“Delicious! More than enough!”

Gondola Italian Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 101 Restaurants in Mount Airy
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Shelby, North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious! More than enough!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went up to visit a friend in the area and he recommended this local treasure. The service was great and the owner even came to check on us. The bread was freshly baked, the house creamy Parmesan dressing was delicious and the Chicken Parmesan was the best I've ever had. It was more than enough... I had leftovers for lunch and STILL have more.. I'll probably get another meal or two from what is left! Definitely recommend!!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Victoria T

Chilhowie, Virginia
“Good enough”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited at a rather slow time. Selection of menu items was good, service was excellent. The waitresses were working hard to get orders out, and they were very friendly. I ordered grilled cheese (it was on Texas toast) and potato soup. The soup was not what I expected, but it was good enough. It was pureed and tasted kind of "floury" or pasty, had garlic in it, but it was ok. My husband raved about his ravioli and the bread. So the food was ok.

It's been a long time since I've been a restaurant with this many flies. I finally covered up the bread with the napkin to keep the flies off of it. They were almost swarming around the rest rooms. This very much takes away from the ambience, and it may not be a constant problem. Maybe they had the back door open or something, but they need to address that problem. It was off-putting.

It was wildly stated that no alcohol is served in this restaurant, which is fine for me. But a sign at the front boldly said no alcohol served. If you want a glass of wine with your pasta, you won't find it here.

Our visit was ok. I'm not sure I'd go back again. I'd probably try some of the other restaurants listed in Mt. Airy.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jbestep
Mount Airy, North Carolina
“Average food. Average service.”
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

The food is okay. The service is generally friendly but really slow.
I'm estimating my last visit was September 2013 but I can't be sure. I just know it's been a long time because I'm never interested in eating there when someone suggests it. I can make average food in my own kitchen!
Other observations: Closed on Wednesdays. No wine or beer. Only Pepsi products.

• Visited September 2013
“Locals favorite Restaurant”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Local favorite ~ stop by today and try out one of their specials. Loved the Walnut-Pecan Chicken Salad absolutely delicious!

• Visited April 2014
“Brunt food, bad service”
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We came here for our anniversary. The service was horrible, our calzones and loaf of bread were burnt. They messed up our order. Just overall no good!! I don't know what the deal was day!! Look at the reviews I expected better than what we received! We will NOT be back!

• Visited March 2014
Yaser E, Owner at Gondola Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
We are sorry to hear about your poor experience. We strive with every meal and every client to do our best. I am glad that you called the following day and because of the extreme circumstances beyond our control we were able to refund your money as well as the waitress tip. We hope that you can give us a chance to make a better impression. We look forward to having you visit us soon per our conversation. God bless.