First, Miss Diana D. at the front desk should be recognized as providing one of THE BEST customer service experiences I've ever had! I'd arrived late the night before, after working a long day and making the drive from across the state. After working the early morning hours at the hospital, I returned to the hotel and stopped by the desk to discuss a discrepancy about my reservation rate with Ms. D. She quickly resolved the issue without drama, allowing me to grab up a little breakfast and return to my room for a nap. Upon returning to my room, she then called me offering to have housekeeping go ahead and come and take care of anything I needed so that I could rest without disturbance. I took her up on the offer, and within 1 minute, housekeeping was at my door with a stack of fresh towels. Anyone in customer service (pretty much anyone in business) should learn from this! Miss D. took notice of my situation and went above and beyond to consider what my needs might be, and how she could meet them, and she did this through simple, polite conversation. I made no demands, I had no expectations, but I had a much more relaxed rest knowing that housekeeping wouldn't be banging on my door (which they tend to do even when you have the Do Not Disturb sign out). Plus, it just makes you feel good to be taken care of, and to know that someone's thinking about making things right for you! It was as if Miss D thought about what she would want if she were in my place, then gifted me with that comfort.
Another pleasant experience was that the breakfast was noticeably better than other hotels of this class. The stuff didn't seem to come from a package picked up at Sam's Club in bulk last week, but seemed of higher quality (if you're a foodie, do continue to keep your expectations in check). The baked goods were warm and moist, the sausage gravy was completely edible and really pretty good, and the sausage imparted a smoky flavor... what a weird surprise. The eggs.... well, let's leave it at that.
Although I booked more than a week in advance, I didn't get my preferred room (I like top floor, away from elevator), and so experienced disruptive noise in the first floor hallway as well as discomfort due to my window being at ground level. The bed was a bit squishy, the room was fairly clean, the bathroom a little less than fairly clean, and the coffee pot had spots of mold in it. Fixtures and furnishings are acceptably updated, and of a traditional aesthetic. So all-in-all that was just what I expected and good enough considering my options in this city.
BUT KUDOS TO MISS DIANA D. FOR TIPPING THE SCALE!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Murphy offers fresh air and amazing scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains while also bringing you to the heart of the whitewater rafting, hiking and biking capital of the mountain region!Conveniently located to area manufacturers and hospital, as well as three states and three beautiful lakes for fishing and boating. Cave dwellers and rock climbers love us as well! Our small town hospitality and convenience to local restaurants and attractions will keep you coming back again and again. After a long day of work or play, unwind in our indoor swimming pool and Jacuzzi. Standards, suites, and Jacuzzi rooms available, all with refrigerator and microwave and high-speed wireless Internet. Two full non-smoking floors. Hotel features include complimentary Continental breakfast and free local phone calls. Visit Murphy, NC and Stay Smart at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and IHG so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Suites Murphy Hotel Murphy
- Holiday Inn Murphy
- Holiday Inn Express Murphy
- Murphy Holiday Inn