“Not nearly as good anymore”
Review of Goober's 52 - CLOSED

Goober's 52
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Used to be the best place to eat in Mt. Airy, it's ok now, but just ok. All the unique delicious foods, that made you want to go there in the first place, are no longer there. The atmosphere is even boring now. Sadly disappointing.

2  Thank Croenan

Reviewed 27 July 2013

We were in Mt. Airy this afternoon and planned to have lunch at Goober's 52 which has been our go to spot in Mt. Airy for about 10 years. We found it was now (once again) Ray's. Ray's is open and we had a great lunch there. I think the menu is a blend of Ray's Kingburger menu and Goober's menu. Those of you who are fortunate enough to have been to the original Ray's and to Goober's will need to confirm.

My wife and I had a shrimp basket and an oyster basket. Both excellent with delicious cocktail sauce and tarter sauce. Our son had a thin burger with lettuce, tomato, onion, buttermilk fried bacon and sauce (a flavored mayo) - what a great looking and tasty burger. Lots of options on the menu including a dazzling array of build your own burger options.

3  Thank daveindurham
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This use to be one of Mount Airy finest place to eat, but not anymore! The staff is not near as good as they use to be, plus the food has gotten terrible!! We will never go back!!!

2  Thank SharonJ71
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Went to "Ray's" today-certainly for the LAST time! This was my second visit since Goobers became Ray's, and honestly, we went today only because we had a Goobers gift card that we needed to use. Goobers used to be my absolute favorite place to eat, once upon a time. I would choose it every time we went out. However, it has slowly gone down hill for the past year or so, to the point that my husband refused to eat there anymore-and he was one who used to eat there at least 2-3 times a week. I was there last week and although the food was okay, the prices were were way too high and the service wasn't very good either. Today was right up there with one of the worst restaurant experiences I've ever had. The cashier couldn't get the machine to take our gift card, but since our bill was more than the amount of the gift card, I didn't worry about it. After waiting more than 30 minutes for our food, the waitress asked what we had ordered. She went back into the kitchen and when she came back out she told us that our order was never turned in because the cashier was in such a hurry to go on her break after she took our order, she forgot to send it back to the kitchen. So we had to re-order. Once our food finally arrived, we were very disappointed with the amount of food we got for the price. The people who were with me were there for the first time and didn't realize to expect this, as I knew from my previous visit this was the case. When you pay $30 for two burgers, a side salad, and an order of cheese fries, you at least expect the food to be good. Not the case. One of the burgers was still pink inside and the other one was RED, not even edible for ground beef. Apparently the word is getting around that Ray's is a terrible dining experience because there were very few customers in there at lunch time on a weekday. Goobers had built up an awesome reputation, but I'm afraid that is all a thing of the past.

2  Thank CarolinaGirl301
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We loved Goober's when we went for the first time in the Summer of 2012. Returned this year for our annual trip and left disappointed. The whole patio has been torn down and ibs are on the menu but are "no longer served" according to our waitress. Interior seems like it was in the middle of being worked on but it's only a guess since there was no "Pardon Our Dust" sign explaining why it looked the way it did. We loved that patio and planned on eating out there...and if you have a taste for Carolina ribs but can't get them, you'll leave disappointed too.

1  Thank amy21974