“Dune Lessons” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 21 Shopping in Nags Head
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The largest hang gliding school in the world! Located at Jockey's Ridge State Park, Kitty Hawk Kites has taught well over 300,000 people how to hang glide since the school was founded in 1974 by pioneer hang glider John Harris.
Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dune Lessons”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

A fun place to learn how to hang glide. They give you some history and a classroom lesson then you're off to the dunes to begin your runs (5 per lesson). So much fun and the view is fantastic.
My only complaint is that it goes by too quickly - but I suppose that's what keeps me going back.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Amy C

Braselton, Georgia
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“A birdseye view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We passed the hang gliding school that they had at Jockeys Ridge state park we were on our way some where else so we got the information so we could plan it the next day. At Jockey Ridge it is a 3 hour lesson and you go about 15 feet high with someone holding a tether line to guide you. We did not have three hours the next day so we did what turned out to be the best idea. If you go off the island and look for a store called the Cotton Gin they have a tandem hang gliding lesson where they take you up 2,000 to 5,000 feet and then cut the tether line. On the way up the instructor tells you what to do, once they cut the line he lets you glide. If you do this make sure you ask the instructor to show you the roller coaster move, it will blow you away.

Visited August 2013
Erie, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Too bad for little wind.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

The staff was great and getting checked in was quick and easy. The instruction was brief and to the point. When we went out onto the dunes to begin our hang gliding, there was little wind. The instructors had to "provide" the wind for all of our first flights. After all 14 of us went once, we were told that all of our flights would be pretty much the same as the first. We were given the option to continue with the flights this way or to get a refund or windcheck. Though that first flight was fun, it wasn't $99 worth of fun so I opted for a refund. The kept $39 for the instructions and the videos we watched and refunded me the rest. All in all it was a good experience. They can't help it if there is no wind. Bob was my instructor and he was great.

virginia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“2,000 ft up or the Dunes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Some may not know that you can choose to do the lessons at Jockey's Ridge or you can do the 2,000 foot tandem flight further north near Jarvisburg, NC (right behind the Cotton Gin, a cool little store off of 168). If you like the idea of being in hot sand and climbing up a few times for a 50 yard flight then the dunes are for you.

My wife surprised me with a 2,000 foot flight with an instructor. I strapped into a double harness with instructor Jonny and we were pulled up in the air by a plane. After a few minutes of gaining altitude we disconnected from the plane and soared over the sound and fields for another 10-12 minutes. My flight lasted over 16 minutes as we found a thermal uplift and were able to circle in it for a little bit, even gaining altitude while mimicking a circling vulture below us. Jonny let me fly the glider until it was time for the landing (which was really fast and really, really cool)!

I can't say enough about my experience. That was my first time ever hang gliding and I'm now even considering taking lessons. Just don't opt for the boring dunes - do it the real way up near the Cotton Gin.

Virginia
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Tandem Hang Gliding Rocks!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

I booked and attended a tandem hang gliding adventure on Sept 1, 2013. It was AWESOME!!! We soared at 2000 ft. above the outer banks. The staff were very nice and offered ( at a cost) video of the adventure. I would highly recommend this and would do it again without hesitation!!