Mayberry Motor Inn
Comfort Inn Mount Airy(Mount Airy)(Great Value!)
US$90
Hampton Inn Mount Airy(Mount Airy)(Great Value!)
US$134
Best Western Bryson Inn(Mount Airy)(Great Value!)
US$105
Surry Inn(Dobson)
US$84
US$147
Hampton.com
All reviewssquad carandy griffith showaunt bealarge gazebotruck parkedphoto opsfor salerefrigerator and microwavehome away from homeroom doornothing fancygreat place to stayrooms are cleancontinental breakfastsnappy lunchnice poolstaff was very friendly
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I love road trips. Nothing makes me happier than hitting the road, going through little towns, driving through mountains and stopping at small local businesses. I grew up with parents who lived to do that every summer, and as an adult I take road trips whenever I can. At least once a month, I'm on the road to somewhere.

Of course, I continue to have this romantic notion that little roadside motels are still in existence out there -- you know, the ones that are so nice they almost look like a postcard in real life -- but more often than not, I'm sorely disappointed. (Or scared.) The Mayberry Motor Inn, though, gives me hope again.

This is a nice, extremely well-kept place. Sure, the rooms aren't huge, and yeah, the bathrooms are really, really small, but this motel was surely built during the era when people actually just pulled into a motel for the night to sleep, and were either on their way again in the morning or they weren't planning to lounge around the room anyway. That being said, the room was as clean as it could be, and that's a bigger priority to me anyway. Water pressure was great, the a/c froze me solid (which I like), and I barely heard any noises from other guests, except an occasional car door.

I didn't stay at Mt. Airy because of its connection with The Andy Griffith Show. In fact -- yes, I'll admit it -- before we got to town I didn't even know of the connection. I started picking up on the fact real quickly upon entering town, and that was confirmed when we checked into the motel. The Andy Griffith Show memorabilia was everywhere in the front office. Although I was never particularly a fan of the show, I still found the nostalgia interesting. (Not sure I'd voice that aloud to most of the locals.)

The lady in the front office could not possibly have been nicer or more hospitable. You would've thought we were revered guests at her own home. I didn't get her name, but she was incredible.

Not sure I'll be back in "Mayberry" soon, but I'd stay here if that happens again, and I'd quickly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Stormchaser1966
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My husband and I wanted a nice place to stay while on our mini vacation to Mayberry. We found it, not only does it have nice clean rooms, the staff is great. The owner has so much knowledge about the area and Mayberry history. She is so nice and sweet. During our stay we enjoyed the motel so much that we are going back in the Spring and/or fall of 2011.

2  Thank TIGER1234Frederick
Reviewed 8 November 2010

The rooms were clean but bathroom VERY small. Only one person could be in bathroom and that still made it tight. They also boast of having an "Aunt Bea room" but only one person can show it to you and she was never there when we checked in or the next day before we checked out. We also came back same day before we left town to see room and she still wasn't there even though they said she would be.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

Motel was clean and grounds pretty and well kept. However, our mattress should have been replaced months ago, and only two rather thin pillows were on the bed. Staff friendly, TV reception snowy. Continental Breakfast was a packaged sweet roll and coffee. It was worth it for one night to feel like you were a part of Mayberry, but won't go back.

1  Thank Angie T
Reviewed 2 August 2010

There are a few problems that I will remark on but if you can get past those, this is a nice quiet place to stay. Right off hwy 52 it is easy to find with great access on the main road to the Blue Ridge Parkway and Downtown Mt. Airy. At the same time it sits back far enough where you do not hear the highway traffic including trucks. Rooms while small are well kept and very clean. The rooms are extremely quiet and although the motel was full one night during my stay we never heard a sound from anyone else once we were in our room. All staff that I met on my two night three day stay were very pleasant to deal with. Now there were some problems to get past. While the motel furnished nice flat screen TV's, the cable reception was pretty darn bad in our room and all others I talked too staying said they had the same problem. Also, the motel only offers a very low end cable offering that does not include any premium channels such as HBO, Showtime, etc. Also, if you really need wireless internet, you better stay somewhere else. For one full day there was no connection at all and the rest of the time it was hit and miss. Even when I had a connection the speeds were closer to dial up than broad ban. Again, talking with others, it seemed that this was the fact for an entire half of the motel on one side of the office. The "continental breakfast" was packaged mini honey buns. This was not a problem for me as I went out for a full breakfast every day but if they are going to advertise this, it should be a little more. All in all the good out weighed the good and I would give this place 3 out of 5 stars since I did not care to watch TV in the first place. I would recommend to a friend after making sure that friend new all the shortfalls.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple