“A Very, Very Nice Hotel...”

Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Morrisville
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Because we were arriving late at the Raleigh-Durham airport, I selected a Choice Hotels property near the airport. Our flights were delayed so we did not arrive until after 1 AM. I was greeted at the desk, by my name! That was because I was the last reservation to arrive. I then looked over and there was a frame on the counter say "Please join us in Welcoming our Guest of the Day, Jim ______"

That was a great opening and it has stayed at that high level for our stay, so far. We had planned to move to another hotel, but we have decided to stay one more night.

I am an Elite Diamond traveler with Choice Hotels so I am accustomed to the complimentary breakfast. At this property, one pays for the buffet, but it is worth the extra cost. The buffet selections were wide and varied. One note, I was expecting Grits and I was told they only offer them during the week. No travel to the South is complete without Grits for breakfast, in my opinion.

I will return to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JohnDeereJim
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Jim so awesome you enjoyed your Guest of the Day experience!

That's something we set up not too long ago, and we allow the desk staff to make their own picks, so be especially proud because the employees picked you. We appreciate you really enjoyed the hotel, enough to extend for another night...

We can never say this enough.... Thank you for being a loyal Choice guest, as your Diamond Status would indicate. Cambria was a brand built to serve you, and we looking forward to being of service again sometime soon.

Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Needed to stay overnight because of a delayed plane arrival at RDU. I thought this hotel was like most hotels these days, along the lines of a Holiday Inn Express. It is NOT. This hotel is halfway between a Holiday Inn Express and a full service hotel, like a miniature Hyatt. This is both good and bad. Cambria Suites has meeting rooms where people can have loud receptions/parties. Unfortunately, unlike a large full service convention center hotel, there are guest rooms directly above the meeting rooms. There was a guest couple frustrated by the noise, who chose to check out and find another hotel in line at front desk when we arrived. There is a barista bar where you can get coffee drinks made to order. There is a room service menu. There is an airport shuttle (this hotel is clustered with a couple of other hotels (Hyatt Place, Country Inn and Suites) next to RDU). There is Park and Fly offered for a daily fee. The parking lot was overflowing because of attendees at the very loud party going on in the meeting room. Front desk staff assigned me a room that was already occupied. I returned to front desk and they said only room left was the guest room over the loud party room, but assured me the party was breaking up and gave me a complimentary breakfast buffet ticket. Breakfast buffet is $10, has china, real silverware, more meat and fresh fruit, which was good quality, than a typical Hampton or Holiday Inn express, but otherwise was very similar. You are given a bill like a typical restaurant, along with a place to write in a tip and option to add the charges to your room bill. The breakfast staff were very nice and accommodating. They mentioned that for full paying breakfast customers, there is the added option of having eggs cooked to order, including omelets. Because this hotel is heavily used by airline staff who have layovers, this option isn't for those patrons with complimentary tickets. (e.g. Airline staff).
The hotel has four floors. The beds were comfortable, with duvet cover type bedding. Room was clean with a trendy, urban feel. (e.g. square sinks, toilet handles that pull forward instead of push down). Sink had a large hairline crack and didn't drain well. Furniture in hallway seemed worn and well used. Clearly, because this hotel is more than the typical Hampton, it is favored by many. I just hope the staff can keep up with the sheer volume of people and services it provides. Airplane noise was minimal. Even numbered rooms in the 220s are above the meeting rooms. One nice feature was the hotel had a display screen of RDU arrivals, etc.

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for reviewing your stay. We are a different kind of hotel, and we are glad that you saw that! Just so you know..... we are scaling back on parties like the one you described during your visit. Because of the guest suites overhead of the meeting space, and the fact that outside DJ contractors are difficult to control, we are no longer accepting booking that include live or DJ music as part of the program. Certainly we have some on the books that we will always honor our committment to, but when their done then we will only cater to more sadate affairs.

Please allow me to apoloigze for our first moving you into an already occupied room. I brought this up in our staff meeting this morning with both the front desk and the housekeeper because this should never happen. We work really hard to offer you the service that MAKES you want to return, and that certainly isn't a good way to start.

Thank you for posting the pictures of our breakfast buffet. We work to keep it yummy too.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Every time I visit Raleigh, North Carolina I stay at the Cambria Suites. This property is in great location. I love the ambiance and their service is exceptional. Their rooms are very clean. They have great amenities and breakfast is amazing. I like that there is a restaurant in walking distance and they are also located by many restaurant that are only 5 miles away from property. Their gym is amazing and their only a couple of miles from airport. Overall, I am very pleased with my stay at the Cambria Suites. They are my home away from home. I will definitely stay there again and again!

Room Tip: Even though the hotel is by the airport you don't hear the airplanes. You sleep soundly.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

On behalf of my entire staff I say thank your telling us about your stay and for being such a loyal customer! Cambria Suites was build and designed just for travelers like you, business people who have to be out for long periods of time and need a place to work from and a place to recharge after that long day. As we say.... We will alwys give you the kind of service that makes you want to return, we look forward to being of sevice on your next trip to Raleigh!

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Checked out the reviews and decided to stay at this property. Was pleasantly surprised at how nice it is. Very well kept and eye pleasing. The suite was nice and the bathroom was a very nice size. My fiance' did have a lil bit of an issue with one of teh staff members but overall we were pleased with the staff. They only clean every 3rd day of a consecutive nites stay so be on notice if you are used to everyday. Tho it is in the middle of airport hotel land it seems kind of secluded. If you don't like aircraft noise this is not the place for you. We were forewarned so it didn't bother us.

Room Tip: Not really a good room due to aircraft noise. There isn't a view. Just go and enjoy what it
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

We are really happy you came and tried us, and very excited that you really ejoyed your stay too! As you said, we are really close to the airport just a mere 5 minutes away if your rushing to make a flight, and the planes do fly over us but the noise doesn't bother most of our guests.

Hope to see you again soon! We always know you have a choice, and we really appreciate your choosing us!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

First time staying in a Cambria Suites Hotel. Arrival and check in was smooth and quick. Lady doing check in was very friendly and greeted me with a smile (always a +) Lobby area was nice & spacious, appeared to be a fairly new hotel. Very clean. Room was nice. King size bed, slept well, ample amount of pillows on the bed. Everything in the room appeared to be clean, including the bathroom floor corners! Very tastefully decorated and modern. Nearest restaurant across the street. The Chop House otherwise just a couple other hotels.

Cons: the hotel sits directly under the airplane landing route for RDU airport. Sooooo you will see and hear the planes above. If you go to bed early bring earplugs. The planes don't fly after midnight or before 6ish. Also, earplugs because the walls are paper thin as well as the ceiling, so we heard the tv's in the adjoining rooms and people walking in room above us.
no comp breakfast served but they do have a type of restaurant in hotel that put out a really nice looking buffet for $10. Sun. buffet consisted of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage links, homefries, grilled onions and peppers, sausage gravy, assortment of fruit and breads, yogurt etc
bring your own hairdryer. The one offered in the room had a total cord length of 18". it was placed in the corner of the bathroom so when I did my hair I was plastered along the wall with no access to a large mirror and made it difficult for me to fix my hair.

Pros: the friendliness of the staff, the shower head was higher than 6' which makes for a wonderful shower for us tall people. it was a nice hotel.

overall, I will go back when in area. I will be prepared with my own hairdryer. always travel with earplugs so I was good to go there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

We are really excited that you enjoyed your first stay with the Cambria brand of hotels! We are still new to the industry having been here just 5 years, but we are working hard to give everyone a great experience! We are proud of our breakfast buffet, and change it up daily to always have a fresh look. Stay with us five days, and you will not see the same exact buffet while you are here. Not sure what happened with the hairdryer you mentioned, but I sent our housekeeper up to get it out of that suite and replace it with a new one with a regular cord.

Hope to see you again sometime soon.....

Reviewed 16 July 2014

my adult children fly into this airport 2-4 times a year. They usually have early flights leaving or late flights arriving. It is very close to the airport, great pool and work out area for the average person. Food is good but not free. Doing online, guaranteed price I save another 20%. Staff is fabulous. They always give me a room on the first floor close to the lobby as I have poor knees. I use Choice hotel chain as I get 1 night free lodging periodically or $50 gift cards.
I will continue to use them whenever I travel.

Room Tip: doing online paid up front saves another 20% but no refunds if plans change.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your experience, and double thank you for being an entire family of loyal Choice customers! We will work hard to continue to give the level of service that MAKES you want to return!

Looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is my favorite hotel when traveling out of RDU- it is modern, warm and clean. The rooms are spacious and well-designed and the beds are comfy. The staff is always courteous and professional and the on-site restaurant is a plus. It is definitely one of the best in the area.

Room Tip: Away from elevator; top floor to eliminate noise from guests above you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Richard W, General Manager at Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

We think it's awesome that we are your favorate place to stay when in Raleigh / Durham. We really love that you have come to see us time after time. Please know that we understand we need to earn your loyality with every stay, and we will always try hard to ensure we provide the level of service that will make you want to return.

Thank you for letting us know you like what you see!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Morrisville
Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport
La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh International Airport
Fairfield Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport/Brier Creek
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Raleigh-Durham Airport
Hampton Inn Raleigh Durham Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport

Been to Cambria hotel & suites Raleigh-Durham Airport? Share your experiences!