“Excellent Service/Clean Hotel”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Mount Airy
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We got routed off the interstate due to black ice 2/13/14 sitting in traffice 2 1/2 hrs. We called all the hotels in this area and this hotel was the only one that answered the phone. I ask if any rooms were avaiable and the lady was very nice with a smile in her voice said they had 3 rooms left. we finally got there and found a line of people waiting to check in and the same lady checking people in and answering the phone. I know it must have been stressful but she handeled it so well. She greeted everyone like they were the only ones there. She smiled and was very helpful to the people in front of me even talking to their child as she was getting their information..When I told her I didn't have a reward card she signed me up and said she would put the info under our door in the morning so I could get reward points and she did!.... I had never seen a desk clerk handle herself with so much grace and kindness during a stressfull time. She was amazing!! Our room and hotel was very clean. Breakfast was good with lots of choices. If I were to visit Mt. Airy again I would stay no where else but here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AlvinB561
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Thank you for the taking the time to let us know about your most current experience at our Holiday Inn Express & Suites located in Mount Airy, North Carolina. Our goal is to meet your needs from a clean comfortable room to friendly staff and I can see we did that.
I will pass on your comments to our staff and thanks for the wonderful recommendation.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Although the staff members were polite overall our stay was simply 'okay.' There was hair in the shower of our room which raised concerns about cleanliness. The bananas at breakfast had gone bad with black areas all over. Also, half and half provided in a container to pour in coffee had a sour smell. While not terrible, this particular holiday inn express did not live up to the great experiences we have had at other holiday inn express locations.

• Stayed: February 2014
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry about the cleanliness of your bathroom and the conditions about the bananas and creamer. I understand the discomfort this caused you. Again, I do apologize and regret that this impacted your experience at our hotel. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We randomly chose this hotel and we're very pleasantly surprised - it was a wonderful place to stay! Staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were exceptionally clean and tasteful. In the evening there was a reception in the common room with free wine or beer with a delightful woman who was the hospitality hostess. She gave us a little history of the area and was just fun to talk to. Overall it was a great experience and we will come back. Only reason we don't give it 5 stars is the lack of an on-site restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wildlifemama
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Hope to see you back soon and thanks for the recommendation for future reviewers reading the review you posted.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

We stayed at this hotel on a Friday night on our way to Wilmington, NC from northern Ohio. We make the drive frequently since our daughter lives in Wilmington and we had until now not found a nice place that lies more or less halfway between the two locations. We will certainly be back. The hotel was very clean and quiet and the front desk folks were helpful and friendly. The breakfast was standard for a Holiday Inn Express although the breakfast room was quite large and very comfortable. There are also a number of fairly good restaurants in the area.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sue S
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Sounds like you just found your halfway stop for your future trips to visit your daughter.

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation and we will see you the next time!!

Reviewed 20 December 2013

My co-workers and I stayed at this hotel for a couple of days during a work trip. Janice at the front desk was a wonderful surprise. She was warm and friendly every evening when we returned to the hotel, always greeting us with a smile and a warm welcome. Her dinner recommendations were spot on. We try to avoid chains and enjoy local establishments and she was able to provide great recommendations for some of the best meals I have had while traveling.

The hotel room was large and clean. Bath and Body Works shampoo, conditioner and lotion were provided in the bathroomm, so I didn't have to worry about bringing my own on the plane. No issues with using the WiFi. Overall, it was a nice hotel and I will be staying here again when I visit my vendor again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank cburg0601
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2013

I will pass on your comments to Janice and I am glad you like the restaurants she recommended for you.

Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Our room was very spacious, with a large bathroom.
The shower was excellent.
The bed was excellent.
Good quality towels.
Good quality and easy to use luggage cart.

Some improvements needed:

We were told at front desk that there will be a Manager Reception with snacks from 17:30 to 19:00.
At other hotels it is a real meal, so we waited for it and did not go out to a restaurant.
They served white or red wine, or a soft drink. Chips, cheese cubes and a dip that looked like ketchup. That was all.
We were very disappointed. Either you serve a light meal, or you serve nothing.

Breakfast was minimal, with American unhealthy items. There was no fruit salad, no walnuts, no raisins, to cranberries, no almonds. Not even an apple.

Intending to use the coin operated laundry, we went to ground floor, to the room with the sign LAUNDRY on its door. We tried to open it with our room card, but it didn't open. We went to front desk, the lady there swiped our room key in order to fix it and we went to the laundry again. It still didn't work. Another lady at front desk told us that it is not the guests laundry, it is the hotel laundry, that's why our key card didn't open it. The lady at front desk said that that confusion happens all the time. If same confusion happens all the time it means that the sign on the door is confusing, so why don't they change it?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AllKnowMother
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

IHG, the franchisor, allows a Holiday Inn to have a manager’s reception during the evening hours that you can serve light cold snacks and beverages such as soda, beer and wine. I am sorry that you thought you were under the impression that you would be receiving a meal. Not all Holiday Inn Express Hotels or any other midscale hotel allow more then snacks at a manager’s reception. Overall we get many excellent comments on our manager’s reception for a way to unwind for the day.

Regarding our hot breakfast program, you will find the same consistent breakfast at all Holiday Inn Express Hotels in the United States. We have standards that IHG has set for our Holiday Inn Express brand.

We do offer a guest laundry on first floor. Yes the room that you were trying to enter was the hotel laundry room. I am sorry that the front desk was a little confused on your request and did not guide to the guest laundry room.

Overall I would like to thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean & comfortable. Shower worked well, but bath sink hot water took a long time. WiFi was OK.
The indoor pool was clean & warm. The breakfast was uninspiring, just basic fare. The location was safe & convenient to get to other nearby destinations.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Atravelingspirit
Trudy W, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mount Airy
#6 of 8 in Mount Airy
11 mi away
Hampton Inn & Suites Dobson
Fairfield Inn & Suites Elkin Jonesville

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Mount Airy South? Share your experiences!