“Family Adventure”

Ranked #1 of 24 Shopping in Nags Head
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest hang gliding school in the world! Located at Jockey's Ridge State Park, Kitty Hawk Kites has taught well over 300,000 people how to hang glide since the school was founded in 1974 by pioneer hang glider John Harris.
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My husband and I took our girls, ages 9 and 12. The 9-year-old especially liked it. Hubby and I enjoyed it a lot. But be prepared for a lot of heat, a lot of hiking through the sand, and a hard landing or two. Our girls were tired after only a couple of runs and went back early. The folks were very gracious and offered a rain check or discount.

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Loved the gliding way up there above the earth, but we did it inland instead of over the beach. The sling/harness was NOT comfortable. I had no where to put my head. Think of laying on a very comfortable bed on your stomach. Now, imagine your head's off the bed and you have to hold it up for 30 minutes. Plus you have on a helmet. Their helmet. I was not allowed to wear my certified, fitted Bell helmet with my GoPro on it. Nothing doing. If you wanted them to push the button on their GoPro, it would cost you another $50-$70 more. And by the way, we hit a wind pocket about 30 ft off the ground, the rigging broke and we made an unexpected landing that they didn't seem to think much about. It scared me. The pilot of the glider retied the rigging and off we went again, this time successfully, all the way up to 5000 ft. It's really beautiful up there but there are some portions of the adventure that were not all that great. The staff was very nice. I'd recommend the short trip instead of the 30 minute one I took.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Once we got past a little disconnect on where to meet the instructors at the beach in Nags Head, this was everything and more the kids wanted. Never surfed before but both love skim boards. Had the time of their lives. The instructors were great and it was an experience that will likely translate into surfboards sometime in the near future.

Perfect beach to try it at. There weren't any hard waves...somewhat mild, but that didn't stop the kids from having a great time learning to "catch a wave" and balance on the board. Definitely was worth the money.

There were a lot of surf lessons going on (closer to the pier) and our instructor stayed a little further down the beach. The only negative thing were a few people that purposely went into the path of the 5 kids being taught. Just dumb because these are not the people who could stop things quickly being so new at it.

All-in-all a great time if you are looking for something fun for the kids to try. Not cheap, but werll worth it for the pure joy on the kids' faces at being able to stand up on the boards.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We did both the Dune lesson and the 2000' tandem. The Dune lesson teaches the basics of hang gliding and gives you a more hands-on feel of flying. The 2000' flight gives you more time in the air and lets you feel the full flight experience. The views of the sound were wonderful. I also chose to let the pilot give a "roller coaster" ride at the end to feel what can be done with experience.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Husband, teen (14) and I went hang Gliding with the company at Jockey Ridge, Nags HeadNC. WOW ! An awesome experience. The instructors were fun and professional, everyone in our group had a fabulous time. BUT boy were we sandy and HOT. We booked an mid morning flight and the dunes got hot, hot ,hot. But we had fun, fun, fun. Everyone in our group loved flying and it fun watching everyone have so much fun. Book early and bring lots of water!! Don't miss this adventure.