“Utilitarian”

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Morganton
Beaufort, South Carolina
“Utilitarian”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family stayed here for 2 consecutive week nights. The property is not new, no frills, but was a good value and had its good points. The inn is right at exit 105 on I-40. There are a couple of restaurants, hotels, and gas stations nearby at this exit. The onsite restaurant provides free breakfast but is otherwise closed and looking for a renter. Driving south on highway 18 (Sterling Street) is some beautiful countryside, Driving north into Morganton are plenty of stores and restaurants. The old part of town is interesting, too.

The inn rooms are arranged in a big U, with the common areas on the open part of the U. There are two floors of rooms around the U, half facing inside and half outside. The interior rooms have the better view of the landscaped pool area. The outer rooms face the parking lot. There is ample parking all around, so you can park close to your room. The inn exterior appears to be freshly painted. The pool is quite nice.

Rooms had everything you might expect. They seemed smallish and contained tired old furniture. Everything worked, but I had to reassemble a dresser drawer that had fallen apart. The room includes a refrigerator and microwave, and coffee service for two. Free Wi-Fi was speedy and easy to use. Bedding was fine, toweling was adequate but not plush or over-sized. Cleanliness was adequate overall, with some expected carpet stains, and a little mold starting to grow on the ceiling above the bathtub.

The staff at both the front desk and housekeeping were pleasant and efficient. They all seemed to be happy campers which speaks well for management. There is a "business center" with a single work station that I didn't use. Also a modestly equipped fitness center that I didn't use.

Bottom line: This is an older property that is well run, reasonably maintained and equipped, and a good value. I would return in a pinch, but well probably spend a little more for something a little nicer next time.

Hint: I check out the "deal" websites before booking, and have learned to look past the "room rate" to find the TOTAL cost. In this case, the lowest total cost came from the hotel website, which also allows reservation changes and cancellation.

Room Tip: Interior rooms have a much nicer view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Kannapolis, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I stayed at this hotel in August. The room was just okay, for the price. But the ants were terrible. In the morning, when I went to the front desk to complain, the clerks acted as if I was bothering them. I told them about the ant infestation and they told me that they also had that problem at their own houses. Well, as a customer I really did not need to hear about their personal homes. They should have offered a solution or got a manager.

Room Tip: Do not stay here due to the ant infestation....because they employees will not help with the problem...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Morganton hotels

Thomasville, United States
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I had looked for a hotel in the area that had an outdoor pool, and had a restaurant/bar/lounge on premises...On the web site the virtual tour talked about having a restaurant/lounge on site called "Willows" However,When we checked in we were told there hadnt been a restaurant there in some time, and good luck finding anywhere around to have a cocktail. The room smelled musty and the toilet wouldnt flush properly, there was only one ice machine that worked way on the other side of the property. Next time Ill drive a little farther east and stay at the other hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

This motel was run down and old. The facilities were adequate. We picked up a coupon that led us there. When we got there they were not full, but refused to take the coupon they printed in their own ad. We felt it was a "bait and switch". There were both dead and live bugs in the tub. A good thing was the breakfast was free. It had plenty of space and tables. We enjoyed fresh fruit and yogurt. They also had hot waffles. I felt it was overpriced for the location and run-down motel feel.

• Stayed July 2013
Canton, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We came into town for a ball tournament. The staff at check in were friendly and helpful. The room was okay but shows some wear. We had a problem with the refrigerator so we called the front desk. They sent a Latin man to look at it. He was very rude about having to bring us one that worked. We had a problem with the door not opening using our key card, this was the 3rd time we had this issue during our stay. We went to the front desk to get a new one. The man they sent to our room was in conversation with the lady at the desk and was very rude to her as well. It's an okay hotel, a little over-priced for the "quality" and I pity the staff.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Adreian M
Greeneville, Tennessee
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The woman who checked us in was very helpful. We checked in late 10:30 pm since we were not able to check in the the original hotel we had planned on staying at. She told us restaurants we could go to that would be open and even gave us some coupons. The room was hit and miss. The bed was very comfortable, however there were lots of cracks in the ceiling and the bathtub wouldn't hold water. I had to refill it four times during my 15 minute bath. I told the morning check in clerk and they really didn't seem to care or make a note of it while I was there. The breakfast was tiny with a poor selection.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Wilkesboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2013

I was put up here while here training for my new job, I ask to be moved the second week because as a woman I felt being there alone it was unsafe. There are alot of workers who do construction work who are having to stay here at this hotel. Lucky they are being placed on the outside back rooms away from other customers but they are three big double buildings and the swimming pool separates them all and they have cut aways on each end of the buildings. I was placed in the middle and felt unsafe when coming in and out of my room, I placed a table against the door since it looked unsafe. I would not be staying here ever again by myself. I will say the front desk help are wonderful and the food for breakfast is good too. I can say the pool is a 8ft one and is nice and warm. But as my room went, I saw a bug crawling on the bathroom floor and did have something biting me one night I stayed in my p.j.'s. It was not updated, the fridge was nice and microwave and iron and ironing board was nice with the coffee maker. But they need to update their beds and carpets. I hope it was helpful to you. For the money stay somewhere cleaner.

Room Tip: Staying by yourself ladies try to pick a room near the desk area or in the middle on the top, safer.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank TAKEATRIPONTHEWILDSI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Morganton
Sleep Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#2 of 5 in Marion
Crowne Plaza Hickory I-40

Been to Quality Inn Morganton? Share your experiences!