“Nice History Lesson”

33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Nice History Lesson”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My boyfriend and I enjoyed visiting this museum over Memorial Day Weekend. It was fun to learn more about the local history through the exhibits. It would've been nice to see a little bit about Andy Griffith at this location, although there's a separate museum dedicated to him. After dinner, we enjoyed the historic ghost tour (walking tour of the downtown area), which started and ended at the museum. It was a nice way to walk around town with good storytellers and learn a little more about the area.

1 Thank dukefan86

Charlotte, North Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Did not go past the front door”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

A group of older ladies traveling to Mt. Airy to spend the day. We happened to park in a space right at the museum. We had been on the road a good while and needed to eat lunch before taking in the sites. We thought the museum looked just what we would enjoy. We walked in to check it out to
A group of older ladies traveling to spend the day in Mt. Airy. We so happened in a parking space by the museum. Since we had traveled a good while we wanted lunch before seeing the town. we decided to check out to the museum so we could
plan our after lunch adventure. Three of us ladies take blood pressure medicine and for those of you that also take blood pressure medicine you know what that means. An emergency run to the restroom.as we walked in One lady just could not wait another second and ask for the restroom and walked on around the corner. I then asked some questions about the museum, told her we plan to go eat lunch and then all 6 of us would be back. I said I do really need to use the restroom do you mind? She said she was sorry but she was not allowed to let people use the restroom but if we promised to come back she guessed it would be okay this time. When I walked away the others overheard her telling another lady working, do not let anyone else use the restroom. I truly hope this woman never finds herself in a situation really being in need to use a restroom and not being able to. The others turned around and left and when I came out and heard that I truly was not welcome to use the restroom in an emergency situation, when I did plan to return, or even if I didn't I was truly shocked. We decided we would not return to the museum. I know tissue and soap cost money and it probably is a rule but emergencies do happen and I would wish a town that promotes and survives on tourism would be more welcoming. I really would have loved to visit the museum but honestly was
embarrassed to return after feeling like a criminal

7 Thank razzy_10
Marietta, Ohio
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Visiting Mayberry with family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Wanted to see all about the history of the area so stopped in while waiting on someone. The information was interesting and feel I learn something that day. The different areas were easy to see and read. The 3 fool was the tower of the clock on the building and you were able to see 360* view of the mountains and town beautiful.

1 Thank Teresa M
Minden, Louisiana
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great place to learn local history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

We loved going to all the museum in town.....this one is great don't miss it. So much information on the area....and done very well.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank SchelleyB
Mebane, North Carolina
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Saura Indians to Siamese Twins, this one has a bit of everything...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

I would be tempted to say that this is one of the nicest small museums I have every visited, however I can't. It's actually not that small..... It is however, quite attractive. The Mount Airy area has a wide variety of interesting historical features, and the museum covers most of them quite well, from the Native Saura people who once lived here, to the Granite quarrying industry, to moonshining, to Donna Fargo. There are stuffed turkeys and deer, fire engines (the kids can slide down a fire pole and ring a foot operated fire bell), old weaving looms and a recreated pioneer cabin and tobacco barn. There is a display on the extensive folk music traditions of the area, including how to make a banjo or fiddle. And, yes, there's a small bit on Andy Griffith, but they leave most of that to the other museum in Mount Airy. On the fourth floor (yes, they have four floors, and an elevator) there are several activities the children will enjoy, including an area with huge foam logs that can be used to build a small log cabin, and stations where the kids can try on old period clothing. My nine year old daughter loved it.

For those among us who are fascinated by the strange and offbeat, there is a nice display on Chang and Eng Bunker, the famous "Siamese Twins" who retired to the Mount Airy area after making a tidy sum exhibiting themselves all over the world. They both married (to different women) and had numerous kids each, some of whose descendants still live in the area.

There was plenty of parking within a block or two, and it's in easy walking distance of the Snappy Lunch and Floyd's Barber shop. The gentleman working the info desk was very friendly and helpful. I'd strongly suggest you stop by if you're in the area. Fee was $6 for adults and $4 for kids, which I thought was pretty resonable considering all they have.

Visited January 2014