“A couple of pleasantries in an average HIE” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy

Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Murphy
Boston, Massachusetts
“A couple of pleasantries in an average HIE”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

First, Miss Diana D. at the front desk should be recognized as providing one of THE BEST customer service experiences I've ever had! I'd arrived late the night before, after working a long day and making the drive from across the state. After working the early morning hours at the hospital, I returned to the hotel and stopped by the desk to discuss a discrepancy about my reservation rate with Ms. D. She quickly resolved the issue without drama, allowing me to grab up a little breakfast and return to my room for a nap. Upon returning to my room, she then called me offering to have housekeeping go ahead and come and take care of anything I needed so that I could rest without disturbance. I took her up on the offer, and within 1 minute, housekeeping was at my door with a stack of fresh towels. Anyone in customer service (pretty much anyone in business) should learn from this! Miss D. took notice of my situation and went above and beyond to consider what my needs might be, and how she could meet them, and she did this through simple, polite conversation. I made no demands, I had no expectations, but I had a much more relaxed rest knowing that housekeeping wouldn't be banging on my door (which they tend to do even when you have the Do Not Disturb sign out). Plus, it just makes you feel good to be taken care of, and to know that someone's thinking about making things right for you! It was as if Miss D thought about what she would want if she were in my place, then gifted me with that comfort.

Another pleasant experience was that the breakfast was noticeably better than other hotels of this class. The stuff didn't seem to come from a package picked up at Sam's Club in bulk last week, but seemed of higher quality (if you're a foodie, do continue to keep your expectations in check). The baked goods were warm and moist, the sausage gravy was completely edible and really pretty good, and the sausage imparted a smoky flavor... what a weird surprise. The eggs.... well, let's leave it at that.

Although I booked more than a week in advance, I didn't get my preferred room (I like top floor, away from elevator), and so experienced disruptive noise in the first floor hallway as well as discomfort due to my window being at ground level. The bed was a bit squishy, the room was fairly clean, the bathroom a little less than fairly clean, and the coffee pot had spots of mold in it. Fixtures and furnishings are acceptably updated, and of a traditional aesthetic. So all-in-all that was just what I expected and good enough considering my options in this city.

BUT KUDOS TO MISS DIANA D. FOR TIPPING THE SCALE!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear MLeopards,

Wow! Thanks for your valuable input. I appreciate that you chose to share your positive experience. I have shared your comments with Diana and she was happy that she was able to make your stay with us a pleasant one. I'm glad that you enjoyed our breakfast as well. The Breakfast Hostess tries to make sure everything is kept well stocked and fresh for our guests. I will also be passing along your feedback to her. I'm sorry we weren't able to meet your expectations by honoring your floor preference. Send me an email with your name and I will add a room preference to your profile so we will better know how to serve you during your next visit.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

The staff at this hotel are REALLY professional and helpful in all situations. As at all HIE's the handicapped accessible rooms are Great. The room was very nice and the bathroom was HUGE. Very easy to use and 100 per cent clean. Breakfast was nice as usual. NICE HOTEL IN A NICE TOWN

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Mike_19943,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback. We truly enjoy what we do and hope that it shows through each guest interaction. I'm glad we were able to comfortably accommodate your handicapped needs and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to our peaceful mountain community.

Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I stay in about 200 hotels a year, and this one appeared to be an average Holiday Inn Express. I used my IHG rewards number when making the reservation. Upon arrival it was indeed an average HIE. The facility was just fine.I was given room 308. This room is right against the elevator. Makes an awful rumbling sound every time is ran. The AC unit was as loud as a truck, which turned out to be fine since it drowned out the elevator. Finally, I jumped in the shower at 7:30 in the morning to no hot water. The hotel itself was fine, I think I just got a bad room.when I mentioned it in the morning, they said sorry.
Hampton/Hilton would have comped my room. I will be choosing the Hampton from now on when I come through Murphy.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Donovan D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Dear Donovan D,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the condition of the room. We are also sorry for any inconvenience you experienced due to the noise. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

I checked into this place around midnight on a Friday night, before having to pickup my son at the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown before 9 a.m. the next morning. It's about 5 miles down the road from the school. The night desk clerk was very polite. He told me about the free breakfast the next morning, and said that there's coffee and tea available at all times, in case I wanted to help myself after I finished checking in. The parking lot was nice, and well lit. I didn't have to walk far from my car to get to the building. Everything was clean and very comfortable. All of the staff members I came into contact with were very friendly, and polite. I did not eat breakfast there, but the dining area was clean, and it looked like they had a wide selection of items to choose from. The halls were not noisy, and I didn't hear noise from other rooms but they were not full the night I stayed. My impression is that this place is fairly quiet. My son is planning to go back to John Campbell Folk School, and I am planning to stay at this property again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ncdjchris
Dear ncdjchris,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We look forward to hearing from our guests and welcome their input. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to my staff. We look forward to seeing you again during your next visit to John C Campbell Folk School.

Dalton, Ga.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Murphy HIE on a Friday night in December as a stopover on our annual trip to a Christmas tree farm. The hotel is what you would expect from a HIE...friendly staff, nicely maintained building and grounds and clean, spacious rooms. We stayed in a Jr. Suite and my two 3 year olds loved sleeping on the fold out couch. My family used the indoor pool and took advantage of the breakfast and both were great. The pool was not over chlorinated and the breakfast consisted of both hot and cold items. Very good value for $100, especially considering what the other lodging options are. Will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear dawgfan2020,

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us at HIExpress of Murphy. I will share your comments with my staff, they always enjoy the kind feedback. We look forward to your next visit with us! Thank you for being our guest, we appreciate you.

McMinnville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Clean, good size rooms, and a nice overall experience. This has been typical every time I've stayed at this brand (Holiday Inn).

Some things that stand out with this one:

1. Excellent breakfast - eggs, hot bacon, pancake maker (granted, these were silver dollar-sized pancakes, but still good).

2. Tiny indoor pool - this has also been typical of Holiday Inns. Why so small????

3. Good outdoor lighting (we arrived at night).

4. No brochure for Fields of the Wood - This was the top tripadvisor-rated attraction for Murphy and I could not find a brochure in their brochure area.

Overall, a great experience. 4 1/2 stars really.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I drive from Arlington Virginia to Murphy North Carolina at least annually, for three primary reasons: (1) drive the Cherohala Skyway, (2) drive the Tail of the Dragon, and just to drive any local two-lane mountain roads. I choose to stay at the Holiday Inn Express in Murphy because it's conveniently located near the two main attractions. Two great restaurants are located in downtown Murphy, just a couple of miles away (Murphy's Chophouse & ShoeBooties Cafe). This hotel does not sport the most luxuriously-appointed accommodations and amenities among this chain, but it's comfortable, quiet, and the staff are great. I would prefer a firmer mattress, and many of the office desk chairs need replacement. (The chair in my room was stuck in a semi-reclined position. Housekeeping provided a much better replacement the next day. The bedroom is not separated from the "living room," and the closet is not fully enclosed. Free breakfast and wi-Fi are available, as is an pool indoor pool. A nice place to come home to after a day of riding through the Cherokee and Nantahala National Forests!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
smcdogfan, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Dear Ty C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm glad you enjoy visiting our beautiful area. I realize you have other lodging options and appreciate that you choose to stay with us. We are currently in the midst of a total renovation, perhaps we'll have it complete by your next visit (: We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Patricia
GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Murphy
Hampton Inn Murphy
Comfort Inn & Suites Blue Ridge
Reid Ridge Lodge
Reid Ridge Lodge
#1 of 5 in Blue Ridge

Been to Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy? Share your experiences!