“Did not go past the front door”

Mount Airy Museum of Regional History
Ranked #8 of 36 things to do in Mount Airy
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

A group of older ladies traveling to Mt. Airy to spend the day. We happened to park in a space right at the museum. We had been on the road a good while and needed to eat lunch before taking in the sites. We thought the museum looked just what we would enjoy. We walked in to check it out to
A group of older ladies traveling to spend the day in Mt. Airy. We so happened in a parking space by the museum. Since we had traveled a good while we wanted lunch before seeing the town. we decided to check out to the museum so we could
plan our after lunch adventure. Three of us ladies take blood pressure medicine and for those of you that also take blood pressure medicine you know what that means. An emergency run to the restroom.as we walked in One lady just could not wait another second and ask for the restroom and walked on around the corner. I then asked some questions about the museum, told her we plan to go eat lunch and then all 6 of us would be back. I said I do really need to use the restroom do you mind? She said she was sorry but she was not allowed to let people use the restroom but if we promised to come back she guessed it would be okay this time. When I walked away the others overheard her telling another lady working, do not let anyone else use the restroom. I truly hope this woman never finds herself in a situation really being in need to use a restroom and not being able to. The others turned around and left and when I came out and heard that I truly was not welcome to use the restroom in an emergency situation, when I did plan to return, or even if I didn't I was truly shocked. We decided we would not return to the museum. I know tissue and soap cost money and it probably is a rule but emergencies do happen and I would wish a town that promotes and survives on tourism would be more welcoming. I really would have loved to visit the museum but honestly was
embarrassed to return after feeling like a criminal

7  Thank razzy_10

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wanted to see all about the history of the area so stopped in while waiting on someone. The information was interesting and feel I learn something that day. The different areas were easy to see and read. The 3 fool was the tower of the clock on the building and you were able to see 360* view of the mountains and town beautiful.

1  Thank Teresa M
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We loved going to all the museum in town.....this one is great don't miss it. So much information on the area....and done very well.

1  Thank SchelleyB
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I would be tempted to say that this is one of the nicest small museums I have every visited, however I can't. It's actually not that small..... It is however, quite attractive. The Mount Airy area has a wide variety of interesting historical features, and the museum covers most of them quite well, from the Native Saura people who once lived here, to the Granite quarrying industry, to moonshining, to Donna Fargo. There are stuffed turkeys and deer, fire engines (the kids can slide down a fire pole and ring a foot operated fire bell), old weaving looms and a recreated pioneer cabin and tobacco barn. There is a display on the extensive folk music traditions of the area, including how to make a banjo or fiddle. And, yes, there's a small bit on Andy Griffith, but they leave most of that to the other museum in Mount Airy. On the fourth floor (yes, they have four floors, and an elevator) there are several activities the children will enjoy, including an area with huge foam logs that can be used to build a small log cabin, and stations where the kids can try on old period clothing. My nine year old daughter loved it.

For those among us who are fascinated by the strange and offbeat, there is a nice display on Chang and Eng Bunker, the famous "Siamese Twins" who retired to the Mount Airy area after making a tidy sum exhibiting themselves all over the world. They both married (to different women) and had numerous kids each, some of whose descendants still live in the area.

There was plenty of parking within a block or two, and it's in easy walking distance of the Snappy Lunch and Floyd's Barber shop. The gentleman working the info desk was very friendly and helpful. I'd strongly suggest you stop by if you're in the area. Fee was $6 for adults and $4 for kids, which I thought was pretty resonable considering all they have.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Coming from the UK, having married into an American family based in Mt Airy, I finally got the chance to visit the Museum of Regional History and find out a lot more about the development of this friendly town. This was a bonus visit, rather than a planned excursion, and will merit from a longer visit than I was able to make this time round. Bank on 3-4 hours to see everything and read everything.

Greeted with customary and sincere politeness, we paid the inexpensive fee to enter and spent 2 hours perusing exhibits across 4 floors. It would have been longer, but my 9 year old finally lost the will to live, or at least, read another information board.

He did enjoy the observation floor...the highest point in a building in Mount Airy from where you can see 360 of the surrounding area, with panoramic photos to explain the vistas and landmarks.

I really could have spent a lot longer reading and absorbing. Absolutely comprehensive story from early settlers, through the arrival of the railroad and on to the more modern day. Famous people hailing from the town, a moonshine still, conjoined twins, an original log cabin..too much to write here. Fascinating, well presented, immaculate and informative. There are elements to satisfy all ages, with different levels of appreciation of museums and history.

Being from UK, with millennia of history to indulge, it is lovely to come to a country where the civilised nation is still only a little over 500 years old, and the origins are still visible at every turn. I aim to come back next time with more time to spend and a greater thirst for local and national history.

An inexpensive gift shop was a bonus - far too often, these places try and fleece you for even more money, but we took away several souvenirs to remind us of our trip.

A good value and very pleasant and enlightening experience in a wonderful and friendly family town.