“Awesome little place!”

Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Gastropub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A contemporary southern farm-to-table restaurant that uses locally sourced products, with a fully stocked pub featuring a seasonal cocktail menu and an extensive craft beer list.
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Went there later in the evening and had a great meal, I just have to say that the portions are a little small, I had the fish and there was no starch with it and I had to order more cornbread because I was still hungry. The other people with me felt the same but had different meals. The food is wonderful, the service great and the choice of beers on tap very nice..

Reviewed 1 August 2013

We had a group of 6 people who ate lunch at the Wisteria restaurant. I had the grass feed beef burger with fries that was very good. My wife had the catfish tacos that were also very good. The other four people had: one had the special of the day country ham and pimento sandwich with a salad, one had the egg salad sandwich with salad, one had the "Elvis" (peanut butter, banana, and bacon sandwich, and one had the chicken salad sandwich. The special was very good, the egg salad was OK but needed a little mayo, the "Elvis" was OK but was not their cup of tea, the chicken salad was OK. The service was very good but a little slow. Probably due to the size of our group. Corey our server did a great job explaining the menu items and letting us try a sample of the soup of the day. Overall a very good experience and not your run of the mill burger joint.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

One of the best meals I have had in some time. I had the cornmeal breaded catfish over field peas, corn, and covered with tomato gravy. If this isn't making you hungry I don't know what will. Wife had burger with fresh cut fries and it was outstanding also. Great selection of beer and wine. Upstairs more classy downstairs good pub vibe. Recommend if in Morganton stop in to eat here.

Reviewed 25 July 2013

I rode around Morganton three times without locating the Wisteria Southern Gastropub and finally parked in a municipal lot that I hoped was close to the restaurant. After walking two blocks, I spotted it. When I entered perspiring with my riding gear in tow, they didn't blink an eye and seated me immediately. The place was about two-thirds full of what appeared to be a mixture of families and young professionals.

My server, Charleen, explained that Wisteria prepared mostly locally sourced foods and that the menu changed frequently. The one she presented was only four days old. (She also provided a libations menu containing about three dozen bottled and canned beers as well as three on tap. I was sorry to have to pass.)

I ordered a cup of the soup of the day, chilled corn and cucumber bisque ($3), and a "grown-up grilled cheese" sandwich ($7) from an array of intriguing possibilities. When I enquired what kind of iced tea they served, Charleen told me that "sweet tea" was not available. In North Carolina this borders on sacrilege. However, their solution proved most satisfactory: a quality, plain tea served with a cruet of minted simple syrup ($2).

The soup arrived perfectly smooth and chilled. Although I would have preferred a little more "bite," the balance of pureed vegetables and stock was delightful. The sandwich consisted of two thick slices of in-house made bread with a wonderful flavor and texture, arugula, pimiento cheese, and three thick slices of bacon. Even though the exterior was more toasted than grilled, I found I preferred it that way. A medium size salad with fresh field greens dressed with just the right amount of balsamic vinaigrette accompanied the sandwich.

Service was very well paced: I felt neither neglected nor rushed. And, although she was friendly and attentive, Charleen never seemed intrusive.

Now that I know exactly where Wisteria Southern Gastropub is located, I plan to stop in again whenever I'm out this way.

1  Thank Bren B
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Waited over an hour for our food, then left. Was told twice our food was coming and it never came. Plus they ran out of two items om their menu. service was terrible, will never go again.

3  Thank shannon28655