“Great Roadside Place”

Price range: US$2 - US$24
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We love to find the "local"places when we travel. Someone recommended we try here on our way through town. It was a very good meal. My wife had the kickin chicken and it was great. I had the sliced BBQ and it also was very good. I would for sure recommend this place.

There are newer reviews for Herb's Pit Bar-B-Que

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Tasty lunch at a reasonable price. I had the shredded pork platter and it was fabulous. I heard from the locals that Herb's was a great value and they were right.

Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stopped at Herb's on our way to the river this weekend. The food was very good and delivered quickly to our table. I would recommend Herb's on your next visit to this area. Worth the stop!

Reviewed 7 June 2013

I read recently in Our State magazine about Herb's Bar-B-Que in Murphy, NC. Since I had passed it on many occasions I was committed to stopping in on my next visit to the area. Today, at lunch time, I fulfilled that committment.

I pulled into the parking lot at 12:30 PM (prime lunch time on a Friday) to find only one other car. From experience I know that's never a good sign. I wondered in and immediately recognized the owner from the picture included in the Our State article. Without a greeting or smile, he informed me, "sit anywhere?" Having visited every BBQ joint from Michigan to Mississippi, and being a native North Carolinian, I know BBQ joints are known for there charm, but dude if you hate your job, your life, and your customers you need to get out of the business (is what I was thinking).

After seating myself I was greeted by a equally cold and indifferent acting server. I order a rib and chicken combo ($16.99) and salad bar ($2.79). After taking my order the server walked off leaving me to figure out that I had to welcome myself to the salad bar.

I waited from 12:30 PM to 1:00 PM for my food during which time the server never came back (and I was one of less than 1/2 dozen customer in the place). When she did return I told her that I couldn't wait any longer for my food and that I would have to get it to go.

She came back about 10 minutes later with my food, my check, and no apologies.

I paid the bill $23.00 and left the food on the table. I would not eat their food if they gave it to me.

I understand the culture of WNC since I was born and raised here, but I'm not going to be treated rudely regardless of where I'm at .

My advice to the owners:

Stop pretending you enjoy being in the resturant business (vis a vis the Our State article). Give yourself and your customers a break by shutting the place down. Get yourself a regular job and find some happiness in life.

5  Thank Carolina-Hiker
Reviewed 14 May 2013

They say; "If you can't say something good, then don't say anything at all!". Well this applies and therefore, I will be saying something about this place, impressed - GOOD BBQ! Recommend you try Herb's BBQ.