“Pool a redeeming quality for summer visits”

Quality Inn Morganton
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Morganton
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We have stayed at a number of hotels in Morganton while visiting family in NC. Other hotels in the area are more modern, but we went back to this one specifically because of the nice, outdoor pool & reasonable rates.

We arrived at the hotel 5 hours early but were pleasantly surprised to find that we could check in. The receptionist and other staff was quite pleasant, and I was checked in and in my room in only minutes.

As far as the room, it could use some updates (e.g. Tv quality was awful), but it was as clean as you could get considering the age of the property.. After one night, all three adults were already aching for our home beds, as the bed quality is lacking. (Bring your own pillows too, as the house pillows are small & squish down to almost nothing. Interestingly enough, the housekeeping staff knocked on our door when we were still there in the morning and asked what we needed, gave us some towels, and didn't come back that day.

The grounds are pretty well kept, and the kids love the pool. It's an older pool, so it has a deep end, which is somewhat unusual these days, and is fairly good sized. The pool chairs were hit or miss, with some missing slats, but as far as the kids were concerned, we should go back to that hotel just for the pool.

Breakfast was fine - very typical of many hotels chains, with make-your-own waffles, fruit, cereal, et.

All in all, there are nicer hotels in the immediate area, but it's unlikely that staying here will ruin your trip. I heard from relatives that the Sleep Inn next door (same hotel company) refreshed their rooms, and I think they may share the pool, so you may be able to stay there for a comparable price and make use of the Quality Inn's pool.

Room Tip: All rooms open to the outside (I.e. no interior hallways), however, I have always felt safe with thi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 19 August 2012

During my recent stay at the "quality" inn in morganton. I was astonished at just how low quality it was. First things first the girl who works mornings was extremely rude and condescending. Second, the free wifi didn't work the entire time I was there. And all anyone would say is "its being worked on this never happens " the last thing is one morning we woke up excited to enjoy the free breakfast, except when we went to the breakfast area the doors were closed. It was well before 10;00 so I went and asked the young lady why the breakfast room was closed. She informed me that the person who comes in to do their breakfast did not show up so that breakfast would not be available. Are you serious?? They have no backup plan. The girl was very nice about it and I was not rude to her because I know that it was not her fault that the hotel had no proper procedures. She told us that we were more than welcome to walk next door to the sleep inn and have breakfast. She apologized several times. Overall this place is ridiculous and should not even be open! Rude managers, horrible wifi, and no breakfast? By far the worst hotel I have ever stayed at. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank hotwl
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We checked in at 8:19 pm and checked out at 9:00 pm. The room had a stale smell, the carpet was dirty in one room and it appeared to be blood spots on in the adjacent room. I started itching but was not getting bit by anything that i could see (could've been psychological from looking at the nasty tub). We originally reserved a suite with two beds and a sofa/sleeper. We received a room with two beds and a bath and the adjoining room had a large executive table, sofa sleeper and bath with filthy carpet. There was nothing suite about either room and nothing was of quality. The young lady at the front desk was very kind and the air was very cool in each room. However, we were not comfortable and decided to try and find another hotel. We were blessed enough to get a room at the Hampton Inn down the street with one queen bed, a sleeper and a roll away bed. My husband and I are here for a family reunion with our son and neice. The four of us are in one room but it is very clean and has ample space for the four of us to spend two nights. I souls have taken a picture before we left. Oh yeah, they did have a sanitation score of 96 but I can't figure out why!

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank SENETraveler
Reviewed 15 July 2012

First let me add that I've traveled to many different citys and as long as the room and area are clean and safe I am happy. I booked online so I had two nights pre-paid. We drove for 6 hours to our destination and upon arrival, it took us 25 minutes to check in! The desk clerk was friendly but very flustered because of the long line. There were two other staff members that poked their head in but never offered to help. The lobby and waiting area appear nice and inviting. Unfortunately when we finally made it to our room it was a totally different story. I felt like I had just walked into a seedy hotel room. It was dimmly lit but not so dim that we could fail to notice the big stains on the arm chair cushion. The carpet was not clean and I was afraid to take off my shoes. Unfortunately I ended up eating the pre-paid room and went down the street to the Hampton Inn. In my opinion, this property did not live up to the Quality Inn standards I've come to enjoy. Since we did not stay, I can not fully rate this property which is why I gave it two stars instead of one.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask to see your room first. Could be that we just got the worst room at the hotel, bu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank o311mom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

on our recent trip from Indy to Beaufort SC, we stopped about 1/2 way in Morganton NC. i found the motel listed as a Holiday Inn on my GPS, but upon arrival found it had recently changed to Quality Inn. Snce they had a king bed on AAA rate for $75, and the clerk was very nice, i took the room instead of trying the Hampton Inn across the road. Now in the room and on free interet with good speed, i am thinking i should have checked the Hampton reason the bath water is brown and i hope flushes itself out here shortly. the room, which is around back (where i'd recommend) is quiet and clean and the old school AC unit is humming and pumping out a ton of COLD air. The location is right off I40 and exit 105 and has a "hot breakfast" built into the room rate (we will probably opt for the nearest Hardees biscuts we can find!).
assume the rest of the night goes well unless i post a second update.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Looking to rent a room for 3 nights in my hometown over a HOT holiday weekend after having fire damage to our home and having NO AIR CONDITIONING. Upon arrival Amanda the front desk clerk was very helpful in helping us to book a room at the best price (being that we have a local address we are charged a higher rate than someone traveling!) While back at home the next day I find multiple messages on my cell phone from staff at the Quality Inn telling me that my method of payment would not accept their attempt to bill for the 2nd night and that we would need to come remove our belongings from the room or provide another form of payment. I attempted to call them back on multiple numbers for about 1 hour to let them know that I would get cleaned up and head that way to clear this up (I looked on line and they had posted 2 charges to my credit card.) and provide them with a second form of payment. Upon my arrival there I had my cellphone and was calling the hotel's direct number as I walked in the door. I informed the staff of who I was and that I knew they had been trying to contact me. The tall blonde lady immediately came off with an attitude. I told them that I had been trying to call for an hour or more when she smarted off, "well we have been here working all morning and you haven't called here." It was at that time that I showed her the number I was calling on my cellphone screen and asked her if that was their number because I have been standing in their lobby calling them and no one had answered yet. After further investigation on their behalf they found that the ringer on their phones were off. There were 2 clerks at the front desk, neither of whom could explain, nor were they willing to listen to my concern for over $200 in charges billed for a one night stay in a room with a rate of $84. The tall blonde that I was told was the manager , Amanda, told me that it was a problem with my credit card company and I would have to take it up with them. I made arrangements for another night's stay paying with my debit card and proceeded out the door, to the end of the building and up the stairs to find out that my key no longer works. I traveled back to the front desk and admittedly throw the key card ONTO THE COUNTER and told them that it did not work. The girl at the desk gave me two new key cards and I proceeded to the my room. I called the credit card company that confirmed that there were 2 separate charges billed by the hotel, I proceed back to the front desk to ask the front desk staff to speak with the credit card rep to confirm that someone from Quality Inn had submitted two charges. They refused to speak with him. When asked to see Amanda (who I was told was the blonde I had spoken with earlier) the general manager I was told she was off today. I asked for corporate contact information so that I could file a complaint and proceeded to my room. While on the phone with a representative from corporate I notice 4 police cars pull up. LOL. Apparently the REAL General Manager had decided to come in because I had "thrown the key card at her front desk staff's face and was a threat to her staff." Long story short I have now been banned from this property! Not that I would want to return! It turns out that the 2nd charge was a hold for "insurance" in the event the room is damaged during my stay there. You would think that someone would have explained that to be from the beginning and certainly would have explained that to me when I questioned 2 charges, instead of telling me that it was a problem with my credit card company to take it up with them. Then again I guess if the woman that I was led to believe was the GM, Amanda, would have been a manager she would have known this..... come to think of it a clerk should have known this too.
I have always heard of the hotel industry as the hospitality industry well if that is hospitality then I have a misunderstanding of hospitality. As far as the quality of the room, it is an older hotel, it was clean but the a.c. was slow to come on and the room had a musty smell. The FREE continental breakfast consisted of a few danishes, cereal, bananas with lots of brown spots, apples, juice and small cups of coffee. I certainly have had better free continental breakfasts. My recommendation is if you can afford to spring for the Hampton Inn across the street it is well worth the money. If not there are 3 more hotels in the same price range at Exit 103, 2 miles up the road. Go there!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jill M
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My family had to stay here several nights as we were looking for a house. The staff is very helpful and nice. The rooms are clean, and very comfortable. We woulddefinately recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morganton
Sleep Inn
Days Inn & Suites Morganton
Days Inn Lenoir
Days Inn Lenoir
#2 of 4 in Lenoir

Been to Quality Inn Morganton? Share your experiences!