“All Sorts Of Problems”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Nags Head
Central VA
“All Sorts Of Problems”
Reviewed 17 September 2007

Where do I start? There was just SO MANY things that were WRONG with this hotel.
1.) Odor on our floor - I tolerated this though because the hotel was right on the beach and there is a LOT of moisture in the air. . . .EVEN THOUGH I'm allergic to mold!!
2.) Paint peeling off the walls in the hallway AND in the room.
3.) Hardly any water pressure from the shower. My husband's comment was simply, "That shower SUCKS!!!!"
4.) Air conditioner barely cooled the room off. We had it on MAX and it wasn't even worth having it on. I woke up sweating. I was just grateful that our visit was in Sept. instead of MID-JULY or something. I don't know how people would have stood it then.
5.) Our double beds were TERRIBLE!! My husband commented about his SORE back every morning he woke up.

I wouldn't even have written this review if it weren't for this LAST situation - - - - -
6.) I woke up the last morning there to find a roach crawling on the oposing wall. I cringed but got up and started packing. MOMENTS later, I looked down on the bed I had JUST gotten up from and there was a roach crawling on my blanket (that I had brought from home). I screamed, shook him off, gathered my things, and went down to check out. I didn't even put my make-up on before I left the room.

I normally and VERY tolerant of things and don't normally complain BUT, the roaches got it for me. That was the LAST STRAW!!!!

My Uncle & Aunt stayed at the Beacon Motor Lodge. [--] They said that place was very clean & nice. . . and they are PICKY people. They said that it was an older hotel but CLEAN!!! I will most likely stay HERE if I ever return to Nags Head.

I wish I had taken pictures of all of these problems. . .I would have posted them.

• Liked — The GORGEOUS views
  • Disliked — The ROACHES
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BetzBOO01

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Tennessee
Reviewed 14 August 2007

We read a lot of the glowing spring reviews on here, and so the place sounded GREAT! Not so much. Pretty rundown and grungy. The bathrooms were really gross. The breakfast room was hot and muggy, with no air conditioning. We asked for a rollaway bed, and they brought us one with DIRTY SHEETS from someone else the night before.

What this place has going for it is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION. The view from our sixth floor room was killer, and beach access was quick and easy. It needs to be gutted and rebuilt on the inside, but really, the view and location made it all worthwhile. And frankly, many of the other area properties didn't look much better kept up.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
Miami
Reviewed 4 August 2007

My mom and I stayed at this hotel for two nights at the end of June. We had oceanfront room with balcony and view was nice. From there, it was downhill. Elevators were very slow, rooms and public areas were in desparate need of renovation (carpets were torn, buckling and dirty). Access to the beach was difficult via the path provided by the hotel. Most people went out the front door and walked through the parking lot rather than go through the hotel's path. Room sink backed up. Sand in the room from the first day was still there after cleaning the second day. Manager was rude when I complained, telling me to check out and stay somewhere else. When I made this reservation, I did not have access to a computer or Trip Advisor comments and based choice on AAA book. Never again. Room was definitely not worth the high price based on the cleanliness and attitude. Stay elsewhere in Nags Head!

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank Pagetraveler
Purcellville, Virginia
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We stayed there for the OBX Wedding Expo at the beginning of Jan 2007.

The view from the room was breathtaking as we had an oceanview, so we could take in the sounds and smells of the ocean.

Overall it was clean, but there was a lot of work going on so the hotel's pool was closed and there were a lot of places marked off for construction, some of it due to the hurricanes.

From what I remember the hotel itself was clean, the service and attitudes of the employees were great.

I would stay there again, pending it wasn't still under construction/renovations.

• Liked — Location, view, price, service
  • Disliked — Under renovations at the time
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
Dallas
Reviewed 22 July 2007

Granted the location (right on the beach) is excellent, but this is one property that probably should be condemned. The place is literally falling apart! Forget the elevator...If it's prime season, you could spend your whole vacation waiting for it. Take the stairs, but be careful they don't crumble apart when you put your weight on them. The rooms are small and extremely outdated. The beds have the ever-popular crinkly mattress pad on them. Even the rooms on the top floor with the balconies are in very sorry shape! To top it all off, the service is awful. The breakfast lady began closing up a good 15 minutes before the announced time. I asked for a bagel since the line to get waffles was at least 20 minutes long. She told there weren't any more. When I pointed out an enormous unopened package of them behind the counter, she snootily replied, "Those are for tomorrow." I went to the desk to complain, but the line of people checking out/in was also at least 20 minutes long. I paid $260 a night for this trash heap. I hope others won't, but seeing as how the hotel was sold out for the next two weeks, I'm sure others will be duped as well!

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — Everything but the view.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank kmooretravel
VA
Reviewed 23 June 2007

We had GREAT views for the fireworks of Nags Head, Manteo, & the whole area.

BUT the windows leaked from a thunderstorm- and they didn't do anything but throw a towel down on the carpet. We had to move stuff so it didn't get wet plus listen to the water drip in. There was water in the stairwells. The guy we reported to was new & didn't really know what to do. It was our first night-they put us in oceanfront because the room we reserved was occupied. So they were nice to do this only it backfired.

THEN, I found cockroaches under the coffee pot on the refrigerator.

AND I found trash under the bed from someone else's stay.

AND it was COLD in the pool in July --I guess they can't control that without a heater. They need one.

• Liked — view of July 4th fireworks
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank fishwidow
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 14 May 2007

We took our first trip to the Outer Banks May 7 to 10, 2007. Loved the area, not thrilled with this hotel.

This Comfort Inn is obviously an older hotel; rooms are basic, fairly clean, staff nice. But... we stayed in rooms facing the parking lot (still saw the ocean a bit) and there is a reflective film on the windows (that do not open). The film obscured the view, was in poor condition and was covered with sand and salt, probably as a result of the nor'easter that week.

They were rebuiling the pool and sun decks which were closed until further notice. There was no where to sit outside and enjoy the view.

The hotel is literally on the tide line so there was not an area to sit on a dry beach; large sand bags are arranged around the base of the hotel to prevent more erosion.

Though it was well-located, I really missed being able to enjoy the weather and view. Call ahead and find out if the deck and pool are open before you book. Suggest you spend the extra $10 and get an oceanfront room with balcony.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no outdoor area
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank espritcat
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
Comfort Inn On The Ocean
#13 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfront
Ramada Plaza Nags Head Oceanfron...
#6 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devil Hills
Travelodge Outer Banks/Kill Devi...
#5 of 18 in Kill Devil Hills

Been to Comfort Inn South Oceanfront? Share your experiences!