can make your stay an exceptional one.

-Sleep Inn
2400 South Sterling st
Morganton NC 28655

There are newer reviews for Sleep Inn

Reviewed 26 October 2013

I had the misfortune of attempting to spend the night at this establishment last night after drivivg straight through from miami florida. After finding out that the front desk clerk could not find my reservation. I then explained that i had driven here from my family vacation in miami because my grandmother had become seriously ill. I asked if there were any discounts available to me and then was charged a rate of 125.00 and a 100.00 cash deposite for the room. Although unhappy at the price as well as the attitude of the clerk i paid for the room and went about getting settled in and into bed. All i wanted was to go to sleep. I admit i was suprised at the size and location of the room. I was in room 118, a very small room with an even smaller bathroom. There was only a shower no bath tub. In my opinion the room is about half the size of what i am use to getting at that price. Did i mention that the room is situated beside the side entrance to the hotel and there is a soda machine right beside the door to the room? I was not at all happy about that either but i was so exhausted from the drive i left it alone and prepared for bed. I turned down the bedding and there was a large round spot of blood the size of a pancake. That was it, i called the unfriendly desk clerk and informed her about the blood on the sheet. The clerk informed me that there was no way there was blood in the bed but offered to let me come get some sheets so that i could change the bed. I then demanded she come see for herself. She reluctantly agreed and 5 minutes later was standing in the room telling me that house keeping did not overlook the discusting bedding and basically accused me of soiling the sheet. I wad outraged! I told her i wanted my money back and she refused to refund my money stating all she could do was put me in another room. Rather than argue with her i reluctantly agreed to a different room. We grabbed our bags and followrd her to the front desk where we waited for 30 minutes while she had a maintenance man go inspect room 118. After inspecting the bed he returned stating loudly that the stain was fresh because of the color of the stain meaning the sheets had not been washed. I agreed with him and was then told by the man that he didn't believe house keeping made a mistake. I then asked if he was stating that i had soiled the linen myself. He said no but kept stating it wasn't the house keepers negligence. He kept trying to get me to let him change the sheets instead of putting me in a different room. I told them both that i wanted to speak to management but was told there was no one but the rude clerk and himself. I asked why i couldn't have my money back and he looked suprised at the clerk. She then lied and said she never told me i couldn't have a refund. She did say that she would not refund our money and the best she could do would be place us in a new room. The man then pretended to call someone and 30 seconds later i was told i could have a refund. No one apologized for the state of the room nor did they try to help in any way they made me feel like a common criminal for simply wanting what i was overcharged for. I am calling the hotel to speak to a manager this morning. I plan to post this on every rating site online maybe that will keep this from happening to anyone else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Shade W
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Perfectly average - it's clean and it's cheap, so it works great for a quick pass-through. A few things to know: 1) there is no hot or sit-down breakfast; it's all grab-and-go and it's located in a tiny room that I happened to get crammed into with a half dozen army guys - so, not your traditional Choice Hotel breakfast room with hot food, 2) it's only 2 stories and there's no elevator, so if you brought a heavy bag or aren't fit for climbing, get the first floor, 3) they share most of their amenities with Quality next door, so the gym and pool are over there. No problem in the summer, but probably not very fun in the winter, 4) some of the thinnest walls I've encountered; I had to keep my TV on just to drown out the family chatter next door.

However, if none of that bothers you, it's a fine overnight stay. Friendly staff, too!

Room Tip: If you need decent accessibility or just don't want to lug your bag upstairs, go for first floor...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 July 2013

The rate was good and the room was clean. However, didn't sleep real good here - the beds weren't comfortable to us.

This hotel is owned and operated by the same people as the Quality Inn next door. The plus is, you get to use the pool....however, I would not have considered staying here with an advance reservation, based on reviews for the Quality Inn - changing prices at check-in.

No elevator, but interior entrances, so stay on first floor.

Front desk staff was extremely nice!

Room Tip: no elevators
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We were in town to run a road race the next morning, didn't want to get so early on Saturday morning, home is only 1 1/2 hours away, but I didn't want to have to get up so early so we decided to stay there for the night. This Sleep Inn was just fine, I always like to have my cup of coffee before a race, some hotels don't offer 24 hour coffee service , but this one does and that means a lot to me. It was very quite hotel, even though it was on a main road through town. Beds slept very well , nice continental breakfast , nothing really fancy but we enjoyed our stay and really got a good deal on our room . It was very clean, only complaint I had about the place was the stairwell smelled very strong with cigarette smoke . We had a non-smoking room which had no smoke smell , which I was very happy about ,I just wish all hotels were all non-smoking!
Overall a nice stay at the Sleep Inn of Morganton!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed here one night for business. It was very clean and smelled very nice when I walked into the room. I will be staying here again. Staff was very very friendly! As well I didnt hear anything no doors shutting no traffic and etc...it is excellent place to stay!

Room Tip: No elevator so if you can climb the stairs I recommend you to go upstairs.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2013

This hotel is clean, in a good location near I40 and just a short drive from the Blue Ridge Parkway. Breakfast is the usual sausage biscuits, pastry, cereal, etc. I found the staff to be friendly, courteous and helpful. We stayed in a room near the front (street end) of the hotel and did not notice any excessive street noise. Our room was clean and everything was in good working order. The hotel shares a parking lot / driveway with the Quality Inn next door and parking was not a problem.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morganton
Hampton Inn Morganton
Best Western Hickory
Best Western Hickory
#3 of 13 in Hickory
#9 of 13 in Hickory

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!