“A Taste of Local Eats” 4 of 5 bubbles

Blue Moon Beach Grill
Ranked #1 of 80 Restaurants in Nags Head
Price range: US$8 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Blue Moon Beach Grill is located at MP 13 in sunny, downtown Nags Head. We are just down the road from Jockey's Ridge in Surfside Plaza. We are open 7 days a week from 11:30 AM till 9:00 PM. Our goal is to provide each customer with a "once in a blue moon" dining experience.
Midlothian, Virginia
“A Taste of Local Eats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I decided on a quick weekend getaway to Nags Head and after settling into our room we decided on dinner. Realizing Nags Head and surrounding areas are summer destinations for the most part, we knew our dining options would diminish during the off season.

The fact our dining options were reduced wasn’t necessarily a bad thing and with the help of our lodging hosts we were given names of local restaurants worthy of trying for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We decided to give the ‘’Blue Moon Beach Grill’ a try. We arrived and found parking readily available and upon entering we immediately got a comfortable ‘local’ feel. After being seated, we ordered drinks. The service was prompt and our server was friendly and courteous (didn’t make us feel like tourist) and offered several choices to consider. After making our selections we enjoyed conversation and people watching.

Several minutes later our server arrived with our food. The food was great as was the service. The no-frills environment was inviting with just a touch of beach kitsch (surfboards nailed to the walls, fish nets, etc.). We had a relaxing enjoyable dinner and would highly recommend giving this venue a try.

1 Thank K A

Hyde Park, New York
“Basically, good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Found this place after reviews recommended it. It was blustery day, so without a foyer, the restaurant was very cold! Not something that can be helped, but we ate with our coats on. Husband had a layered eggplant/sausage lasagna- he said it was tasty but served at room temperature. Calamari salad with goat cheese, pecans, beets was very good. The blue cheese dressing on the side was homemade and delicious. Pumpkin bread pudding with caramel sauce was a generous portion and tasty.. Prices and service reasonable.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Twice or More in a Blue Moon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I have eaten here with large and small groups quite a few times. My friends from out of town still love to go there in the jeans/shorts, t shirts or office shirt, shoes & smiles in tow.

The service is great, the food is prepared bistro style right before you , and I have had anything from fish and chips to snook (specials can be awesome)! It can be quite busy which is the testament to good hot food, good desserts, and a beer should you desire. It's located in Nags Head at Surfside Plaza between the by pass (158) and beach road (highway 12). Don't let the small shopping mall fool you. Come off the beach post rush and sit down. The prices are fair, fish is fresh, treats are made locally etc. I saw a note on the crowds that sometimes form.So yes, if possible get a seat before the bar fills , the table fill, and the wait starts but know what? I have waited before and there is a reason they expanded, because even us locals know to "mosey" on over there.

• Visited July 2013
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina
“Tasty Blue Moon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I ended up coming here when another restaurant was closed due to the off season. We came here for my husbands birthday. It was a good surprise. It was tasty. I had the shrimp and grits and he had the fish and chips. My shrimp and grits were tasty and filling. It some different flavors that I am not used to in shrimp and grits. My husband had fish and chips that he could not come close to finish. It was such a large portion but they were good. I would like to go back and try more options. It was pretty busy and I would recommend that you get there pretty early or you may have to wait for a while. Certainly worth a try.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food, Reasonable Prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I was turned on to the Blue Moon Beach Grill about two years ago. Since that time I have eaten there many times. Every item I have selected on the menu has been very good. The desserts are great. The hostesses and wait staff are friendly and attentive. The selection of food is varied. I was on the Outer Banks last week and ate there three times because the selection is so varied that you do not have to repeat your selections. Everything I have eaten there was fresh and the portions are plentiful.

1 Thank JAR1211